Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Odds and Ends - ENODMI

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
Starting this thread to post my work in one place ...

So to start things off, here's a model I just recently finished. My highpoly skills are a bit lacking at the moment, so most of the details were created in the textures. I feel it could have looked way better if I would have captured more detail and surface changes from a better highpoly. Guess Ill just have to improve in my next model. This was also my first normal map...and it was fairly frustrating, but I think it turned out ok. Overall It was really fun to make and I learned a lot... hopefully my next model will show it. Crits welcome, Thks!

UPDATE: New normals
new.jpg

PREVIOUS:
comp_right.jpg
multi.jpg
MAPS.jpgTRIS.jpg

Replies

• Electro
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Bit of a weird mix you have going there :P

I love the clean look, but yeah the normalmap could really use with those panel detailings in it to catch light around the edges. You also have a lot of the shine and directional type lighting in your diffuse, you want to get rid of that, that fights with the whole idea of having a normalmap.

The little shines you have painted in the diffuse also don't belong there, let the specular create those for you with the lighting.

Like I said though, I love the clean look and the style is great. Very slick :)
  • DrillerKiller
    Offline / Send Message
    DrillerKiller polycounter lvl 11
    nice work, i like the design, it would be nice to get all that panneling in the normal.
  • Orgoth02
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    All i have to really say in...WIN
  • MasteroftheFork
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the ship, it has a very interesting, unique, yet identifiable design. The texture works is great, but I see what you mean about simple normal map. One thing you could do, if you don't want to/ aren't able to add the detail into the high poly, is to paint black and white bump map and use xNormal or any other bump to normal map generator. With this new detailed normal map, you can set the blue channel to a neutral grey (128 ) and then overlay it onto your original normal map so it keeps all the nice smoothing of the highpoly but adds the detail of the bump map.

A nice tutorial was made by Marcus Dublin over at gameartisans.org

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5000
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02- Thks!

Electro, DrillerKiller and MasteroftheFork- I agree completely and Im currently working to remedy the situation. I took a look at Marcus Dublin's tut and a few others today(Thankyou Masterofthefork), and did a quick test with what I learned. I think Im going to give this craft second run w texturing, this time with the paneling in the normal. Thks for taking the time to crit!
    [IMG]http://enodmi.com/posting/Crate Poo.jpg[/IMG]
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Cool design, did you make it yourself, or was it based on another concept?

I think you could add a lot of detail to the texture. Just off the top of my head you could add bullet hits, laser burns/pitting, or other weapon scarring, some kinda of carbon buildup or burn on the front angles from atmosphere re-entry, pitting from tiny rock impacts (space or atmosphere), some kind of vapor trails/streaking on the front of the wings, carbon buildup on the tail from thrusters, etc.
  • Gallows
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Looks good, and I rather like the clean design on it. It makes it looks brand new, like a prototype would. Also for a first attempt you didn't do too bad at all. It's got a very mass effect feel to it, and I like that. Good work.
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR - Yup, it's my own design. I think Ill end up with two versions in the end, one new and one thats been heavily worn, so more details should be coming.

Gallows - Thankyou, I'm still really new at texturing (probably only my third thing textured, two of which were stones, ha, so they don't count). I come from a traditional painting and drawing background so I tend to be hand painting a lot of details that I should be letting the render take care of. Glad you like it, hopefully it'll improve.

Heres a quick test I did this morning of the bump paneling added to the normal map. this, plus a new color and spec maps, should make it look really purdy. Thanks for looking, crits welcome
    [IMG]http://enodmi.com/posting/normal test.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://enodmi.com/posting/normal test 2.jpg[/IMG]
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    no crits- just wanted to say I`m super hot on the design on that ship.
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    wow, thats really cool! im having a lot of trouble commin up wth original designed. so, i admire you! lol
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct, roosterMAP - Thanks!

I have some small distortions to fix in the normal, but I think this will work. Now to rebuild the diffuse and spec...
    [IMG]http://enodmi.com/posting/new normals.jpg[/IMG]
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    I love the design of this ship man :)
    the new normals are looking better as well!
    keep us updated :)
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv - Thanks!

Update:new.jpg
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I really like the shape but I don't know. I'd probably like it even more if the front and back wasn't darker than the middle part. Just a thought. Maybe it's the alcohol affecting me. Could just be a light thing?

PS: Red and yellow version too please! :)
  • Hitez
    It has no way to control its yaw?
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    Notorious P.I.G - I think I could work up a red and yellow for ya...:)

Hitez - See the the three segments in the tail? Its rudder is like a fish tail:)
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    It hurts to look at:(
    redandyellow.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Just a little painful, but the design is still awesome.
    I also vote for a lighter front and rear or darker middle on the standard version.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Looks strangely asymmetrical from the views posted.
    btw I much prefer the colours on your 2nd to last update, maybe add a bit of colour from this latest one on a panel or two, it doesn't need much colour wise. Detail wise, a few edge scratches here and there would be nice to show that the panels are metal or a material that can be recognised.
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    shrew81 - I agree, way painful, but I did it for Notorious P.I.G and I too was curious:) Im going to work up another version thats much more subtle with the graphics, and that should help balance out the high contrast that I have going on now, which I think is distracting from the rest of the ship... that is already fairly busy. Thanks

GCMP - Not sure about the asymmetry thing, the whole thing is a geometry mirror, unless you taking about the graphics, the right and left wings have their own unique uv's. It might also just be a lighting thing... or maybe it' really is messed up:)
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome design and execution on this one! :)
  • SyncViewS
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    I like the design, very inspirational! I like the hi-tech form that reminds to natural shapes, like fishes and birds. The only oddity is that at first glance I couldn't tell what side are the head and the tail, so what's the cruising natural direction, maybe it's only me, but textures could help making it a little clearer.