Home General Discussion

Getting Inspired

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Gannon interpolator
I've been in a 3D funk for the past 3 weeks because of dual jobs and long hours. What helps you get out of your funk and going when you're having trouble get'n the juices going?

Post inspirational links and other methods that get help you get your 3D on.

(sorry if this has been done. last one I saw was for UEC)

Replies

• Taylor Hood
    Yup, there are loads of thread about inspiration and provide endless hours of fun inspiration frustration, for example, "GOD DAMN IT WHY CAN'T I DO THAT?" with images from games and such things :)

Sadly, I'm too lazy to find said threads so...I'll let another PC'er do it. LOL. So kind...
  • Gav
  • DrunkShaman
  • Taylor Hood
    Gav! that's not inspiration maaaan! That's the maaaan trying to put us down!
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    all of these emotional threads substain my need to not want to cut myself since other people are doing it for me.

Nice answer:

do art or china and india or korea will do it for you and for cheaper
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I need a 2nd monitor to look at stuff while I work.
    But soda and music help me.
  • motives
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    if you work long hours and double jobs i think you shouldnt stress about not having inspiration to work on 3d. The day only has so many hours.
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Seforin wins the thread followed closely by Gav.

You want inspiration, go look at Ilya's pimp. If that doesn't inspire you, find something better to do.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    What's up with all these people screaming "NOT YOUR PERSONAL BLOG!"? Unlike these "bawww" threads, that we had recently, this one is actually related to 3d art, and lack of inspiration is a pretty common problem I guess.

On topic:
    Kevin's stuff is always related. Make sure to check out stuff made by CrazyEyes - some really sweet models.

Try to take a look at games; especially at some older titles with prerendered background. Baldur's Gate II and Final Fantasy IX come to mind - great environments and some awesome highpoly goodness.

Go through Unearthly entries - you can spot some incredible stuff out there.

And start smoking; nothing inspires you more than a small dose of Benzopyrene and other carcinogenic chemicals.
  • Disco Stu
    Turn your computer off. Seriously.
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    teaandciggies: Well, the reason for it, i think, is that these self serving 'How do you get motivated?' 'What am I doing wrong?' 'I think I'm going to kill myself' threads pop up frequently to me (at least seemingly) though contribute nothing. Sure, someone will post a nice link or a pic or something, but does it really help? If a GAME ARTIST doesn't already know to look at classic games - popular artists and popular game challenges, like you just mentioned, 'finding inspiration' isn't their problem. All of the 'answers' everyone is posting can easily be found if the uninspired had initiative to just look for themselves.
  • DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah shut the PC down. Fallout 3 has really been inspiring me lately. Also, I've been working on my Gears inspired Map and been in a rut. So I have been reading the books, really gets me inspired trying to get a vision of the world the author is trying to paint.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yay, another "I'm not inspired" thread.

Do art or don't.
  • Mark Dygert
    I agree with Gav and Slum, there is no shortage of inspiration if someone wants to find it. This thread could have easily started off on another foot but fell right into the "oh its sad time, I'm uncreative and unproductive HALP!" vein.

I can't guess what inspires you, I can barely tell you what inspires me.

Bah... go use MoP's 2D/3D random idea generator:
    http://www.ldaustinart.com/paul/speedpaint.php
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    [FONT=&quot] Gav:
    It might be me, but I don't really put that much thought into it. I do agree that lately we get loads of threads, that are destined to fail after a couple of posts, or do not bring anything new. But are they really so bad that we have to be offensive towards each other?

I do believe that each thread needs a certain period of grace, and can eventually turn into an interesting discussion. Useless threads usually die out after a couple of posts and drift into the abyss; I don't think we have to be assholes to each other for that to happen.
    I hope you didn't get me wrong; I'm not trying to be rude and point fingers at you, but I felt it had to be said.

Also, it's obvious that threads based on such common topics would appear every now and then, and since everyone wants the most up to date information people will be reluctant to read older threads.
    If keeping the forums clean is really as important, wouldn't it be better to turn some of the most popular topics into stickies? I'm pretty sure that pinning the "Thread of Awesomeness..." alone would reduce the amount of similar threads. And obvious troll/flamebait/lolsorandum threads are best ignored (though not sure about the flamebait threads, they're often...amusing); they get rarely locked anyway, and useless replies (just like this one :poly142:) only keep them afloat.

tl;dr: flowers, peace and happy thoughts ;)

[/FONT]
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Sweet tips, lol. Yeah I'm usually blasting some music while I'm 3D'ing it up. I'm gonna check out all the people and places every ones suggested.

@Vig That sites hilarious I may just have to do some stuff from that.

I found another one suggested by a friend, Never knew about www.CGhub.com but it's gallery is fantastic.

And by all means I'm not QQing over poor me. I consider myself rather lucky to have my two jobs when most people at the moment can't even find one. I'm just saying there's not a lot of time, so I'm lookin to turn on Turbo booster mode when I'm just tired.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Edit: on actual reading of this thread I realise it wasnt a request for awesome pictures... although thats what ill give anyway. I also agree with gav, gav you are mansex. Get it? Got it? Good.

Apedogs has a great inspiration/reference section -

http://www.sirmikeofmitchell.com/apedogs/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=69684b9ca990e89a3c19771c76d7fc73

http://www.sirmikeofmitchell.com/apedogs/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139

I can lose hours when I go on blog rampages! oh and dont forget places like ffffffffffffound.

http://ffffound.com/home/jackwhat/found/
  • Cojax
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    This and speed modeling: (currently)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R9cMBZnqSM

lol. or speed up video right?
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Cojax wrote: »
    lol. or speed up video right?

Yes! drawing/modeling vids sped up.............oh come on, even you would want to model this fast yet proficient some day and say that you made it in 1.5 hours. :D
  • hobodactyl
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Try getting a lot of sleep; your best inspirations will come from yourself when you spend some time to get enough sleep and have some self-reflection time, instead of just thinking "WHAT SHOULD I BE DOING, WHAT SHOULD I BE DOING."

Read a book by someone you admire, and get plenty of rest :P
  • NoisyMonk
    Vig wrote: »
    Bah... go use MoP's 2D/3D random idea generator:
    http://www.ldaustinart.com/paul/speedpaint.php

"Scenario:
    A ugly nuclear devil throws a green lawyer in a tree! You have 45 minutes!"

"Scenario:
    A bouncy flying grandmother races a puzzled green general in a crypt! You have 50 minutes!"

Sorry.. :poly142:
  • apocalypse
    Offline / Send Message
    apocalypse polycounter lvl 18
    I doubt any of us can inspire you if looking in the pimping and previews doesn't do so already. Maybe the problem isn't that you need inspiration, rather you're worried that when you open your 3d software/photoshop/whatever, you will produce utter shit.

That stops me working on my own stuff for weeks. The longer I left it though the shitter my work became.

My advice is to open Max or Maya and just model something easy. Get your interest back then you'll find the inspiration to do something else. Works for me. There's no miracle cure, just gotta do it.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Yeah i totally hear ya on that one. You really can be your own worst enemy. Since a little before my interview w/ EA I've only had time for stretching my legs per say. I haven't had a chance for a full run lately if you get my drift.

Luckly from some of these great links and stuff I've found some really cool stuff. I'm working on a piece from
    http://prikol.bigmir.net/view/45077/ . Going to work on some ideas. I've got the coffered walls working. Texturing soon. I'll post some previews in the other section soon. Keep these links going they're really great. How the hell do some of you guys come across some of these really obscure sites?
  • ironbearxl
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Just work at your 2 jobs and enjoy resting and paying bills when you come home.
    Worry about all this 3d crap later.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    The best inspiration is creativity.

Some ways to get creativity is to do something different, see something new, read something, learn something.
  • WesleyTack
    Offline / Send Message
    WesleyTack polycounter lvl 7
    The first thing I thought when I read this post was: "3 weeks and you're already out of inspiration"? If you lost inspiration that soon, you'll best try and find another occupation. I think people who do art even before they started had inspiration and creativity in abundance which is why they start doing art in the first place, as an outlet. I think a lot of people start doing art for the wrong reasons by the sounds of it.

*edit*
    Ok, I misread, /me so sorry.

To be honest, we all get a time where we don't work for a couple of weeks I'm sure (I had one recently as well). Just do something else productive and then go back to it... No need to fret or post about these things, it will pass ;)