Home Technical Talk

Maya: Backface Culling

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ralusek polycounter lvl 10
So this is something that just drives me crazy. I think this should be very easy to toggle on and off. I would say that 90% of the time, I would like to work with only selecting visible polygons. It's only for the very beginnings of box modeling that I would like my box-selection to pick up on verts that are blocked/behind currently visible faces.

So I look into this for maya (in blender, it was simply between setting your object to opaque vs transparent), and it seems that the solution is to enable backface culling. i set this to full. went to the attribute editor for my currently selected object, and additionally turned on Vertex backface culling.

And yet, I box select, and it seems to choose whatever vertices it wants to. It seems to be based off direction, and not visibility. Sometimes it seems to be based off nothing at all. It will still select like 50% of the vertices that are completely out of view.

I just don't understand how this can be default, because clicking vertices one by one simply due to fear of grabbing something behind them is really slowing down my work.

Does anyone have a solid solution to this?

Replies

• bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    if the face normal is heading to the camera somehow its going to be selected.
  • slipsius
    you went to the attribute editor to turn on backface culling??

click on the mesh, then go to display, then polygons, then backface culling.....

it wont select anything it cant see
  • ralusek
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    you went to the attribute editor to turn on backface culling??

click on the mesh, then go to display, then polygons, then backface culling.....

it wont select anything it cant see

ya, i did both this way and by turning it on through the attribute editor. it still selects them. quite frustrating.
  • fade1
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    you have to go to display->costum polygon display options and turn the backface culling option on and off there.
    The options you toggled are just for the rendering...
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Also I believe there is an option that actually raycasts your selctions. aka really performing on a 'what you see' basis instead of normals pointing at the camera or not.

Also maya is a mess between the visual BFC and the actual selection BFC. I have alittle script that just toggles it on and off in ... the way that works (dont remember what special combo it was). I personally gave up trying to find this shit in the Maya menus, it's just a nightmare.

Also that kind of stuff can be per scene or per object in Maya. Crazy.

As far as I know only Modo does that right. Every other app is broken in a way or another regarding to hidden faces selection ...
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Also that kind of stuff can be per scene or per object in Maya. Crazy.

Haha, yes, this just kills me - if you want to be sure that all the options are set correctly, you pretty much have to have a script which goes through all the objects in the scene and sets their per-object attributes correctly, and also sets the global attributes.

I did that and now whenever I feel like backface culling isn't behaving right, I just run my script and it gets turned on across the board :)
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    hit Q, show the tool settings, and at the top you have common selection options. under marquee and Drag u have two radio buttons, Camera based selection, turning this on will only select camera facing components - also this should set it for all other tools as they share the common selection settings.
  • equil
    is this what you're looking for?
    33l0dxg.jpg
    edit: damn, too slow
  • ralusek
    Offline / Send Message
    wow that worked wonders. fuck backface culling, this is camera based selection = exactly what i was looking for :D.

thanks much gentlemen