Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• dolemite
    marmosetglitch.jpg

So I'm really happy with marmoset, but I'm getting this weird glitch on my mesh. The funny thing is, my mesh looks way better in marmoset then in max or xnormal. But in xnormal and max I am not getting this weird glitch.

Could it be a graphics card problem? I'm using an ATI Radeon HD 4850.

I've been racking my brain around this all night. I don't get this glitch in any other program. It goes away when I turn off normal maps, and I can't see any problem in my normals.

thanks.
  • dolemite
    hmmmm selecting "object space normals" fixes the glitch, but of course the normals are now screwed.... If anyone thinks of anything let me know.
  • n88tr
    So let me get this right: marmoset is for max and mental ray is for maya? If I have maya I shouldn't worry about marmoset right?
  • whipSwitch
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    So let me get this right: marmoset is for max and mental ray is for maya? If I have maya I shouldn't worry about marmoset right?

no, mental ray is an offline renderer, and marmoset is a realtime game engine. max or maya, doesnt matter.
  • EarthQuake
    dolemite wrote: »
    marmosetglitch.jpg

So I'm really happy with marmoset, but I'm getting this weird glitch on my mesh. The funny thing is, my mesh looks way better in marmoset then in max or xnormal. But in xnormal and max I am not getting this weird glitch.

Could it be a graphics card problem? I'm using an ATI Radeon HD 4850.

I've been racking my brain around this all night. I don't get this glitch in any other program. It goes away when I turn off normal maps, and I can't see any problem in my normals.

thanks.

I keep looking at this and thinking its an issue with normals not being exported correctly, but then the rest of the mesh looks ok.

THEN IT HITS ME

Marmo has this... bug i guess, that your normals/tangents get totally fucked up if you have 2 points welded together in uvs when then shouldn't(IE from a weld tollerance set too high) 99% chance that is what is happening here.
  • EarthQuake
    Maybe it's just me then, I had a lot of trouble getting Marmoset working.

Well i may be a bit biased, but i find about 90% of problems(exluding hardware issues) posted here would have been solved by reading the readme.txt.
  • dolemite
    woohoo!!!

Thanks EQ! Hopefully I'll get a chance to attack it from that angle tonight. Glad to have a new avenue to pursue.

Thanks a million!
  • n88tr
    Marmoset is a game engine? You mean like engine like Unreal3 or Source kind of engine? If so why haven't I heard of a game created with it [or was End of Days one, that one game that got the horrible rating?]

So you're saying I can use Marmoset with Maya? That's a revelation to me.
  • Ben Apuna
    You don't use the Marmoset Toolbag with any other app, it's a stand alone application.

Regardless of what ratings Darkest of Days had, the Marmoset Toolbag is probably the highest quality painfree solution for realtime display of your models/textures.

Have you read any of the responses on this thread? especially the opening post?

EDIT: In all seriousness, just download it and give it a whirl. Your future updated portfolio will be happy you did.
  • dolemite
    @ n88tr

Are you trolling? Read the rest of the thread, or at least the first ten pages, consult wikipedia, etc. etc.

Protip: If you're asking someone about the game they worked on don't insult the game.

Earthqake: I fixed it! thansk a million! I exported with the .obj "resolution" set to 12. I tried moving the UVWs around and can't tell which thing fixed it.

planeh.jpg

Thanks, I love toolbag! If only I could get the aileron to stay attached to the wing I'd be good to go :D
  • wretchedgoat
    Offline / Send Message
    wretchedgoat polycounter lvl 8
    I've followed what praxedes wrote on page 31 about importing animated meshes for turntables, and once i get my mesh into marmoset, the bones move but the mesh doesn't. shadows move with the bones but not the mesh. It just seems like something small isn't right. Tried flooding the weighting for the bone on both ends and that doesn't seem to help. can anyone help me out?
  • EarthQuake
    I've followed what praxedes wrote on page 31 about importing animated meshes for turntables, and once i get my mesh into marmoset, the bones move but the mesh doesn't. shadows move with the bones but not the mesh. It just seems like something small isn't right. Tried flooding the weighting for the bone on both ends and that doesn't seem to help. can anyone help me out?

This should be a simple fix; all you should need to do is tick on the "skinned" checkbox in every material applied to your mesh
  • RickFX
    dolemite wrote: »
    @ n88tr

Are you trolling? Read the rest of the thread, or at least the first ten pages, consult wikipedia, etc. etc.

Protip: If you're asking someone about the game they worked on don't insult the game.

Earthqake: I fixed it! thansk a million! I exported with the .obj "resolution" set to 12. I tried moving the UVWs around and can't tell which thing fixed it.

planeh.jpg

Thanks, I love toolbag! If only I could get the aileron to stay attached to the wing I'd be good to go :D

splendid! i so wanna see the texture maps of this one :/
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hi, I've been looking for this answer for a while and I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me.

- How do you load several models into marmoset toolkit? and apply textures to them?

I can manage one model and one material(textures etc), but I want to know how I can get the basic platform in there as well to show off my characters.
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there. I am pretty new here and i was looking for the same answer and it is actually mentioned in the read me but i was reading it wrong :) So you have to export all of the different objects that you have as one .obj and then in marmoset you can apply different materials to the different objects (chunks) with different texture maps.
  • EarthQuake
    disanski wrote: »
    Hey there. I am pretty new here and i was looking for the same answer and it is actually mentioned in the read me but i was reading it wrong :) So you have to export all of the different objects that you have as one .obj and then in marmoset you can apply different materials to the different objects (chunks) with different texture maps.

Right, you just have a scene in max/maya/etc and every different "mesh chunk" you want, needs to be a different "object" then just select all an export as obj, load it up and you should have a list of chunks that you can apply various materials to.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Right I got it, Great info thank you very much!
  • neigan
    Can't find a option for double sided lighting, ain't there any?
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    you can turn off backface culling, but i'd rather duplicate the faces and flip them in your 3d package of choice as deactivating the backface culling can result in some shadow errors
  • EarthQuake
    neigan wrote: »
    Can't find a option for double sided lighting, ain't there any?

there should be a "nocull" check or something like that. However it is better to manually dubplicate and flip your geometry, turning off culling means that one side is lit incorrectly.
  • neigan
    i think you missunderstood me, backface culling renders the backface, but i want the backface to have a it's own seperate lightning.
    As of now i can only get the backface to get the exact same lighting as the frontface.

The thing im doing is a hoodie and the light lights up both the outside and the inside of it(the inside should be alot darker, but not completly black as when you turn of culling).

But yeah, looks like it's best to duplicate and flip.
  • EarthQuake
    right, for that the only option is to duplicate, the only thing you can do with the material system is turn off culling.
  • Gephoria
    @ earthquake: I recently installed marmoset toolbag and loaded it up, i see the console window coming up with an opengl error, and I am using a Radeon X600 mobility video card. Every time i go to the interface where it gives main menu like options Onrelease of the click it errors out :(

i was so hoping to use this tool seeing videos of it it looks kick ass but it seems i require advice or help to get it to function properly
  • dolemite
    I'm trying to get the shadows to work properly.

When I set the shadow distance all the way up to 1200 I can see them. However they are very low res looking? As I zoom in they become clear and beautiful.

Is there some way to make them look high res like that even when I am zoomed out?

thanks again!

**** EDIT ****

I made the model smaller and this fixed it. I thought i'd tried that already,but for some reason works now.
  • kb1artist
    Will Marmoset work with an ATI Mobility Radeon X1350 video card? When I open Marmoset I receive the following message:
    This computer does not appear to meet the minimum hardware requirements for Darkest of Days. Game performance and graphics could be seriously affected. See the readme' file for more information. Do you wish to continue?
    The engine will open if I click yes but the buttons are not there. Any suggestions?
  • feel_my_rath
    im having the cursor off set issue and interface getting cut off on the right in the material editor. it says to go to the config setting but i cant find it. need step by step details. plz help.
  • Rang3r1
    I have a weird issue with marmoset that I can't seem to fix. I open it up, and it seems to run, and brings up the menu, albeit after a decent amount of time. I click on the material editor button, but it doesn't register, it just sits there, so I click it again and again, and finally, as if magic, opens up. But it does the same thing in the material editor, I cannot choose a material or click any buttons, it doesn't seem to want to respond.

My laptop specs:
    Nvidia 9400M (most recent drivers)
    Win Vista 64bit
    3GB RAM DDR3
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1GHZ
  • reiro
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Rang3r1 wrote: »
    I have a weird issue with marmoset that I can't seem to fix. I open it up, and it seems to run, and brings up the menu, albeit after a decent amount of time. I click on the material editor button, but it doesn't register, it just sits there, so I click it again and again, and finally, as if magic, opens up. But it does the same thing in the material editor, I cannot choose a material or click any buttons, it doesn't seem to want to respond.

My laptop specs:
    Nvidia 9400M (most recent drivers)
    Win Vista 64bit
    3GB RAM DDR3
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1GHZ

Got exactly the same problem. Got Nvidia 9800m
  • Ben Apuna
    It's probably the fact that your screen res does not match the default resolution that Marmoset Toolbag runs in, which is 1280 x 1024.
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    Thanks for releasing such a cool tool to the public.

I had some problems getting Marmoset to run at first as well. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the newest version of OpenAL now Marmoset opens up just fine for me.

I was also having problems clicking the buttons on the main menu, it seemed like the actual place to click each item was above the button itself. But after I changed the screen resolution in the toolUser.cfg with notepad all those problems went away.

It was probably because I am still using an old CRT monitor and my screen resolution is 1280 x 960 rather than the default 1280 x 1024.

Importing OBJs works fine for me. Just for reference Marmoset likes to have objects with their "Y" axis up.

Hope that helps
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    It's probably the fact that your screen res does not match the default resolution that Marmoset Toolbag runs in, which is 1280 x 1024.
    Hope that helps
    I had trouble running toolbag on my (older) laptop and no trouble at all on my workstation. Ben is right on with the resolution thing and there is a section of this thread which deals with cards. This is not the only app my poor ol' laptop has difficulty with. Sometimes you just have to put a bullet in them and move on :)
  • reiro
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    kanga wrote: »
    I had trouble running toolbag on my (older) laptop and no trouble at all on my workstation. Ben is right on with the resolution thing and there is a section of this thread which deals with cards. This is not the only app my poor ol' laptop has difficulty with. Sometimes you just have to put a bullet in them and move on :)

In the readme it says you can set the resolution in the file "toolUser.cfg" in the folder base/interface...there is not such a file ;)
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    It must be there. Check again : toolbag/base/interface/tooluser.cfg
  • Rang3r1
    Thank you Ben, that worked wonders! It seems to work now. I have a widescreen laptop, so it was 1366x768, changed it in the .cfg, and it works.

But now I have a new error, my model is not up close in the viewport, so I attempt to position the camera for a better angle, but the alt-right, and alt-middle don't work? Alt-left works fine for rotating, but I cannot pan or zoom in the viewport.
  • Ben Apuna
    @reiro:

Are you running Vista by any chance? with UAC on? If so try running Marmoset in administrator mode. Right click the Marmoset Toobag icon and click "Run as Administrator". That should allow Marmoset to create a toolUser.cfg file in the proper directory. I actually ended up not installing Mamoset to my OS/Apps drive because of this issue...

If that doesn't work you could try to copy this to a blank text document (use notepad) and save it as "toolUser.cfg". Be sure to change the "Size" setting to whatever your monitor resolution is minus around 30 pixels in height for the windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen. I'm not sure if this will work for you though because the physics settings might be specific to my PC.
    WindowPosition 0    0
    Fullscreen     0
    Size           1280    930
    Gamma          1
    NoCompression
    VSync
    MSAA           4
    SSAO           0
    Anisotropy     4
    Graphics       2
    Difficulty     1
    MasterVolume   1
    SoundVolume    1
    MusicVolume    1
    HudColor       0
    GunReticle     0
    Language       0
    Subtitles            1

// physx settings //
    PhysxThreading            1
    PhysxPPUSupport           0
    PhysxSimMaxIter          4
    PhysxSimMaxFreq          50

// physx compartments //
    PhysxPPUCore             0
    PhysxRestrictedCore      0
    PhysxCPUCompartment      0
    PhysxPPUCompartment      0
    PhysxDynamicsCompartment 0

@Rang3r1:

Are you sure you aren't trying to import an object that's too large? Go to the render tab in Marmoset and toggle the box labeled "show scale reference" on. Now you should see a human figure which is about the right size you want to be importing your objects into Marmoset.

You can try to fiddle with the mesh scale slider in the file tab of Marmoset to shrink your mesh down, or resize it in your modeling app.

Clicking the "center mesh" button on the file tab might also help if your mesh wasn't exported from the world 0,0,0 or origin location in your modeling app.

As an example of scale issues, I'm using Modo with my scale setting as Game Units = 1.0 meters, weird I know but Modo just seems to work better that way... Anyway when before I export an obj to Marmoset I uniformly scale it by 2.54% which shrinks my mesh quite a bit. This is a conversion from meters to inches. Finally I import my mesh and it's scale is just right.
  • Rang3r1
    Thanks again Ben, it turns out it was too small, so I scaled it up in max, and worked great. No other issues so far.
  • EarthQuake
    kb1artist wrote: »
    Will Marmoset work with an ATI Mobility Radeon X1350 video card? When I open Marmoset I receive the following message:
    This computer does not appear to meet the minimum hardware requirements for Darkest of Days. Game performance and graphics could be seriously affected. See the readme' file for more information. Do you wish to continue?
    The engine will open if I click yes but the buttons are not there. Any suggestions?

Not sure on the ATI mobile cards, havent tested any so if they do not work, that is likely the cause.
  • EarthQuake
    Ben, just wanted to thank you for helping out and answering some of these questions. It gets to be a bit of a drag answering the same questions over and over, at page 25 or so you just want to BAN ANYONE WHO POSTS.

But seriously, thanks man.
  • Ben Apuna
    Yeah, no problem. I figured you could use a break.

I began to update my portfolio a little while ago and started to go through this thread to get familiar with Marmoset. It took a little while to gather up all the info I needed, since there was so much spam with the same questions over and over...

I was going to suggest that someone should condense the thread down to a FAQ/useful info then lock it.
  • EarthQuake
    Yeah we need to condense it all at some point, but at 25 pages its a good deal of work, and hell, i dont even work for 8ml even more so its hard to justify spending all of that time on it. =)
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Hi, I'm trying to get used to using this to preview my work and I've ran into a problem with a test model I'm making, and I've tried a number of ways to solve it, but nothing so far:

smoothingerror.jpg

Basically I'm getting a smoothing error on one side of the model, where its attempting to smooth with the bottom of the model. I can't find any reason why it is doing this, I've even tried exporting the model with *no smoothing* what so ever and it still shows up, I've tried reset x form, re baking the normal map several times, even one without any smoothing just to see if I could get those polygons flat at least, but didn't work.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've really tried everything I can think of. :(

Thanks in advance, loving this tool, just wanna get these issues sorted then I can start previewing all my work in it. :)

edit:

oh and yeah, gonna sort those N-gons on the top, just wanted to find a solution for this thing first. :P

edit:

I just deleted the bottom polygons and the smoothing is absolutely fine..

Really don't know what's going on. :)
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    This could be completely wrong so don't put too much hope on it because i have only used it once but when exporting out of max make sure you check normals under optimization ( in the export window) and if that does not work try flipping your green channel - that fixed most of my problems. I hope you sorted out. There are much more advanced users here that will help you if that does not work.
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i found out the problem was being caused by max's built in .obj exporter, i got the gw:OBJexporter and it works brilliantly! Thank you disanksi, saying to "checking normals under optimization" hinted me that i should perhaps try a different exporter. :)

Looks way better now, gonna start texturing it!

cratej.jpg

Thanks again for this toolbag!
  • sayris
    Offline / Send Message
    sayris polycounter lvl 10
    Hi there,
    I have this strange stripes problem.

4192764231_a7e7390076_o.jpg

I think, this because of my graphic card, it's a radeon X1950 pro. I've already updated all the drivers.
    Is there any solution?
    cheers
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    thats the max2009+ built in obj exporter, so what disanski said, was pretty much your fix, you just needed the same exporter for your max version :)
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
  • sayris
    Offline / Send Message
    sayris polycounter lvl 10
    yeah thx, it works :)
    4194185763_c4a757c73f_o.jpg
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    So I've read somewhere that hitting F10 takes screengrabs? I can't seem to get this working.

Sorry this thread is so fricken huge, I looked back but couldn't find much on this.
  • Ben Apuna
    It's F12 dude. Also related you can bring up the console with the "`" key and type in the command "set screenshotres 4096" for some really big screen grabs.
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, got my DW4 character in and did what i could with it. :)

vhulcremscreenshot.jpg

Looks pretty crap in places (on my behalf of course) but I'm definitely not gonna carry these artifacts onto future models. :)
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    It's F12 dude. Also related you can bring up the console with the "`" key and type in the command "set screenshotres 4096" for some really big screen grabs.

hah, okay thanks.

I blame Gavin.

http://www.3dtotal.com/tutorials/bishop/

edit: JFletcher that's pretty cool. :thumbup: Can we see it larger?
This discussion has been closed.