Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ancient Temple in the Mountain (WIP)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Boyo polycounter lvl 8
Hi,

First, english is not my language, so, apologize blablabla :D

I learn a lot just by looking what you are posting here, and it's a great way to improve.

So, I'd like to show you my current project, wich is a UDK modular environment.

It's still WIP

Hope you'll like it. Thank you :)

Here are the first concepts I made

T1.jpg

T2.jpg

The UDK scene and a quick paintover

T3.jpg

T4.jpg

Some LP assets, the texture is a fake

T7.jpg

T8.jpg

T9.jpg

T10.jpg

And some High Polys

T14.jpg

T15.jpg

T17.jpg

T19.jpg

Replies

• serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi nice work for the high poly u used zbrush ?
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Hi, yes i used Zbrush :)
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    fantastic work, is it bad my fave part is how nice you did the block in and paint over?
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    awesome! Seems like you have to right approach to your work, mocking up textures before finalizing anything =)
  • Shiraz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am jealous. Very nice sculpting work definitely a bookmark.
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Oh thanks, really :)

Pelis you can't imagine how much time I spent on your portfolio thanks
    Rhinokey, no it's not bad :p, and did you notice the incredible composition in the last picture? ^^ Thanks

I've got an headache with the f... projection cage of this pillar... arrrh

T20.jpg
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really nice hipoly's man sweet concept too
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    wut 3d program do u use for baking ur highpoly? ur screwed if u use maya.
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Dippndots : thanks :)

Onionhead : I use Max, but this step is a real pain... I still have trouble with retopo and baking... I suppose everybody does :D
    I'll try Xnormal one day...

Is it harder with Maya?
  • Fishypants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fishypants polycounter lvl 18
    wut 3d program do u use for baking ur highpoly? ur screwed if u use maya.

Only if you don't know how to use Maya properly . . . I have no problems.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Should be relatively easy... as long as your mesh is fine before you export to obj, xnormal should be a cinch.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    the cage is always a tedius problem for me on complicated meshes, i found that settin the cage to shaded an settin the viewport to flat helps me see where its intersecting
    also go down in your stack an select the geo for the low and hide it, you dont need it for baking and it makes seeing the cage better
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    I didn't know i can hide the low poly! Does it solve the occlusions issue during AO baking?

otherwise, I finally tried Xnormal, and I think the result is pretty good... There's still some problems with my UVs layout, but I'll fix that later. I need to continue ^^

Here is the low poly, could be lower maybe...
    And Ingame.

T21.jpg

T22.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice lighting, looks like its going well
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    Fishypants wrote: »
    Only if you don't know how to use Maya properly . . . I have no problems.

well, i might be wrong since i havent did a lot of bakes in maya but so far, i have to say its inferior to max's render to texture. where max accepts a object as a cage. another good thing is that max's push for the cage is interactive. dont take this as a offense. im just saying.

Mind sharing your maya baking workflow. i curious to know wut is the best way to bake NRM in maya cuz im learning maya too.
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is coming together brilliantly, very inspiring. I'm really loving the details and quality of shapes in your sculpts. Keep it up, can't wait to see more.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    well, i might be wrong since i havent did a lot of bakes in maya but so far, i have to say its inferior to max's render to texture. where max accepts a object as a cage. another good thing is that max's push for the cage is interactive. dont take this as a offense. im just saying.

You don't need to show the object at all in maya for the bake to work. Both high and low poly can be hidden. The envelope slider is also interactive. Maya's normal map baker is VERY good, but the AO one is awful.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looks sweet, really nice HPs, i hope you add a softer element like sand/snow/veg to soften and blend all those angles
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Oh thank you.

Shepeiro : Yep, i want tu put some snow on the corners...
    I apologize for not answear to everyone, but write in english is sometimes harder for me :)

The arch highpoly, working on the low poly.

T24.jpg
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    pretty good portfolio man, unfortunately for some reason is very slow to load the images there, maybe server is not that good?
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you :) ...

Yeah, the server is really slow, it's kind of randomly, actually...
    I need a real domain, with a good bandwith.

Progress : Low Poly (still some issue, and the shape is not good right now, the arch seems too weak) and ingame :

T25.jpg

T26.jpg
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    wow this is coming along nicely keep going!
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    little update, I need to work more on this... I spend too much time on tweaking lightmass values :D

T30.jpg

T31.jpg

T29.jpg
  • bmasterson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bmasterson polycounter lvl 9
    I love the design, but the one thing I keep thinking is how is something this old not damaged.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking awesome, nice paintovers
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Dippndots, thank you :)

The place is damaged, like it is in the paintover.
    At this moment, the scene is not complete, as I work with iterations.
    Later, i will add some damaged pilar, rocks, dirt and snow. There's also a cree on the side, and a part of the temple is burried. The hole in the roof is due to the time, too.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm getting such an Ico / Shadow of the Colossus vibe from this man, this is some great work (love the last paintover... damnnn).

Can't wait for more.
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry for being so long to answear. I'm really happy if it feels close to Ueda games.
    Thank you :)

Little update, next step, the statue...

T38.jpg
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice, this.

Can't wait to see this finished--
  • RickFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bookmarked the thread ;)
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    and with the statue

T39.jpg
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    has the statue been UV'd yet, or is the shader just to show the object without the default checker on it?

The temple looks awwwwwsome. I'm assuming the statue it going to get it's own texture :) Keep going!
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking better and better
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looks great,
    hope your looking to break the rhythm of the brickwork with damage after completing it, adding somthing of a different hue will be inportant aswell such as snow, sand or veg
  • andybozo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andybozo polycounter lvl 7
    love it, very nice tiles you've made for this peice!
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you :)

R4PTUR3 : Yep, the statue has just a flat mapping UV, I just wanted to see how it works all together. Actually, the whole scene has a fake texture, for the moment all materials are made with the same tiling diffuse multiply with the AO, so the scene seems flat right now, with a lack of contrast. I'll try to work harder to go faster...

Sheipeiro : Yes, there will be some break pillars, stones, and some props to add variations. And as I said, every asset has the same texture for the moment. I just need to look how the scene works in terms of space...
    I really don't know if it's the better way...
    And I plan to add some snow.

Andybozo : Thank you. I'm happy because there is not that much, and it works pretty well I think, I'm going to add break pieces, and smaller props.
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    I love where the lighting is going for this. And the concepts show a lot of interesting ways you could could go with this. This almost feels like a whole level?

It's a pretty busy scene at the moment, but you'll fix that. I also really hope you spend a good chunk of time making that central statue as grand as it is.
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    This is a small area, yes. You can walk in and go in the corner, but it's small for a level...

What do you mean by busy? Too much detail and lack of composition? That's right, there's no emerging element wich really stands out. I think it's partially due to the texture and colors for the moment, and I need to structure everything. And work on the statue...

For the statue, well, yes, i'll spend all the time i'll need on this, as i want it as the real focus...
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    The fact that you use the same texture over everything is giving you the most busy details. Obviously you'll fix that. I think ultimately you'll want to have brick-areas where there isn't such a consistent relief. For instance, sand creeping into the cracks (and just erosion in general) creating less black lines cutting through the forms. This will also add to the grandness, as shapes will appear larger and less divided.

Anyway, just clarifying. It's coming along well.
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    no needs to clarify, I really appreciate you taking time to give advice. Thank you :)
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    bmasterson wrote: »
    I love the design, but the one thing I keep thinking is how is something this old not damaged.

Your assuming the characters are in the year 2009. The year could 600 B.C. to the people in the game
  • Thewiruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thewiruz polycounter lvl 16
    Looks great!!

can you tell me if you used any custom aplhas for this sculpt?What brush did you use?
    http://boboyog.free.fr/PolyCount/Temple/T15.jpg

Looks avesome !!
  • Wayfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

awzumm enviro work around here...
    I ll be watching closely :)
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    The environment and ambiance is amazing dude. I cannot wait until you finish that main statue. Also the high poly work is superb. About how long did each one of those take?
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Hi

Thanks really for the reply, it gives me motivation...

TheWiruz : I used custom alphas with displacement or track brushes, or projection master for some pieces, like the pilar with the dragon head (the scales) or the arch.
    For the stone, i used two brush : clay with alpha 28 zsub, and then flatten in some areas, and i repeat until i get the result i want. Then I use a projection of stone custom alpha.

Thanks to Kevin Johnstone's threads :p, when I stop crying because he's too good, I can see there's a lot of things to learn everytime he writes something...

Gallows : It takes two days, on average. There's nothing really incredibly complex here. For the statue, i think it'll get longer because i'll try to put more detail in the basemesh...
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    love the sense of scale, thought the huge stones on the left side seems a bit too big. The lighting's really coming together, you should try to get some moke bright light hitting the statue area. That bright rigid sheen really sells your rock texture. It's a bit flat color-wise, some hints of green on the outsides would go a long way to break the "quake" brown you have going on, a touch of moss or lichen growing on the stone could add some color variation too once you bake in some light mass. I'm tempted to suggest some kind of hanging vines or something, just to fill the scene in a touch, nothin' major though.

Once you get those statues in and work in some more sculpted detail this scene's going to be a great portfolio piece, keep it up :D
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the advice.
    You're right, the scene needs some colors variations. I don't know if i'll put foliage, maybe some roots. The scene is settled in an ancient cavern, it supposed to be very cold. So there will be some snow, frozen rocks, something cold...

I'll finish the statue's high poly and then work on some textures...
    A little update, I work slowly, because i'm on several things, but i keep going, and the comments really helps. I didnt expect such good reactions.
    I'll work on the stone, right now it's the same asset at differents size, not really good... I made the colors colder too.

But, it's still a waste of time, because the texture is still quite brown, plus the Unreal sand texture (it will be replace later ^^). I play with UDK when i'm bored to work on 3ds... :p

And the basemesh for the statue.

Thank you.

T41.jpg

T42.jpg
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking epic as usual.

Can't wait to see this finished..
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Sick stuff Boyo,

I'm absolutely digging that statue. Can't wait to see it fully detailed :)