Home Technical Talk

3D Trees----Tutorials?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
gannonroader polycounter lvl 8
I'm making a test level in unity, and i'm very happy with how things are turning out, but I need to clutter up my environment a bit, and to be honest, trees always gave me a hard time.

Anyone know of any tutorials to make some convincing trees for games?

Replies

• Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    I'm sorry that this won't help too much, as his Polycount cottage seems to be down, but Jeramy Cooke used to have an excellent tree tutorial on his site. I managed to dig out the text from archive.org, but the very useful visual guide included in the tutorial wasn't saved. Sorry dude, hopefully someone else kept it around. : (

http://web.archive.org/web/20071116155322/bk-coffeehouse.cottages.polycount.com/tut/realtimetree1.html
  • gannonroader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crap, that seemed like a good one too!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're using max, the treemaker script is a pretty quick way build trees, even low poly ones.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/tree-maker
  • gannonroader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is pretty good man, but not really useful to me. Even on the low setting the poly count was too high, and unwapping that would be an actual nightmare.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TreeMaker00.jpg
    12min
    Fully unwrapped
    416 tris

You probably need to explore the setting some more, it makes really low poly trees too. Out of the box its high poly with a lot of leaves. but there are options to turn on facing planes that can be converted to regular geometry. You can dial up or down the number of planes it uses to suit your needs.

You'll probably want to set the main detail setting to low or very low. This effects how many rings are in the trunk and and branches.

In branch options:
    Adjust the Minimum branch length controls the number of branches. Its the distance (in percent of trunk length) it travels before it creates a branch so higher numbers result in lower branch counts, I use 30%-60%.

In leaf options:
    Set the leaf type to facing, turn up the size and set the number of leaves per twig pretty low. To get the leaves to face the camera scrub the bar.

I find a good angle that works (normally front or side), take a snapshot (Tools> Snapshot > mesh). Then select all the leaves, copy and rotate them on their local axis with "use pivot point center" turned on.

Unwrapping is a snap.

For the leaves you select them all, apply UVW Mapping (not unwrap UVW) and select face, collapse and apply Unwrap UVW to see that all the leaf planes where mapped to the same 0-1 space.

For the trunk, it depends on the shape either standard cylinder unwrap with relax or maybe a bit of pelt mapping, but it shouldn't take that long. 30min including doing textures seems a little generous.

It might be helpful to unwrap the branches and trunk before generating connections. Just be sure to collapse the pieces back down to editable mesh before generating.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    thanks eric. : ) some of those look pretty good
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I prefer the way outlined by Jeramy Cooke, though I usually like to model out my branches and leaves rather than use PaintFX that way you can bake a normal and AO map as well.

Here is an attempt to recreate the tutorial by Jeramy Cooke, I hope he doesn't mind. I don't take any credit for this info.

By Jeramy Cooke:

I thought I would share this technique for making low/med poly trees for games. It should work just as well for high poly trees but it would mean making the initial branch by hand instead of using textured polys.

Step 1: Make the basic branch texture. For this step I used Mayas PaintFX but you could paint this by hand as well.

TreeTutorialbyJeramyCooke-image001.jpg

Step 2: Create the inital branch structure. This is essentially just a rotated quad with an extra poly pulled out. This structure is great because it gives you good fill and fullness from a lot of directions as well as hinting at the structure of the smaller branches.

TreeTutorialbyJeramyCooke-image002.jpg

Step 3: Loft a trunk. Lofting is by far the best way to make a low poly trunk as you can very accurately control the number of verts by using multiple cross sections with different numbers of sides. The final benefit is that the lofter will give you a really nice set of UVs that would be a pain to create by hand. One final thing to keep in mind is the locations where you intend branches to sprout off of.

TreeTutorialbyJeramyCooke-image003.jpg

Step 4: This is where it gets interesting. Trees are essentially a fractal struture so I set about building it in a fractal way. I take the initial branch and copy it a few times and scale and rotate it to create a cluster of 3 branches.

Step 5: I then take that cluster from step 4 and clone it three times at the top of the tree. Then grab the polys from the top of the tree that those branches are attached to and clone off a copy. You now have a new larger cluster.

TreeTutorialbyJeramyCooke-image004.jpg

Step 6: Then repeat steps 4 and 5 until you have a whole tree. You should only have to do this 2 or 3 times till the large branch you have pretty much fills in half the tree. This fractal approach mimics the way a tree grows and is heavily influenced by the shapes you choose for the initial trunk.

TreeTutorialbyJeramyCooke-image005.jpg

As you can see you end up with a nice full tree for very few polygons. The only real downside is that there is a lot of overdraw for realtime applications. Hope this helps some folks.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    try reverse-engineering some of tree-d's trees
    http://www.frecle.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=780
    or just nick them :)
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    I like to go into a game that i know has awesome looking trees, then try to recreate that affect. If you take a closer look, you will easily see how something is put together.
  • gannonroader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    these are all great guys. Thanks alot. I made a few, but now i'd really like to make some spruce trees, but can't seem to find any for that :/
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It kind of depends on how dense and what variety.
    Spaced out and sparse like a blue spruce, or short and bushy like a dwarf spruce?

Do enough of these and you start to become a plant nerd... wee.

For the sparse spruce I would use the same methods, create a trunk in this case a stick populate it with branches a few ways, the particle method works but takes some time to set up, (thats why I like treemaker it uses the same system but automates it).

I would probably just make a few different branches and use a script like Neil Blevins Object Painter Script to randomize the branches and click place each branch on the trunk.

Hopefully its pretty clear what you would do with the dense and stubby version...
  • gannonroader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    definitely "spaced out and sparse"
  • Lamoot
  • mayaterror
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NG PLANT! NG Plant, NG Plant, NG Plant! I was killing myself trying everything from modifying the AEC Extended trees to the Tree Maker plugin you guys mentioned to just outright modeling one from scratch. I was not happy with any of it and wasn't about to commit to (or pay for) Speed Tree, Plant Life, Tree Magick, or any of those commercial plant-making programs.

NG Plant is the BOMB. Completely free and open source, it's kind of a one-trick pony in that it only makes plants, but it completely changed everything concerning the plants for my current project. It took about 30 minutes to figure it out, and it has some things that could be better, but what do you want - it's free!

You have to provide textures, and it only supports TGA format. You can then export to OBJ and import into 3DS or Maya and then substitute any other texture format until your heart's content. NG Plant also has Spherical and Cylindrical Billboarding capabilities, so you can get a good preview of what your billboarded canopies and flowers might look like.

http://ngplant.sourceforge.net/
  • mienq.blom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im no gaming expert - I only specialize in architectural 3d's, so please excuse the ignorant question, but can you guys not make use of rpc's as we do with normal 3d's? It keeps your file small & the result realistic.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    RPC's?
    Anyways good tutoiral, favorited!