Home Contests & Challenges Archives

UC 2009 'END GAME' | Sparklepants | 3D

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
Just reserving a space for Team Sparklepants over here.

Team:
-jeffro
-AirRun
-Sacrum (new addition)

We're still working on our concept idea. We'll update when we get it sorted out.

Edit:
Here's our temp logo. I'm not happy with the font. We was less colors and more sparkle.

logo.jpg

Replies

• AirRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This will be Fun! Good luck to everyone.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Best team name right here.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So our concept is a art nouveau greenhouse (currently in the concept art doesn't reflect this yet) with alien missiles smashing the place up. Maybe have some ooze coming from the missiles and mutating the plants that are ripping apart the greenhouse.

concept01.jpg

and some art nouveau inspiration

DSC_0428.JPG
  • sacrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacrum polycounter lvl 11
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    mmm sparklepants. Interesting concept, look forward to seeing this
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    i have a thing for greenhouses.. MAKE IT HAPPEN!
  • L3XICON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love the idea of hugely mutating vegitation :D
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quick update. I got some blockout meshes in Unreal and Airrun started on the glass, terrain, and sky. Still real early.

UC2009_wip_001.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the latest update. Just working the scene out a bit and getting the block in assets done. I raised da roof, added some stand in missiles, planters, etc. I think the planters are going to get moved. Once we have the whole thing blocked in and looking decent then we'll smash it all up.

UC2009_wip_003.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Nothin' spells out the end of days quite like a cool "greenhouse effect".

Get it?

HAR HAR! ;)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We haven't had any time to work on this lately. Here's a small update. Just adjusting the composition a bit of the scene. We should have a meatier update next week.

UC2009_wip_004.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest update. I'm hoping to get the modeling closer to final. I figured just smash it all up after it's built and textured. Hopefully we'll get some assets textured soon. Still needs 75% more art nouveau though I think

UC2009_wip_005.jpg
  • adamajah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adamajah polycounter lvl 12
    Looks cool Jeff! When's the deadline?

HIG2007-4Eva!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks homie. It's due Nov 16th I guess.

So here's the latest update. Sacrum got his sweet alien style missiles in. AirRun is working on the plants, tables, and the glass. Started to put one hole in the ceiling. I'm really trying to get this textured Then smash it up more.

UC2009_wip_006.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the latest update. Just getting some base values for the textures down. still playing around with all that. Also the lighting isn't finished really. Just some fast lighting to see how the bars are working with the lightmaps.

UC2009_wip_007.jpg
  • AirRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a little update on some prelim foliage shader

UC2009_wip_008.JPG
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubble and plants are going in. Still need to get the rest of the block in geometry modeled out.

UC2009_wip_009.jpg
  • zortech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zortech polycounter lvl 17
    Its coming along nicely. The greenhouse feeling however could be improved. Maybe by a colder light color, some fog, or simply more foilage.

The mutating alien squirt will be awesome :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting the smashed up stuff in there. Also added some temp fog in there.

UC2009_wip_010.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UC2009_wip_007.jpg
    I really liked this shot, not too many color elemnts to compete with the light coming into the greenhouse and reads a lot better. Might try to tone down the foliage and pots a bit, at least color wise. The effects also really sold the idea of glass paneling.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits Crazyfingers. The color palette will definitely be worked out once things are done.

Here's the latest update. Still have a bunch of texturing to do, broken glass, plant piles, more plant variation, finish the missiles, ummm jeez yeah loads of stuff here to do still.

UC2009_wip_011.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glass shards starting to go in. The final glass look should be pretty nice. The back area instead of another missile is going to be overgrowth of plants. Figured it'd be some nice contrast to the damage up front. Till laying down base materials on things. That should be done this week. The larger support beams need some vertical elements on them. The circley-curvey thin darker supports need to be reworked as well. That should happen this week. I have a feeling that mutant plants are not going to make it in the scene unless there is an extension by a week. Any crits are appreciate! Thanks,

UC2009_wip_012.jpg
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    It's looking good!

My crits:
    - green fog is a bit much for me - adds a lot of contrast to the scene
    - Would love to see a whole lot more plant life. Taller plants, vines growing up the walls and over the ceiling. Lush plants and large leaves breaking up the silhouette.
    - some sprinkler like systems. Maybe a water pipe running the length the room on the ceiling and then smaller pipes and sprinklers coming off the main pipe and to the sides?
    - Lastly, I know this is far from complete but lighting is feeling a bit flat to me. There isn't a strong focal point or nice pool of light. Could lower the light source (sun) a bit and have nice warm light and shadows coming through the sidewalls. Even a few light beams.

Looking forward to the crashed pod!

-Tyler
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We started adding in more foliage, removed the back debris and missile, and got a few more objects textured.

Still have to add more variety to the plant life, finish the missile, polish the textures, actually light it, add sprinkles, redo the back wall/door, and maybe add a few random greenhouse props.

This is in the UDK thing with 1 directional light and the lightmass setting tweaked a bit. It took forever. Not totally sold on using this for UC just yet. If we can get the renderfarm thing going we might use it. Otherwise I think we'll just stick with what we have.

UC2009_wip_013b.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update today. Probably won't get much time to work on it this weekend. Still have a few huge issues here and there. The glass material got some more work and now has a super cool frosted edge look to it. the back wall and the support curly beams got some modeling love. They just need to be textured now. Still needs sprinklers and more plant variety. Missile model should be done early next week. The green lighting up front is supposed to be from the missile.

UC2009_wip_015.JPG
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mixed the red herbs with the green to make a super healing potion...
    (read: reminds me of some older Resident Evil games)

Loving the vegetation, really great stuff!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAHA! Yeah I can see the Resident Evil reference. We'd have to set it to be a stormy night outside though I think.

So we need some PC reference in the scene. Sorta planning on the missile for that. But maybe we can come up with something else instead.

Glass still needs lot of shattering going on, missile needs to get wrapped up, a sprinkler system if we have time, lighting, and just polish over all for the next week.

UC2009_wip_016.JPG
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a light bake going and free time so i hope you don't mind a paintover!

4087519254_eca87f2140_o.jpg

Like your scene, cool effects and not every entry in this contest features a green house, hehe. Problem i see though is it's just a bit hard to read at first glance. A hot pink sky doesn't really go with the greenhouse motif, the green fog is also a bit confusing and expands the pallet a bit much i think (but that's just personal preference).

The plants are coming together, especially like the flora in the back, but i think if you could get some really well defined leaves in the foreground it would really sell the scene as a whole, those plants as they stand are hard to see with the current lighting.

Keep it up!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I think you guys need a better glass effect :\
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    I agree, I think the problem is that there is too much distortion on it.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits and the paintover!

Good point on the lighting. We'll probably get started on that today. I'll definitely add some more plants up close. That'll probably help give a sense of scale as well.

Yeah the glass is super distorted. Once we get the stained glass door in the back look good we'll probably end up toning down the plain glass windows. Of course that means we'll have to do something with the exterior area. We also have to break the glass up a lot.

Thanks again guys. We are definitely going to work in those crits.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still tweaking out the glass shader, adding in a few extra things, finishing the missile/needle thingy, polishing, lighting, etc. we tried to work in most of the crits though.

UC2009_wip_017.JPG
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    It's coming along. Was looking for this a while back to share, but when I saw your scene I had flashbacks to this gears enviro. Lots of foliage and earthly elements.
    Highres_Screenshot_Conservatory.jpg
  • AirRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Missile low res model is pretty close to being done so we put that in. Still need more moss, plant variety, glass cracks, light practicals for some warmer lighting as well.

UC2009_wip_019.JPG

Oh and the green glowy in the missile is temp.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest update. Still a few things to wrap up and finalize the lighting.

UC2009_wip_021.JPG
  • AirRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another UpdateUC2009_wip_022P.JPG
  • AirRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is our Final submission shots

Beauty shot 01
    BeautyShot01.jpg

Beauty shot 02
    BeautyShot02.jpg

Concept

ConceptSheet01.jpg

Construction and who did what

ConstructionShot01.jpg

Diffuse sheet

TextureSheet01.jpg

Normal Sheet
    TextureSheet02.jpg

Specular (we derived most the specs based on diffuse)

TextureSheet03.jpg