Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

generic military shootey man

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
So started this 4 days ago after getting way too inspired by cedric's stuff (bit too much Arma2 as well). Really need a realistic and somewhat detailed character for my folio/knowledge. Also made a decision to basemesh the cabbage out of alot more stuff, was getting lazy making blobby sculpts all over the place.

Anyways, just my blockin and rough first pass biz so far (took the pouches a bit further as a proof of concept type thing, still not done tho). More basemeshing to go (and the head is still really buggin me).

(and im trying zb bpr ^______^)

02a.jpg

02b.jpg

01a1.jpg

Replies

• Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    aww shit. its going down,
    freakin love the clothing folds.
  • Darkleopard
    really nice cloth. Hes coming along great
  • mr_ace
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    i'm always a fan of your work Nizza and this is looking really nice too, hope you get it finished!
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great so far! Lookin' forward to seeing this guy come to life.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    bonebrew: haha, cheers man ^_^
    darkleopard: thank you :) (woo more aussies on the polycounts)
    mr_ace: cheers bro, hoping i can finish this dude too
    rion411: :)
    Carrie1: bums to you too man : 3

Mad props for the kind words. Kindof a weak update but couldn't sleep. Still shifting things around on the head, not happy with it so far (not sure if texture will make it look "realistic" or what atm). Crits always welcome ^^
    (also there's a hat now :3)

02c.jpg
  • afisher
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Looking great so far dude. Those pant folds are lookin' sexy! Good to see some new stuff from you :)
  • Guedin
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedin polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome work as always !
  • Constructor
    Really loving his face right now.
  • EiGHT
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    Really feeling this man!!!

Glad to see you back and postin.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher: thanks man, appreciate it ^_^
    Guedin: bonjour (cheers bro :P)
    Constructor: thanks man, hope its turning out alright
    Eight: ^_^

so umm, really loosin steam quick on this dude, not a good thing.
    Still tweaking the head and sculpted some arms/gloves out. I might try making his m4 rifle next to change up the pace, see if i can get back into it propidos

03a.jpg

03b.jpg
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    looks ace nizza, at first I wondered if the head was a little small, but then I figured its just cos the packs around his waist feel a little over scale maybe?

Yeah get the gun done to get some fire back in your belly man, it would be awesome to see this guy finished.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Looking pretty sick! I like the way you did the assets on his belt and chest and you have a good knowledge of cloth folds. Can't wait to see more :)
  • praetor187
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking awesome, dont loose that steam keep going :)
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    seth: ^_^ cheers bro, and yeh i still think his head might be a lil too tiny :P
    Torch: thank you
    praetor187: ^_^

Ok so kinda busted out/half assed the rest so i can start workin on the low pol and the m4 on the side. Gotta move some junk around still but yeh...

04a.jpg

04b.jpg
  • Del
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Looks hotsauce! Good job man!
    Serious business ^ _ ^
  • Alex Pointer
    This work is top notch! As to whether or not the head is too big-well that depends on your reference. I mean, look at Josh Brolin and try to tell me his head isn't too big (it seriously is way too big). Then, look at Dwight Howard's head and it looks like it belongs on someone that is about 5'10"...it all depends on your reference.

Also, I think that the pockets on his vest are just making the sillouette of his chest larger than usually, which fools the eye a bit. I think it is all perfectly fine-unless it is supposed to be Josh Brolin.:)
  • MeintevdS
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Something about the folds near his shin bothers me. and mostly the left leg (viewers right). Could be that it's just the big highlight that jumps out to me, but something feels off for me.

Other than that I like what you've got there, head seems the right size to me. Good to see your work again here on the forums. Did you ever end up finishing your necromancer girl? (now that I'm asking, might remember seeing something of her on cghub...)
  • Guedin
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedin polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great man ! Hopefully you gonna finish this one ;)
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good man, can't wait to see the low poly!

I do have one crit though its that the hands or at least the fingers could do with one more pass, his middle finger is the same length as his pointer and ring fingers. Plus he doesn't have nails, small detail yes, but you have all the stitching on his vest so it wouldnt hurt if he had nails.
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    WOW.... man this is kicking some serious ass. Everything just looks so natural.... you sir make me want to be a better artist.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    man, please don't take this the wrong way this is beast. But do you think the triceps need some definition if his biceps are that defined? (just 2cents)
  • ericdigital
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    All that cloth is looking so good, killer piece so far!
  • Ravanna
    everything is great, but the thickness of the harness/vest material is annoying me. FXT Nylon is usually about 1/3 of that thickness, or am i reading it wrong?
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    del: woop, cheers man ^^
    alex: defo, its somthing im still thinkin about, that and im not sure everything on his vest is 100% proper scale ^^; (might still take some tweaking)
    meintevdS: thanks man, ill defo add it to mah list of revision biz. And i kinda finished that other chick, by finish i mean i screengrabbed what i had and called it finished ^^;
    Guedin: hehe, come to far, cant give up now :P
    Sukotto: Definitley! someone else mentioned the fingers too, that and the lack of deets is totes laziness on my part :P
    duncan: no you ^___^ (thanks man)
    alberto: agreed, triceps be going on the list :)
    ericdigital: thank you
    ravanna: haha, i have no idea (but im p sure you're right). I kinda jumped between ref but this totes should've been thinner since theres no padding armour in it. Ill see if i can get an easy workaround to it, good eye ^^

phew, thanks for the replies and awesome crits erryone, definitely helps. I'll make sure to go back over and tighten biz up in the next day or two.

In the meantime i'm working on his shooty gun (m4). And kinda just pooped out a super rough start on a fresh char just now which looks way to much like a man :shifty: (i swear imma finish one thing at a time).

01a.jpg
  • Sputch
    Offline / Send Message
    Sputch polycounter lvl 18
    Beautiful. I was really rocked by that Cedric stuff too and I think you've captured some of my favorite qualities from that, namely the chiseled, crisp drapery. Very clean too.
    The girls looking cool, but do make sure to finish this guy, I got passed over for work not too long ago because I didn't have something like this in my portfolio. Guess I better get started on one as well eh? Did you make your own stitch brush?
    Kickass, keep it up!
  • Kosai106
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    Hey man, that looks really cool so far! :)
    One minor thing tho: You might want to turn the magazines around, so they're downside/up in the pouches.

In reality, if it's turned topside/up, then you're indicating that the magazine is either empty or you've used some of the ammunition in it. Just a heads up.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    Sputch: cheers man ^^ and yeah, it was just a plain white rectabgle with some brush settings in zb :)
    Kosai106: haha, i totes noticed that just after i made them, realised they should be the other way round :P Kinda hoping only the open pouch is visible, in which case he might've fired some shots from that mag previously? (maybe ^^)

sooo, got my retopo and uv's laid out today (they're horrible). Still got some sculpt tweaks which means rebaking biz but yeh... also had to take a sick day on friday so i spent most of the day sleeping but tried working out his m4, still really early i guess :\
    Ended up with 9200-ish tris tho which i guess is alright. (just maya grabs an lc shader, gonna have to learn new marmo or cryengine mebbe ^^)

...time to watch new korra :D

05a.jpg

05b.jpg

05c.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    really really really cruddy "pose" tests from this morning, using soft select and manually moving verts around :poly122: Gotta move the arms more and try a firing kinda pose too

Imma stop spamming useless crud and get some proper work in (guns modelling!) :poly136:

05d.jpg
  • Ayzon
    Is the M4 really so big?
    Awesome work. :-)
  • Kosai106
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    Ayzon wrote: »
    Is the M4 really so big?
    Awesome work. :-)

Yeah it actually is.
  • MeintevdS
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Tsk tsk Nizza I think you forgot a few pieces on the gun there :p

I complained about the fold before, but now that it's baked and lit differently it seems to work just fine. Sexy bake, keep it up!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    pretty slick Nizza,

his neck is looking kinda weird in that first pose, a little too much tapering into the head I think, maybe more Ryan Reynolds?
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    This is amazing. His wrists are a bit too thick though, it makes his hands feel almost like ogre hands.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Could you go over how you made the low poly for this?!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ayzon: haha, tbh i never have the proper scale when i make guns, hope its about right
    Kosai106: glad it looks about right scale ^^
    MeintevdS: haha, its an assemble your own gun type deal... totes just missing a few bits ^^ (also cheers man, i was planning to go back in and fix them up too like i did on the hands/arms but hope the folds turned out alright)
    Scudz: dude yuss! aws ref man, agree on the neck biz completley
    frell: ill see how his wrists go after i get a proper rig/posing on him (and sent you a bundle of pm's, but for anyone else it is just the decim'd high poly sculpt back in maya and me making polygons from scratch over the top, no trickery from me).

uggh, so actually kindof busy with work this week... can't be doin nothing like i was last week :(
    Feel pretty shitty about not posting art with a post but i gotta remind myself to finish this mofo. Got started on the texturing and did more gun stuff... and started learning cryengine, see if it makes a sexy final pic ^^

If anyone has some maya to cryengine fancy final pics tutorials, defo would be into checking them out :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Nizza - Looking really nice buddy, bake turned out super solid.
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    nice one broski, lookin mad hot
  • switz
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    Out of all of your detail - I love the pants-fabric the most! Fantastic work on that!!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    jay: chur bro :)
    ferg: ^__________________^
    switz: haha, thanks man, cloth is still p fun

soooo, its been like 2 weeks since i touched this shit wtf is wrong with me >:{
    anyways, kinda wrapping up some work but its fuggin hot up in here and theres no ac in my apartment... anyways. Finally tried testing cryengine, still fuggin confusing v UDK but whatevs. Diggin xoliuls max shader, just started texturing btw, so mostly ao and flat cols.

also like an hour concept sculptin another char i gotta do for my folio, based off an awsome concept by my art hero salaryman (http://calumalexanderwatt.blogspot.ca/)

06b.jpg

06a.jpg

01a1.jpg
  • Funky Bunnies
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    shooteyman is lookin madly badass nizza!
    you needa go find a airconditioned cafe to work at or something!
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    Where's his ALICE Pack? :P
  • whw
    Baked turned out pretty well on Shooty Man. Only crit I have is his thumbs appear broken as they're pulled so close to the wrists, other than that some solid modeling and sculpting.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    funkies: ^_^ have to find an air conditioned cafe to live at :3
    dpaynter26: haha, took it out... to make room for the cupcakes ^^ (srsly tho yeh, everyone always puts those mini bags on these vests, feel like this dude is missin out now)
    whw: good call, i keep tweaking my baseman and thumbs have gotta get fixed ^^

anyways, here's some poop. Almost finished his gun (high poly -_-), so that, more textures and posing then I'm done with this fool forever :poly136:

07a.jpg

07b.jpg
  • Havoc89
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    bad-assery-ness!

Looks very good, though textures seem way too clean at the moment, needs some signs of previous combat, doesn't have to be a lot, in this case I think something subtle would do wonders.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    fucking sweet. Excellent portfolio material!
  • Ravanna
    Wonderful work, very concise, shows great technical skill.
    Only lacks dirt and grime, and blood, show some character, some history, some realism! :thumbup:
  • StrongRum
    Offline / Send Message
    StrongRum polycounter lvl 6
    That looks sweet!
  • Callesw
    This is really good stuff! Like your stuff :)
    Great portfolio piece indeed!