Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character - Space Opera Princess

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Di$array polycounter lvl 5
****UPDATE****
Space_Op_Princess_WIP_21_zpsb2731856.jpg

Ok guys welcome to my new WIP thread. The Space Opera Princess!!!

I recently made a thread looking for feedback for my portfolio here on PC and I got some excellent feedback which I am now putting to good use (you can check out the thread here).

So I’ve been combing the Internet and my stack of Imagines FX’s for an amazing character concept as I need a “wow factor” piece for my portfolio. So long story short I found it. It’s a character that was design during an Imagine FX tutorial “Design a Space Opera Princess” found in IF#75, which was created by Kevin Chen. So after a quick email asking for consent to turn this concept into 3D I got the nod to start. You can see the concept below.

So here it goes! As always C&C would be an amazing help. Cheers for your time.

KChen-ImaginFX-web.jpg
Space_Op_Princess_WIP_01.jpg
Space_Op_Princess_WIP_02.jpg

Replies

• SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the chest, shoulders and arms seem alil oversized.. gd start tho!

edit: are you any relation to dave cockburn?
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    i believe you need more width on the bridge of the nose and watch out for the strength or the boniness of the browridge, its a little much. good luck
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome man! I'm super glad to see you taking the advice in that thread. And this is a wonderful start.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Good job, I'm at the same stage with my first female character. Will you be doing the lacrimal caruncle and plica semilunaris parts of the eye? Can't see that bit from here.
  • systemic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    systemic polycounter lvl 7
    She's got a little Scarlett Johansson thing going on... love it! I'll be watching this.
  • Tristla
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome start man. It looks like she is a bit too tall?
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SA_22, Cheers man for spotting those problems. I've corrected them and it's looking much better. As for Dave. No he's not a relative, but he was my tutor at Uni. I take it you are attending Teesside, how are you finding the course?

garriola83, Yeah the face is pretty much still WIP but thanks for spotting those. I've made the changes and things are vastly improved, especially with the wider nose bridge.

skylebones, Cheers buddy. Yeah it was sound advice and it would be such a waste to ignore it.

Vio, Hey Vio glad to hear you're tackling your first female character model. I'd suggest making a thread as it'll help you out a shed load in the long. As for your question, yeah its there but the it's hard to tell from that screengrab above. I'll have a closer shot next time.

systemic, yeah. That cannot be a bad thing right :P Cheers.

Tristla, Good for you!

disanski, Good eye bud. I was originally going to use the legs to extract the boots. But I changed my midn in the end and forgot about the length.

I've made some big changes (plus the feedback from above) and I've started blocking in most of the suit at the moment and when thats done I'll post an updated. I'm currently juggling 2 project, this and my cspromod work so that's why the updates aren't coming thick and fast.

Once again cheers for the feedback.
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Looking really cool so far. Right now I feel that the brow is too pronounced for a female it doesnt really have that soft curve that the female brow has to me, if that makes sense. Also I think the waist is a little too narrow i would say widen it up just a bit. Really awesome stuff though cant wait to see her done.:)
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187, Yeah I've altered the brow since then, but I'm still not completely sold on it at the moment. It may be that its just missing some eyebrows, but we'll see. As for the waist I've brought it about bit and its a marked improvement. Cheers.

----
    Well I've finally got some time to myself so that means I get to work on the princess a bit more. I've blocked out most of the suit apart from the robotic arm which I'm still currently playing about with in max.

At the moment her upper arm is reading a tad too thick at the moment so I think I'll have to thin in down but I think the problem lies with the overlapping plates of the armour. With a bit of tweaking I can have them in a better poition that they are in now.

Also please note that the collar is just a place holder.

Any C&C would be great thanks.

Space_Op_Princess_WIP_03.jpg

Space_Op_Princess_WIP_04.jpg
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I've imported the robotic prosthetic arm, cape, arm drape and a new collar.Next up is detailing.

Space_Op_Princess_WIP_05.jpg
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I readdressed the arm drape as it just wasn't working for me. I feel this new direction has a stronger design to it. Also I have given her a breast reduction as well.
    Space_Op_Princess_WIP_08.jpg
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, nice choice for the concept.

I wonder, how does this kind of clothing be skinned and rigged ? I mean, it looks right with this pose, but without some physic it will looks bad ingame when she moves the arm, right ?

I think that your head is way too small compared to the concept.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion, Yeah if I was approaching this project by myself, I'd be bricking it. But I have a mate who's an animation who will be helping me out with the rigging. So its going to be a nice little challenge but I'm sure I can make it work in some way, shape or form.

As for the head you are right and I've addressed it and its looking much better, thanks!
    Space_Op_Princess_WIP_09.jpg
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    hey man, looks good so far, looks like you've still got a whole load to do, so keep at it!
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Acey! I'll keep chipping away at it.

Space_Op_Princess_WIP_10.jpg
    Space_Op_Princess_WIP_11.jpg
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Really nice progress, the draping cloth is looking really nice.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    something about the nose thats a bit off, the tip is usually bulbous, wrapped with 2 pieces of cartilage, and it shows a bit on the concept, yours looks flat at the bottom tho. also the transition from nose to cheek might be over inflated.
    the braids are nice!
    i did a little paintover if you dont mind...
    Space_Op_Princess_paintover.gif
  • Michael1
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu, Cheers for the kind words bud.

garriola83, hey bud cheers for taking the time to do a paint over. Really helped when I had another bash at it. She's looking more human now :)

---
    Since the release of CSPROMOD 1.9 the other day I'd had some personal time to pick this project back up. So here is the progress I've made so far.

Overall I've been working on the face and robotic arm mainly. Trying to nail down those focal points. The face is a dramatically change since my last update (for the better I say) and I've done away with the old arm and reworked it, so it suits the design of the concept more.

I've also started work on the backpack, but it may be hard to see the detail in the pic below. I just sculpted the shaped and added a few grills here are there.

Anyways enough from me, enjoy.

Space_Op_Princess_WIP_13_zpsfcb62d86.jpg

Space_Op_Princess_WIP_14_zps00ff87ed.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    yes looking much better! also try changing the material and maybe do some polypainting to really see how the texturing will compliment the sculpt
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is turning out real nice man! gd job
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    this is going cool man :)

I kinda feel the forms on the face are a bit too strong/defined tho. Might be an idea to drop down to a lower level and smooth things out a bit more, get stuff a little softer. And maybe reducing the size of the eyes a tad too ^_^
    And the segments on the torso suit bit seem more segmentey on the concept, but it's still wip so i shouldn't say anything yet :P

Anyways, going coolies so far, hope you finish ^_^
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome concept. I would have preferred it if you had stuck closer to the proportions of it (her head is still a bit too small and I've been seeing this a lot with female characters recently). But I guess she does look more heroic with your proportions. This is already soooo much better than your other stuff. Keep it up.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83, Hey man. I went ahead and added a quick splash of paint to get a better feel for her like you suggested. But I think i need to check out some new materials and the ones I have now are alittle poop.

SA_22
    , Thanks buddy!

Nizza_waaarg, Cheers bud. I smoothed out some of the facial features but I think I may give the brow another pass as it still appears quite strong.

Fomori, Awesome man. Glad to hear from a fellow artist that I'm improving. Yeah, when I saw the concept I was completely sold and just had to make a 3D model. After hearing what you had to say I enlarged the head a bit more.

I've been adding some additional details such as scratches, patterns and slight modifications here and there such as the armour on the bicep as it was alittle boring and the concept didn't show any detail there so I took some artistic licence on it :P

Space_Op_Princess_WIP_16_zpsdafbe299.jpg
    Space_Op_Princess_WIP_17_zps3b71f0b8.jpg
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just been splahing a bit more paint about here and there. I'll do a few more passes then I'll move on and do the remainder in Photoshop.

Space_Op_Princess_WIP_18_zpsd1279a27.jpg
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you make your own base mesh or simply use a default/freely available one?

Im in the middle of portfolio work, and wondering whether to stick to my own sucky base mesh or use the default zbrush bases. However don't want to create a portfolio in which gives the wrong impression :s
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @David - I make my own base mesh and work from there as you know were you'll need the added detail, etc and mainly it keeps your modelling skills sharp.

Anyways i've started texturing the low poly and decided to scrap the poly paint as I felt it would be best to start from scratch, although I did decide to keep the polypaint of the legs as I can just add and adjusted them to suit my needs. At the moment I'm mainly just working on the torso, even though I've blocked in some rough sections here an there.

Any C&C is always welcome.

Space_Op_Princess_WIP_19_zps3d65c11a.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    much improved! keep going
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good overall. The only thing I can say is to do your best on the readability of the different materials of her suit. Keep up the good work!
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83, spiderDude: Cheers guys and I will. Would love to work on this full time as its becoming quite drawn out but I'm determined to finish it come hell or high water.

I been plodding along with the diffuse and spec map to better show off the materials and the progress is going steady but I have yet to touch the head, so please ignore it unless you have any suggestions.

I still have to paint the leather straps for her robotic arm as well as the cape and cloth drapes, looking over them I will have a rough attempt at painting them but I may redo them due to the way it was unwrapped.
    Anyways enjoy and C&C is always welcome.

Space_Op_Princess_WIP_20_zps1a92d6ca.jpg

Space_Op_Princess_WIP_21_zpsb2731856.jpg
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've finally added the cape and drapes, as well as tweaking certain part of the diffuse and spec map. But I'm not fully sold on the gold so I may redo that.

Space_Op_Princess_WIP_23_zpsf7be9d2a.jpg