Home General Discussion

Portfolio for a film school

So, my girlfriend plans on studying animation in a film school, but she is having problems putting together her portfolio, which, needless to say, is required. What should be included in such a portfolio? Samples of animations? Quick drawings? Concepts? Other stuff?

Replies

• Naugat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naugat polycounter lvl 12
    Animation Graduate reporting in.

Which university is she applying to?

Generally the good schools don't want to see any animation yet, it helps but the most important thing is solid life drawing, gesture drawing and some animal studies. A bit of your own thing helps too but the foundation drawing skills are what they love.

Here's some of my life drawing, most of it was done at uni.

This was my first year gesture sketchbook.

That will make them happy. Another bonus is if you play with film and can display an interest in moving image, otherwise yeah, drawing skills are number 1.
  • DarthBartus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, kind sir, those should be most helpful! If you have any advices regarding studying animation, they would be greatly appreciated, or at least I think so.

She's applying to National Film School in Ł
  • Naugat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naugat polycounter lvl 12
    That's quite the famous school! But man, I know nothing about it's animation course. Is it group orientated, 2D, 3D? I have a few Polish animator friends but none who studied over there so I know nothing specific to the course.

I recommend you find some alumni and give them a poke. I'll have a search around for Ł