Home General Discussion

Wacom intuos5 S or?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
S_ource polycounter lvl 9
Hey i'm going to buy a new tablet and i have decided to buy a Wacom and probably a intuos5 S. And i was just wondering if anyone had one and thought it it was a good choice and if its worth the price. And also wondering what other use and what they think are good about them.

Any tips are welcome, The biggest question for me if i should buy a Small or Medium.

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    There are quite a few threads about this already, if you had used the search function.

Wacom size depends on your style of painting and how much desk space you have. If you draw more with wrist action, a smaller tablet is fine. If you like making larger sweeping movements with your forearm, go bigger. If you have the room, that is.

The smallest size IMO is too small. I usually end up getting the 6x8 tablets (medium), but I do love 9x12's, when I get to use them.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the past I would say definitely go with Wacom... now I'm not so sure. Check out this blog post by Ray Frenden. If I were in the market for a new tablet after reading that I'd give Monoprice some serious consideration.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I use the Wacom Bamboo. It's tiny and I love it. I've tried the bigger ones and I'm not a fan of having to stretch my arm across the desk to get to the file menu. However, with a bigger tablet comes more precision when painting and drawing. I usually just use photoshop for sketching and paintings textures, so I don't need a big tablet as I rarely make large, curvy lines.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    In the past I would say definitely go with Wacom... now I'm not so sure. Check out this blog post by Ray Frenden. If I were in the market for a new tablet after reading that I'd give Monoprice some serious consideration.

Very interesting. Tempted to order the 12x9 instead of finding a 2nd hand wacom.

E: Don't know if they sell to UK though
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ray uses the hell out of his tablets so if he recommends one, I would take it seriously.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    One thing to keep in mind though might be driver stability and whatnot. Just last month a friend of mine bought an Intuos 5 tablet and it's driver kept uninstalling itself (or it just stopped thinking it existed.)

After trying different drivers and installing it multiple times he asked Wacom Support, they had him do a factory reset on his computer, which made it work for a couple of day. But then it went back to uninstalling or not listening to the drivers again.

I'm not sure when they plan to fix the issue, but apparently he wasn't the only person with that problem when looking through Wacom's Support section. You could take a chance or you could check to see if there is a chance for these problems to happen with older Wacom Tablets, I haven't heard of it happening with older ones much though.
  • Naugat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naugat polycounter lvl 12
    Researching those Monoprice tablets: The manufacturers in Taiwan are also manufacturing graphic tablet monitors (click Tablet Monitor Series on the left) - I can't get any word on how to get one or how good they are. Anyone any ideas? My google-fu fails me
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was gonna get myself a Monoprice 10x6.25 2 months ago but everyone said get a wacom one instead

Mono's was Half the price with more features its just the Pens use batteries

I have rechargeable batteries so I feel like a dope for going with the more costly with less features :/
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing to keep in mind though might be driver stability and whatnot. Just last month a friend of mine bought an Intuos 5 tablet and it's driver kept uninstalling itself (or it just stopped thinking it existed.)

After trying different drivers and installing it multiple times he asked Wacom Support, they had him do a factory reset on his computer, which made it work for a couple of day. But then it went back to uninstalling or not listening to the drivers again.

I'm not sure when they plan to fix the issue, but apparently he wasn't the only person with that problem when looking through Wacom's Support section. You could take a chance or you could check to see if there is a chance for these problems to happen with older Wacom Tablets, I haven't heard of it happening with older ones much though.

intuos 5 drivers are shit. I have a no-touch model and the 2 builds released this year are so far terrible, they keep crashing and/or stop working for no apparent reason every couple days or so
    (I'm on mac os, and intuos 3 drivers were literally perfectly stable)

I suppose they will get better later in development, but right now, I'm pretty disappointed by driver. tablet itself is good, not much of update compared to intuos 4 though.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    I just got a intuos 5 touch at work a few weeks ago and I haven't had a single problem yet, (knocks on wood) :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Looks good, but I do prefer the lighter battery free wacom pens :( Are there lighter batteries out there? Made of different charging material maybe?
  • imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imbueFX polycounter lvl 5
    I can attest to the Wacom driver suddenly not working anymore. It happened all of the time at one of my jobs using an Intuos3. The real problem is that the tablet service just stops unexpectedly, and anything like pressure sensitivity goes with it.

My solution was to create a tiny batch file on my desktop (with a humorous first-aid icon) that I could quickly run to fix it. The code is:

echo off
    net stop TabletServiceWacom
    net start TabletServiceWacom
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Andreas wrote: »
    Looks good, but I do prefer the lighter battery free wacom pens :( Are there lighter batteries out there? Made of different charging material maybe?

I don't know how light this possibly can be, but you can see if the vendors that this site gets these AAs from has AAA batteries of this type.

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/usb-rechargeable-battery
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    WE'RE BEING ATTACKED BY SPAMMERS!
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Hey i bought a Wacom Intuos5 S recently heres a quick painting.landscape.jpg
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I don't suppose monoprice make wireless graphics tablets :P Would definitely pick one up then.
  • Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ray
    I'm the dude that reviewed the tablets linked above. I've been tinkering with 3D lately, so I made an account here a while back.

UC-Logic, the OEM who actually makes the Monoprice line, does have wireless models. I can't speak to the quality. I haven't tried them.

They make a tablet monitor/Cintiq knockoff similar to the Bosto/Yiynova/Waltops that I've reviewed, but the devil is in the details on those.

The tablet monitor series is only 2000lpi insofar as digitizer resolution is concerned and that's half the regular tablet's. I'm betting, based on my experience reviewing similarly spec'd hardware, that there'd be significant jitter.
  • Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ray
    Without significant software averaging doing line correction at the driver level (which increases lag between stylus and cursor), this is the sort of jitter I got on a 2000lpi Yiynova MSP19.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VAsZWXCt4s&feature=player_embedded"]Yiynova MSP19 OSX Lion - YouTube[/ame]

I've been collaborating on an opensource Mac driver for the Waltop based Yiynova monitors with Udo Killerman. It currently exists as a command line paramater controlled daemon, and does allow one to increase the interpolated line averaging and find a sweet spot between lag and correction, but it's less than ideal.

I'm learning a lot about how digitizers work in the process of testing and configuring the Waltop/Yiynova.

I'd say, from testing all this different hardware, that the Monoprice/UC-Logic does the least averaging/correction and feels the snappiest of any manufacturer. Even Wacom.

Their driver lacks per-app software settings, but the pressure curve on the pen feels more natural (Wacom styli feel great at first, but quickly lose light-touch pressure sensitivity after break in, requiring constant replacement to feel a full pressure range, to my hand).

I've been using a Monoprice for all my work for a little over a month. I sold my Cintiq to a pal and my MacPro to another pal, and I plan on being more mobile with a MacBook (trying to wait for the Ivy Bridge refresh) and the Monoprice.

The only drawback? Some apps look for a Wacom driver to be present and loaded before enabling tablet features, so I recommend people install them alongside your Monoprice drivers. They don't have any effect on the tablet at all - they just trick some stubborn apps into complying.
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks Ben, i just ordered a monoprice tablet.I cant wait to try it.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    WOwzers, Monoprice stuff seems to be a bang of the buck kinda of deal, I could order and Headphone and Tablet, plus some extra AUX cables, and I would still be making a saving over a Wacom....
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Ray wrote: »
    Without significant software averaging doing line correction at the driver level (which increases lag between stylus and cursor), this is the sort of jitter I got on a 2000lpi Yiynova MSP19.

Yiynova MSP19 OSX Lion - YouTube

I've been collaborating on an opensource Mac driver for the Waltop based Yiynova monitors with Udo Killerman. It currently exists as a command line paramater controlled daemon, and does allow one to increase the interpolated line averaging and find a sweet spot between lag and correction, but it's less than ideal.

I'm learning a lot about how digitizers work in the process of testing and configuring the Waltop/Yiynova.

I'd say, from testing all this different hardware, that the Monoprice/UC-Logic does the least averaging/correction and feels the snappiest of any manufacturer. Even Wacom.

Their driver lacks per-app software settings, but the pressure curve on the pen feels more natural (Wacom styli feel great at first, but quickly lose light-touch pressure sensitivity after break in, requiring constant replacement to feel a full pressure range, to my hand).

I've been using a Monoprice for all my work for a little over a month. I sold my Cintiq to a pal and my MacPro to another pal, and I plan on being more mobile with a MacBook (trying to wait for the Ivy Bridge refresh) and the Monoprice.

The only drawback? Some apps look for a Wacom driver to be present and loaded before enabling tablet features, so I recommend people install them alongside your Monoprice drivers. They don't have any effect on the tablet at all - they just trick some stubborn apps into complying.

I ordered one (My intous finally gave in after 4 years of wonderful service) after seeing this thread and just wanted to second what was said here. The "snappiness" and responsiveness is INSANE. I'll be putting it through it's paces this weekend.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear wrote: »
    Thanks Ben, i just ordered a monoprice tablet.I cant wait to try it.

Thank Ray, I wouldn't have heard of Monoprice otherwise. I hope it works out as well for you as it did for him :)
  • Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ray
    I've been spreading the gospel of the Monoprice on Twitter and the like, and have received lots of, admittedly anecdotal, positive feedback from our peers who took the plunge.

I've heard of getting a bunk pen initially (in one case, a dead battery that shipped with the unit, in another case, a stylus tip that needed to be reseated because it wasn't put in right at the factory), but the vast, vast majority of the reviews were positive.

Tens of thousands of people reshared the post on Tumblr, etc, and I've only gotten one or two emails from people having problems (and all problems were fixed with installing drivers or replacing batteries except for one fella who snapped the stylus in half while trying to put the battery in).

I'm just glad Wacom has some competition.

MrHobo, isn't the snappiness/lack of averaging/low latency super nice? That's what sold me on it, 100%.