Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Januarius Laygo, 3D artist

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
alphajayel polycounter lvl 6
Hi!

I just graduated with BA in Multimedia Arts. I'm currently building up a portfolio of new works for future employment, and for art's sake. hehe

I just want to share my works with you guys, contribute to the community, and at least,try to get some feedback regarding on things I could still improve on, the stuff that I might be doing right or wrong or what not.

I hope to get a lot of CC's for my works, so I can improve further.

That's it. Thanks Guys!

I don't have a website yet cause I still don't have that much to show. I will set-up one when I have enough works as contents for my folio.

here is something that I just recently finished:

32871-1338223054-artwork-1.jpg

32871-1338223055-artwork-2.jpg

32871-1338223056-artwork-3.jpg

maps.jpg

wires.jpg

here is a character I did during my internship:

578_max.jpg

878_max.jpg

and some stuff I did in Zbrush just for practice and fun:

565_max.jpg

780_max.jpg

311_large.jpg

509_max.jpg

That's all for now! :)

Replies

• nathanbarrett
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    Holy hell those heads are incredible! Especially the 2nd to last one. What renderer did you use?
  • alphajayel
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy hell those heads are incredible! Especially the 2nd to last one. What renderer did you use?

Thanks man! The heads are rendered in Zbrush 4 with BPR. I used the traditional multi-pass method and comped them in Photoshop. :)
  • Grimmstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    You've got a nice solid start to your portfolio, especially since your straight out of uni.

Two things that I would say are:
      Eight images of your first character seems a little overkill. I'd much prefer 1 or 2 well presented boards containing a couple of shots rather than one

[LIST=2]I'd either remove the image below or change it too none coloured materials so that its more obvious that its the high poly model[/LIST]

95+percent.jpg

Best of luck with the job searching
  • barnesy
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    I like what you have got so far, one thing that I did notice was the distortion on both of your character rigs :O , especially the 5th pic of the Acina character. The elbow is really tiny because of a imbalance of vertex weights.

Other than that , its a pretty sweet portfolio , really digging the head sculpts ,I am planning on doing something similar myself
  • alphajayel
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom wrote: »
    You've got a nice solid start to your portfolio, especially since your straight out of uni.

Two things that I would say are:
      Eight images of your first character seems a little overkill. I'd much prefer 1 or 2 well presented boards containing a couple of shots rather than one

[LIST=2]I'd either remove the image below or change it too none coloured materials so that its more obvious that its the high poly model[/LIST]

Best of luck with the job searching

Thanks a lot Grimmstorm!

I apologize for going overkill, I just thought I needed to show more angles for the character I made. Think I got a little vain. I removed some of the images and the hi poly model as well like you suggested!

Thanks again!
  • alphajayel
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy wrote: »
    I like what you have got so far, one thing that I did notice was the distortion on both of your character rigs :O , especially the 5th pic of the Acina character. The elbow is really tiny because of a imbalance of vertex weights.

Other than that , its a pretty sweet portfolio , really digging the head sculpts ,I am planning on doing something similar myself

Thank you for appreciating my work Barnesy!

Oh yeah, about that-- The rig that I used for my characters was pretty basic, and I really did not bother weighting them very well. I just wanted to be able to pose them. Because someone else will be assigned to do the animation rigs. But now that you mentioned it, I think I really should polish the rigging/ skinning too when I'm doing a character.

Thanks for noticing man! :)

I'd like to see your head sculpts too! good luck on that!
  • alphajayel
    Offline / Send Message
    hi guys! just a little *bump* here. I kinda really need to hear some feedback so that I can improve more. I really want to improve on creating characters so I wanna know where my strengths and weaknesses are... Maybe I should post more works, but as of the moment, these are all I am able to show.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I really like the design of the hard-surface head sculpt. It's definitely different.
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    My main gripe are the character poses. They lack movement and interest.
  • alphajayel
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason526 wrote: »
    Thanks for your post.www.hdmitodvid.com

err.. sorry but I dint get it. XD thanks for what, exactly?
  • alphajayel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ocie1 wrote: »
    thanks a lot www.cleaningcassette.com

I don't get it too.. why are you thanking me? sorry XD
  • alphajayel
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »
    I really like the design of the hard-surface head sculpt. It's definitely different.

Thank you. I kind of got different ideas from many pegs/ references. They are always useful. :)
  • alphajayel
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER wrote: »
    My main gripe are the character poses. They lack movement and interest.

Yeah, I think so too. I realized how hard it is to get interesting and dynamic poses for characters. Posing female characters is the hardest.

I'll keep that in mind next time I pose my characters. Thank you! :)