Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hanuman- Monkey God

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
leoartz polycounter lvl 11
Heya,

This is my first post in Polycount, i guess i have been living under a rock these days :poly124:

Anyway,I came across the amazing concept of Hanuman( Monkey God) while i was Sculpting a chimpanzee for practice. I immediately got glued with the concept and started making the chimp match the Concept. I did not match one hundred percent rather i took some of my own take on certain elements for instance the hair , the feet and so on. Please do click this link to view the original concept art http://cghub.com/files/Image/005001-...30/220_max.jpg and do visit Vinod Rams Website to look at his amazing works : http://www.vinodrams.com/
This is meant to be a low poly character for games. The character came upto 19k Tris and 3k tris for the weapon. I have gone a little over the budget i had in mind but nevertheless quite happy with the result

Softwares Used : Pixologic Zbrush, Autodesk 3ds Max, Adobe Photoshop, Marmoset

HanumanFull_Girishs.jpg

HanumanCloseUp_Girish.jpg

Here is the Texture Sheet

Hanuman_TextureSheet.jpg

Here are few ScreenGrabs from Zbrush

HanumN_sculpt02_Girish.jpg

HanumN_sculpt01_Girish.jpg

Hope you like it

Thank you

Replies

• neverwander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neverwander polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome work. I just reread the Ramayan recently, and I love this character. You did a great job bringing him to life!
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://youtu.be/U8LhEL9SSRA?t=31s
    sry couldn't help it! :D

really nice detail in the sculpt!
  • s33th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice monkey! The sculpt is looking really good. Post up some more shots of the textured character, right now you can't see all that sweet monkey anatomy you sculpted.

You may want to post some wireframes up. It seems like you have a few areas of really high detail and lots of polygons - like the head hair and face, but then other areas where he could use another few edge loops to smooth the silhouette a bit - like his knee, feet, and the waist band.

The specular comes off a bit funky in places, it might just be your lighting but... the thicker gold bracelet closest to the camera reads pretty well, but then the two right above it on that arm read a bit more like plastic, which sort of carries through to the armband and headband/tiara thing.

Good stuff, oh and how did you do the smoke effect? That adds a nice subtle touch to the presentation.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    its cool to see people doing Vinod Rams stuff! I think the link to the concept is broken.
    The face is so lifelike and I really like the way you handled the red fabric on his arms!

It would have been cool if this had been a creature hair study. The concept is so much more furry and its silhouette has a lot more going on with its big tufts of hair. I think a little is lost in translation as a result of sticking with the naked sculpt. Outside of that crit I`d say this is a very dynamic piece!
  • Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 15
  • Jonsnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice character, good job on sculpting and texturing
  • leoartz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leoartz polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you Everyone for your reply. Glad you all liked it :)

@s33th :you are spot on. I kind of have a lot of geometry for the Head compared to the body. Initially i wanted to try and learn some face morphs and blendshapes but later was cancelled the plan. You were right on adding more edge loops on the other portions such the legs,feet and so on. I shall keep these in mind when i work on the next character. Cheers for the critic :thumbup:

@konstruct : yes, I wanted to study fur for this character but was having so much trouble rendering them in marmoset. I was having trouble with alpha sorting and so on. Was a good learning experience though. :)

@RiotForQuiet : thank you, Yes thats true i may have gone a little carried away with the Depth of field :poly124:

@SA_22: That link was so cool. It never struck me till while working. ha ha thank you

By the way i shall post the wireframe in the next post. Its really nice and sunny in england right now. so time for some social life :-)