Home Unity

Editing prefab hierarchy without breaking prefab?

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
Hi, I keep finding that I want to edit prefabs I've made which have a few children deep hierarchy. As the full hierarchy isn't displayed in project view for some reason, I've taken to dragging the prefab into the scene, editing then applying.

seems fine in general, but sometimes I want to add to the hierarchy with another object, and unity says doing so will break the prefab.. but I don't want to break the prefab.

Any advice on the topic?

thanks!
-Rich

Replies

• LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, I saw proper nested prefab support on the roadmap, but not sure when that's actually gonna drop. In the meantime, the warning is correct in that the scene prefab will lose its direct connection. However, if my memory isn't failing me, you can subsequently drag the scene prefab back onto the project prefab.

I can't recall offhand if "Apply changes" works when you break the prefab connection like this, but it's worth a try.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thanks LoTekK!

I just tried and actually even though it says 'will break prefab' it still allows you to hit apply and resume the prefab..

I hadn't got that far because as soon as it said 'this will break prefab' I was like.. uh, no don't do that!

good to know, but kind of unintuitive!