Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mountain_ocean_scene

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
Still blocking in the houses and the shape of the Mountain. The mountain topology might look a bit too high and unclean. What Im trying to do is to get the shape right first and the retop or dynamesh in zbrush to make it sculptable. I want to match as closely as possible to the conceptart.

Concept art by Noah Bradley.

as_darkness_rises_by_noahbradley-d3di2au.jpg

Mountain_scene_wip.jpg

Replies

• Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff you got. Good blockout of the mountain. Not really that much moore i can say at this stage.

Good luck!
  • salacious_Crumb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salacious_Crumb polycounter lvl 11
    Cool! Really nice concept art.
    So how have you modelled what you've got so far? Just extruding and pushing verts? And if you are taking it into zbrush, have you kept it all quads and no triangles? - I'm just interested to know how you will carry on.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visceral: Thanks man

salacious_Crumb: so far its been plane extruding, welding, soft selection and some smoothing with sculpting brush in Maya. I Started with planes by matching the angles to the concepts. it was kinda complicated cuz there is a slight top down perspective to the conceptart. So i had to use Lattice(FFD in Max)to un-skew the Mountain. The toughest part was to make everything fit together.

My approach to this is to get the sharp angles of the mountain set first before heading to zbrush or mudbox.Then I will create a quad version of it and start scuplting in the details. For me I find it easier to get sharp angles and edges in Maya/3dsMax.
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    seems like a great way to do it. Nice concept indeed. Are you doing the backmountains too or just the two ? or duplicating the two in the back? very cool. Good luck!
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84: Thanks. Im modeling the other mountains too, not sure if I should use the same sculpt and just modify it a bit or make completely unique ones.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress:

Added other mountains. Testing the composition. Since most likely Im gona render the final image in 16:9 ratio, I have to make some adjustments to the block out by adding more background elements. Still working on the Camera angle. Cant wait to finish the block out and start detailing the scene.

Moutain_Scene_compwip.jpg
  • Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Nice start so far. I must admit i'm a big fan of Noah Bradley's work myself, the hardest part to pull off will be replicating the lighting I bet. I look forward to watching your progress.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i might have went a little overboard with the sculpt for the first pass of the rocks. Most likely im gona have to go back to fix things.

sculpt_rock_wip01.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    any reason you're not using tiling rock textures/blending on the cliffs to get more resolution/detail? or is that sculpt going to be optimized and used as a low poly?
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Hm, those cliffs don't seem very efficient for an environment. Rather than having a couple large low res chunks, it's better to have lots of smaller hires chunks (depending on the situation)

For Uncharted, they made a variety of rocks and then stacked them in the scene. You could probably follow the same approach
    vaccaroAnthony_uncharted3_24.jpg
    vaccaroAnthony_uncharted3_03.jpg

The thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98332

Otherwise, looks like you're off to a good start!

At the block in stage you're at now, try matching the camera angle of the concept and see if yours is to the right scale and stuff
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to mention that this is gona be a high poly scene. My goal in this scene it to create a good looking mountain with sharp rock formations. And learn realflow along the way for the water. But i do plan on retopping it, and baking displacement maps.

Selaznog: Im starting to notice that the moutian starting to be heading off to a different direction then the conceptart. so i might have to scrap the sculpt. Ill see what i can change.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    I think the sculpt is looking alright, I think that you should spend a bit more time trying to get the cracks and the rock to follow the shape of the mountain a bit more as in the concept art. The cracks and lines and shape of the mountain in general spirals toward the top, your sculpt has missed that point - which is, at least in my opinion, one of the defining interesting features of this concept. Your sculpt is a bit blobby.

Keep iterating though. This has a lot of potential and your updates have been great so far.

The flow of the rocks is the most important thing you've missed. Keep us updated!