Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Something

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
I started work on this monster/person last week, I only have a high-res sculpt in ZBrush, no ingame model yet. His name is "Something" and he is the primary antagonist of a survival horror game I have bouncing around in my head, also called "Something". The reason behind the name is that you play as a child, running away from this creature you can only describe as "something". The game involves solving various puzzles whilst avoiding being attacked by this monster.

Something.jpg

Crits are welcome, as I am alwahys looking to improve.

Replies

• KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just realised how absurdly ambiguous my title for this thread seems, I tried to edit it, but no luck. Would any Mods be able to help?
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SomeEngine.jpg

Got my Something into the UDK with all the DX11 goodies turned up to 11. I'm wondering now the best way to add body hair... I want the body hair to be 3D, not just a texture. what would be the best way to go about that?
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to say, that shit is scary. Is that intestines around his arm?

Im not a character person so i cant give much help either way, but if your going for creepy, your definitely on the right track
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh my god what am i seeing?

Why didnt u call the creature "Skinny" ?
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I ever do get around to making an actual game out of this, Something is a sort of psychological projection of the main protagonist (the young child I mentioned before). Something also represents fear of adulthood, which is a common theme in the would-be game.

and, no there are no intestines on his arm, just fatty, lumpy growth.

Anywho, does anyone have any suggestions on how to do the body hair?
  • k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
    Doesn't UDK got recently a future/function for hair ?
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for Unreal supporting hair via function or utility: I don't think so. There is a tutorial on the UDN about how to model hair into your characters, but it is not engine specific. I'm only wanting sparse, coarse hair on his chest, back, and limbs. I've tried a couple of techniques already, nothing really catches what I'm looking for. The main thing is that I dont want to just paint in the hair to the texture. I want the arm and leg hair to catch light beyond the silhouette and look like real, human body hair. I'll try some other techniques. I'm really open to suggestion here.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, I've been out of the forums for a while, are these "thanks for your post" comments bots or actual, genuine people thanking artists for their work?
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hairy.jpg

I think I found a pretty good way to get that 'hairy chest' sort of look. I have to do the rest of the body, but I think this is the method of choice!
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a while, but I just wanted you guys to know that this particular model is all done. the project is closed up. here is a final shot of sorts. what do you think?

SomeFlames.jpg

I never did get the hair right....