Home Unity

Models and Prefabs

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Frankie polycounter lvl 19
How do you guys deal with prefabs not keeping the model as a model but instead taking all the mesh names and then working from there?

For example make a model with several meshes in, use the model in a prefab then add some more meshes to the model and the prefab dosen't care. Or worse still change the mesh names in the 3d package and watch the prefab fail to find them.

I have to keep the "prefab" in its pre-prefab, game object state in a different file and make sure I don't save it once I've linked it up. It's really annoying I feel like I'm doing something obviously wrong. :poly127::poly127::poly127:

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    do you mean the prefab doesnt update itself when you have updated the original model you used to create the prefab? Ive been working with unity for a while now and still have issues with updating prefabs too.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the model file acts as a container for all the meshes inside it and will update when you move, add, rename, delete stuff in the model, but it isn't a prefab.

Then when you add the model to a prefab it takes all the current mesh names and relinks to them to the prefab so it will no longer update when you move, add, rename, delete things inside the model files (although it will update mesh editing)

It also annoyingly now handles the default rotation offset models with only one mesh in differently to models with more than one mesh so when I go between the two states (I do quite often) it breaks the positions
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    yeah that can be a real mess - i moved to doing prefab setup all in code because of this.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Until they get nested prefabs into Unity (3.6 maybe?) then there's not a lot that can be done about this :/
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for replying. Fingers crossed for nested prefabs then!