Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mutant Gun - Advice Needed

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
Hi all,

I've been working on this gun's texture for a couple of days and really can't get it where I want it. I'm not sure what's up, and was hoping that someone here might be able to point me in the right direction. I'm sure there are loads of things I'm doing wrong here so don't hold back!

Here's the concept, a weapon sketch from Overdose (I'm not doing this for the game btw, the art style has completely moved on since this one was drawn up anyway)
weapons_misc2_large.jpg

and here's my gun in marmoset, didn't really stick to the concept, at all,
ODgun_WIP.jpg

the maps at 2k including the UV unwrap,
ODgunTexturesWIP.jpg

low poly wireframe,
ODgunWIP_Wires.jpg

Any thoughts? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    You have many tris in places that shouldn't have them, like the grip and the shoulder thing in the back of the gun.If it doesn't contribute to the silhouette or it isn't a suport edge loop, i think it's good to keep in mind not to add it.
    I like some of the things you added thou, and the texturing looks promising but it's kinda dark.Maybe push the specular and glossiness.
    Oh and you should let some space for edge padding in your uv 's !Check the polycount wiki "edge padding ".
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are the wires for? They look kinda neat and all but the barrel doesn't seem to need them and then they just disappear into the body?
    A brighter spec map, and probably brighter lighting all around would people being able to see what's really going on with the model.
    It looks pretty good overall just a little random, I'm not much of a gun expert so I have no idea what those silver rings are for, but I'm pretty sure your rear sight is wrong. All the prong type (that's probably the wrong term) ones I've ever seen have a two-prong at the back and a single up front. This is so there's actually something to line up. Have a look at this.
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    Agreed that the sights make no sense at all, I stole them from the starter shotgun in Borderlands, I thought 'hey, those sights make no sense at all!' and thought that was kinda cool. Apparently, not so cool! The wires, in my head, add 'electrical damage' to the shots. Again, they make no sense at all, that was kinda the theme I ran with on this one!

Conversely, the silver ring at the front of the gun is attached to the shell-eject-port-thingy and it cocks the gun, and the one infront of the trigger is to release the magazine. Those things make sense, the theme of this model is inconsistent :/
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Ah, ignore the gun nuts! All of your guns have been more or less fucked up. It's think it's cool! As long as the gun shots pointy/explisive thingys at your enemies it's all good.

Though your really could clean up your lowpoly mentioned above. Like the handle, witch got some pretty weird loops tbh, have a huge amount of tris, and that's where a hand is gonna go. And there's a lot of optimization that can be done to the stock to. Imagine talking away 50% of the tris on those areas and think about how much the silhouette actually would change.

Keeping things easy, try not to touch your borders that much so that you need to re-UV it. Baking is unavoidable.

Keep it up! I love these freaky weapons! :)