Home Technical Talk

Mudbox sucks all my RAM ?!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
motenai polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys, this is a little weird and i'd like to know if someone of you had the same problem, and possibly found a solution.
I'm using mudbox 2013 to paint a model. The model is lowpoly with a normal map, and the only thing i want to do is paint a diffuse map. The problem is that after like a couple of hours of work i notice that Mudbox has used completly all the RAM of my computer (16 GB !!!).
I went through internet to look for some infos, and the strange thing is that for painting mudbox shouldn't even use the computer RAM but the Video Card memory (3 GB, Geforce 560M).
So how the hell is that it's slowly eating away all my RAM?
I hope someone of you can show me the light! Cheers.

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    mirror localX has a memmory leak in 2013...
    use mirror X instead...
    the leak is not allways present...

and if your model is really high poly mud is also using system ram during painting...
    mud is swapping ram from GPU to system all the time..

have you turned on the gigatexel engine..? its on by default....
    the giga texel engine is creating texture LODs and steaming them to system ram and your hard drive...
    i turn it off if i have to paint only a view uv tiles...
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Hey thanks a lot for your explanation, indeed i was using mirror localX...i'll try to see if with mirror X i solve the problem.
    As far as you know, does this problem was also in the 2012 release?
    I just started using mudbox so i don't know almost anything about it yet.
    Where is the "gigatexel engine" option that u talked about?
    Thanks again for the help

*Edit: I found the gigatexel and yes it's turned on
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu wrote: »
    mirror localX has a memmory leak in 2013...
    use mirror X instead...
    the leak is not allways present...

do you know if this was cleared up in SP1 or SP2? could not tell form the release notes...
  • oglu
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wonderful... i just installed it.

i have turned off giga-texture also as i am not giga-texturing at the moment.
  • CapelliRossi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having similar difficulties with my Mudbox 2013 Student Version. Could someone elaborate on how to find and turn off the gigatexel engine, please? Thanks so much!
  • shark2003
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shark2003 polycounter lvl 10
    I solved one of my issues, the one with the ram, thanks for the tip. ..... but i got another one! pls this forum is my last hope! when im texturing a character that has uv's properly layout, double checked that, no errors on import, no multi tile or fancy stuff, just one square uv set. i save my textures and booom!!!!! Theres a lot of files for each layer, like 20 or so. The files folder goes insane, like 8 gb or something for only 5 layers of 2k. Pls help, im prety desperate right now.FUUU.jpg
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    are there other meshes with the same shader in the scene..?
    mudbox is sharing uv data via the shader between meshes.
    make sure your objects have a unique shader.
  • shark2003
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shark2003 polycounter lvl 10
    nope, its the same material for all the meshes, they have been layout in the same uv space. for gods sake, they're only 4 objects.
    problem is that mudbox is creating multiple tiles for only one uv 1-1 coord. like 10 or more just for only one tile. is there an option to disable multiple tile texturing or something??