Home Career & Education

It seems to be impossible to find a job as a Modeler in this industry

Replies

• Mr Whippy
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Whippy polycounter lvl 7
    Autocon wrote: »
    Oh well I didnt mean it was a bad example of someone getting where and what they wanted. For that I think he is a great example and something to strive towards.

I just meant along the lines of it being a bad example of someone who wanted to be great at something working hard and eventually becoming great at it. As although he achieved his dreams of becoming an actor and politician he isnt GREAT at those things, just famous.

It was more of a comment on Mr.Whippy's word choice in the way he phrased his sentence using GREAT to describe Arnolds as a great political (based on the fact that I had him as my govinator :/) and his acting career. If he just said, he pushed to become an actor and politician I wouldn't have made the comment :P

Hehe, maybe 'great' was pushing it, but I guess the point was made.

Back to the topic generally though, I can't find that GDC talk but it was pretty clear in the stats there that loads of people get jobs in games industry, but then decide to leave soon after because it's not what they wanted.
    So that says that getting the jobs isn't hard, clearly people don't need to be gifted from birth to do the actual work.

The problem is being passionate about the content and work to actually do it and keep doing it well.

I think anyone who works hard at this stuff can be successful at it no problem at all.
    The problem will always be sticking at it, and that requires a passion and love for the work too.

If you can't stick at it enough to finish a portfolio then you have to wonder if you are actually passionate about it.

We can all make mistakes in what we want to do in life, but it's a good idea to have a good think now and again to make sure you REALLY want to work in games.
    Going on the stats from employee turn over it looks like lots of people like the idea but it doesn't really materialise as their dream job!

Hmmmm

Dave
  • Mr Whippy
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Whippy polycounter lvl 7
    I found that great video on GDC Vault:

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1012343/The-Belly-of-the-Whale

I recommend any one to watch it. I've worked in lots of creative areas for the last decade and it applies to them all really well in most cases.

Cheers

Dave
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I think Arnold Schwarzenegger's career is based on a lot of luck and timing. Going from body builder to actor and then politician is not really a natural order of switching careers. From my experience, most athletes are horrible at acting and Arnold is no different despite him being funny and great in those cheesy action flicks.

I think people here are pretty much on point here. I tried to tell you this the nice way by saying that people with less skills get jobs but that you shouldn't stop working but I'm afraid that that kind of cheering up can go both ways. If your current portfolio isn't good enough then you need to step up the game and make it better. If that level isn't good then go up another level. Never stop, i myself have been working on my portfolio ever since I quit my job almost 2 years ago and I haven't had any luck yet getting a job as a character artist in an AAA studio. I don't let it get me down and I just keep making my stuff better because that's what it all comes down to; If you can't get a job then it's most likely your portfolio's fault. Even if it isn't it's better to think that way because then you'll keep improving it no matter the reason.

I've tried to help friends getting jobs at certain studios but I've failed to do so every time because of their weak portfolios. At one occasion, the creative director even asked me if I would hire the friend if I was in the CD's position. He said that a potential employee artist should not only be able to match the skills of the rest, he/she should be able to inspire them as well.

You need to aim higher and not sit and worry about why you haven't gotten a job yet.
  • Mad_Llama
    Offline / Send Message
    Mad_Llama polycounter lvl 6
    In my opinion I think it's pretty easy to find a job nowadays.  I'm 16, currently still in highschool. Freelancing on my free time. Try getting out more, visit companies, various tech, innovation events etc. Introduce yourself etc. After doing that it's much easier to actually get into something serious like working in the industry. Nobody starts at the top :)
    Portfolio:
    https://www.artstation.com/arasteam

Good luck! 
  • mystichobo
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Dang, what a necropost!

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    2012? 
    definitely dragged from the mud xD

In response to the thread though. Having tried to get a job in the industry for a while, and just landed one, it isn't easy getting that first job.
    Maybe it is easier if you've done freelance before, but I think it mostly comes from being able to show good work on your portfolio. 

• Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Dang, what a necropost!

This isn't even just a casual necro, but like, the over-necro-lord.
    .... Sounds pretty awesome, someone should make art out of it :D 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Someone say Necro Lord?

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    ...well it's been five years wonder if the OP struck gold getting a gig, bad hip 'n all?!