Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Project Get Out Of Subway (Porfolio Stuff)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
A few days ago at work, (subway) I had an amazingly terrible day and that was just the push i needed to realize i was working way to hard for way to little (minimum wage) and I go to work unhappy and come home even more upset and its wearing me down. Thus i need to get to work and work my ass off to meet my goal. (industry job by the end of the year, i assume a lofty goal but if no ones laughing there not high enough) It will be a challenge and im every bit ready for it.

-I would love all the feedback i can get to better myself as i go.
-I will try and post every day as i plan on working at this goal every day until it is achieved.

Some specific goals.

-Obtain better overall knowledge of working with modular pieces.
-Become comfortable and better at art pipelines within UDK and Cryengine.
-Better material definition and texturing.
-More and better pre-planning.
-Have fun
-Actually update my website.

The first project i would like to do is a smaller but kind of cluttered and fairly detailed scene from a concept for, after doing an image search heavy rain and its by francois baranger. Hopefully i can do it justice. The concept has plenty of different materials and i will try and capture them all as best i can.
073_max.jpg

so far im working on a blockout witch i will post soon and ive done the high and low for a cctv seen on the right side of the image (or that's what it looks like to me.)

here is the resulting low poly plus normal map.

Capture-420.png

With this scene i plan on using Cryengine 3 and thats where i have run into my first snag. I have exported to Cryengine before but never with great outcomes.

im getting an error from the exporter as follows.

Failed to compile geometry in node "merged" in file file path/cctv_cry.dae.zip - more than two triangles share an edge.

I have tried going through and welding verts ect but nothing i still get this error every time, ill post the problem up on crydev as well but i thought no hurt in asking here as well.

Replies

• willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    figured it out, the handle faces were duplicated a few times for some reason.

Capture-441.png
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good Willy-wilson,

One thing i wanted to point out is the smaller scene you have chosen may be small in stature but large in work load. Current day interiors can be real time sinks due to the amount of stuff needed to populate the scene to a reasonable level.

Although in saying that keep it up!, when you get to the end of this you will have a great environment and if your current work is anything to go by a load of high quality props to fill out your folio with.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Goodluck dude ! You have a lot of props in there :)
  • johnicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really good! I totally feel you on getting out of the subway. I just graduated and I'm on a get-a-real-job warpath of my own. Best of luck to you and keep us updated on the work! :)
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    dude, i feel you. back in 2000, i was already 8 years into 3d, and i was flipping burgers at mc donalds. I got sick and had a fever from working too much (being at school too at the same time) and was forced to stay at home for 2 weeks, and that was a chance to refresh my 3D. I decided then that i gotta get out of mcdonalds ASAP. 1 month later i had a job in the industry as a modeller. Good luck to you!
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GabrielP polycounter lvl 7
    Heck ya, keep this thread rolling, storys like this are the best! In the mean time, you can make more the minimum wage doing work for IOS titles on small forums. Thats what Im up to, currently working to get my portfolio to a studio job level. anyways, best of luck!
  • JoeCyriac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good luck to you! Looking forward to this!
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Ah, that was an image that I always wanted to see in a 3D version, glad that someone is doing it.
    I'm looking forward to the updates and end result.

Good luck with the project and finding a job in the future
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Good stuff! I few questions. Have you identified your props in some sort of list? If not do that and try to just write down the way to go about it. Some stuff needs to be zbrushes, some doesn't and so one.

Write lists lists lists and keep to them. Otherwise, at least I, feel that it's quite easy to just pick something up to work with and forget about what you actually need to be working on.

Do a proper blockout!

Study the SDK wiki! Opens up for some great new ideas. For me this have really help tremendously. I'm doing an arttest at the moment in CE3 and it just helps to have a peek in there to get some technical ideas rolling. Like vertex colors, I know it's used by everyone, but I started to look at them in a new light with CE3.

^Me rambeling, hope you don't mind. I'm pretty much in the same position at the moment but I felt that just 2-3 weeks ago my creative block disappeared and I saw the fun in games art again :) Also, I'm doing a small indoors scene like you. We can be indoors buddys! Yeeey!

Keep it up!
  • Cap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap triangle
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    Have you identified your props in some sort of list? If not do that and try to just write down the way to go about it. Some stuff needs to be zbrushes, some doesn't and so one.

Write lists lists lists and keep to them. Otherwise, at least I, feel that it's quite easy to just pick something up to work with and forget about what you actually need to be working on.

Do a proper blockout!

This. A lot. Always start with a good block out, and I usually go a step further and get a base light pass in as well right at the beginning. These things will definitely help you nail the mood and proportions of the concept. It might seem boring but it is something you need to get into the habit of doing. The asset list thing will help you out as well, I would also try to judge the time you think each asset will take you to finish, and try to stick to it. Once I started to do that it really helped illustrate where I was spending much of my time and on what during any project (and also where I should be more efficient).
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i spent almost all of yesterday cleaning my work area because i tore it appart looking for my intuos 4 pen but now that i have it ive compiled a lit of stuff and i can continue.

I thought i was going to have to buy a new pen ugh.
  • Metzger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Willy-wilson, being in the same position as you at this moment I know exactly how you feel! And I have to stay what you are doing is inspiring me to do the very same. Keep up the good work, looking forward to what you are making here.