Home Technical Talk

ZBrush - Positioning in the centre

Hello all,

I'm kinda stuck in ZBrush. I have appended a subtool to a figure I am sculpting and I want to apply a few deformations to it from the "Deformations Palette". But it seems that the deformations are applied relative to the centre/origin of the canvas. So if I position the subtool near the head and apply the bend deformation, it bends differently than when if I postion it at the feet. Now I find it very frustrating trying to find the exact origin of the canvas (coz it isn't visible) so that I can move the subtool to that location and then perform the deformations correctly.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could please tell me what to do.

Thanks a lot
Emma

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Local Transforms or L.Sym could fix that, or at least have an impact on how they're handled. You can also use Transforms: S.Pivot to set a new center for the tool (which you can clear after deforming).

You can preview the current pivot point using Tools:Preview
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Cryrid, is there anything you don't know about ZBrush? Lol. I would love to just hang out with you for a day and watch you work.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    How to sculpt well
  • emmaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    Local Transforms or L.Sym could fix that, or at least have an impact on how they're handled. You can also use Transforms: S.Pivot to set a new center for the tool (which you can clear after deforming).

You can preview the current pivot point using Tools:Preview

Thank you "cyrid". I tried Local Transforms and L.Sym but that didn't make any difference. Then I tried Transforms: S.Pivot and instead of setting a center, it actually moved the subtool to the center of the document. I guess I must still be doing something wrong.

But atleast this way I can easily place the subtool at the center of the document, apply the deformation and then move it back to its original position so thank you for this tip. I had asked this same question in ZBrush's official forum and nobody could give me a simple straight answer as you did. I am truly grateful for your help :)
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Once you clear the pivot, it should jump back to where it was.
  • emmaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    Once you clear the pivot, it should jump back to where it was.

It worked!! :) Thank you so much. You are a genius!
  • hansolocambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hansolocambo polycounter lvl 8
    This thread is old but Cyrid, your advices are helpful "through time" ! I tried this S.Pivot a few times and couldn't figure out how it worked. Well now I know. And that's a f...king great option in ZB : one more ! :) Thanks dood.
    Edit : This being said, I tried a bit and S.Pivot resets temporarily the center of an object to the world's center, but weird enough X/Y/Z positions are very close to 0 but not exactly ? For example right now my object was 0.0002/0.04/0.052  Not a huge deal, but still... Got any idea ?