Home General Discussion

What do you use most?

Vio
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Vio polycounter lvl 6
I did a search "what software" and "most used software" and couldn't find a poll thread like this so I thought I would put it forward and see if from the "trying blender" thread, how popular it is compared to the mainstream packages and also how they all compare to each other.

Replies

• dii
  • Vio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    What did you search?

Also, the most relevant is from 2010, results move on and so on.
  • Kwramm
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Poser and Rhino 3d for me.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    NOTEPAD

accept reality.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    PAINT

Accept the uber reality.
  • encore
    Offline / Send Message
    encore polycounter lvl 5
    no love for ZBrush or Mudbox?
  • leilei
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    haha, the sole vote in blender
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    encore, the poll was for non sculpting packages:)
    I use imagine 3d for dos.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    POV-RAY
    (here's how you model a red cube)

#version 3.6;
    //Includes a separate file defining a number of common colours
    #include "colors.inc"
    global_settings { assumed_gamma 1.0 }

//Sets a background colour for the image (dark grey)
    background { color rgb <0.25, 0.25, 0.25> }

//Places a camera
    //direction : Sets, among other things, the field of view of the camera
    //right: Sets the aspect ratio of the image
    //look_at: Tells the camera where to look
    camera { location <0.0, 0.5, -4.0>
    direction 1.5*z
    right x*image_width/image_height
    look_at <0.0, 0.0, 0.0> }

//Places a light source
    //color : Sets the color of the light source (white)
    //translate : Moves the light source to a desired location
    light_source { <0, 0, 0>
    color rgb <1, 1, 1>
    translate <-5, 5, -5> }
    //Places another light source
    //color : Sets the color of the light source (dark grey)
    //translate : Moves the light source to a desired location
    light_source { <0, 0, 0>
    color rgb <0.25, 0.25, 0.25>
    translate <6, -6, -6> }

//Sets a box
    //pigment : Sets a color for the box ("Red" as defined in "colors.inc")
    //finish : Sets how the surface of the box reflects light
    //normal : Sets a bumpiness for the box using the "agate" in-built model
    //rotate : Rotates the box
    box { <-0.5, -0.5, -0.5>,
    <0.5, 0.5, 0.5>
    texture { pigment { color Red }
    finish { specular 0.6 }
    normal { agate 0.25 scale 1/2 }
    }
    rotate <45,46,47> }
  • respawnrt
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    I use Alias PowerAnimator.jbrJdRCo2IWMhN.jpg
  • Simmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Carrara

I learned everything I know from watching wendyvainity videos on youtube
  • Del
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Blaizer wrote: »
    PAINT

Accept the uber reality.

mind-blown.gif
  • Kungfujackrabbit
    Offline / Send Message
    Kungfujackrabbit polycounter lvl 10
    Well if memory severs me each year there is a new leader in 3D:
    1995 Softimage
    1996 Alias power animator
    1997 lightwave
    1998 3D studio
    1999 3D Studio Max
    2000 Maya
    2001 XSI
    2002 Maya
    2003 Max
    2004 Maya
    2005 Max
    2006 Maya
    2007 Max
    2008 Maya
    2009 Lightwave core flops MAX and Maya both Autodesk both lead now
    2010 Modo - (Softimage assiminated in max and maya)
    2011 Blender...nope max and maya
    2012 max and maya (softimage is given away as cupie doll in max and maya bundles)
    2013- TBD
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    what no milkshape 3d, how else would you mod half-life...
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I use Imagination.

I just Imagine my work getting done and then like 9months later it is.
  • equil
    i made a tesseract by hand in notepad a while back.
    {
    &quot;vpos&quot; : [0.0, 0.0,-1.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0,-1.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0,1.0,-1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0,-1.0, 0.0,-1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0,-1.0],
    &quot;vnml&quot; : [0.0, 0.0,-1.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0,-1.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0,1.0,-1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0,-1.0, 0.0,-1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0,-1.0],
    &quot;vuv&quot; : [1.0,0.0, 0.5,0.0, 0.0,0.0, 1.0,0.5, 0.5,0.5, 0.0,0.5, 1.0,1.0, 0.5,1.0, 0.0,1.0],
    &quot;vtris&quot; : [3,1,0,4,3,1,5,2,1,5,4,1,3,6,7,3,4,7,5,7,8,4,5,7]
    }

now i keep the number to the suicide hotline on speeddial
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Autocon wrote: »
    I use Imagination.

I just Imagine my work getting done and then like 9months later it is.

This is known as sexsomnia.

Also, go Modo! Woo, seven users!
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Swizzle wrote: »
    This is known as sexsomnia.

Also, go Modo! Woo, seven users!

think modo gets this low do to the question wording, it was asking about people main pacakge, im sure there are a lot like me who use modo for modeling and maybe uv's, than setup there scene and do everything else from maya.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, probably. It's not exactly the best tool for things like animation.

Also, I was only be half serious.
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    passerby wrote: »
    think modo gets this low do to the question wording, it was asking about people main pacakge, im sure there are a lot like me who use modo for modeling and maybe uv's, than setup there scene and do everything else from maya.

Excluding the sculpting,isn't model&uv'ing the main purpose of the main app?There's no that much thing to do out of the modo (but crucial steps for sure).Baking and maybe presentation.If you use xnormal and marmoset,then modo is pretty much same as any other 'main app' we called.Or simply bake it in 3dsmax,maya,whatever you want.I consider modo as a main app although I couldn't bake any hi-poly stuff in it.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    respawnrt wrote: »
    I use Alias PowerAnimator.jbrJdRCo2IWMhN.jpg

man the icons are still the same!!

(like the tintin scene btw)
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Jeez, PowerAnimator. That brings back memories. When I was in college, if you had a really great GPA you could take a PowerAnimator elective course in some dark and hidden room in the basement. They had it running on SGI Indigo workstations. I do not miss NURBS at all.

cadcam03.jpg

I think alot of people do not realize or do not remember how much talent was hidden behind the myth of NURBS superiority ( re: organic modeling )
    From what I remember of the game centric Poly links I had 24 years ago, they were limited to narrow concerns sometimes with neat triangle direction strategies, optimizations but not enuff to illuminate or account fer the grand scale of awe inspiring talent that would be unleashed? The way I remember it...
    There would have been no real hope ( ignoring Zbrush :poly124: ) for mankind without Mirai.

respect!
    countMir.jpg?1337221930

fig_14.jpg

fig_29.jpgfig_19.jpg

I wish I still had the CGW magazine... in which Bay authored his tutorial argument for modeling using joints in the very first stages of poly modeling in Mirai. ( model a Horsey or something like that )... Even though I followed along with an eval of Mirai my horsey quickly evolved into a dinosaur and after suffering with nurbs or lightwave ( which use to have a strict quad requirement ) being able to simple add detail wherever whenever I needed it seemed like the most religious, sublime feeling of empowerment and "right"ness. Maybe if I went from Power Animator to Zbrush... Then I would appreciate sculpting apps more.. But at that point Zbrush just seemed free-er after the revolution was already over.

I remember Indigos. When I was just starting from traditional to digital. SGi's and SUN`s were built like tanks...
    I wish I would have not trashed some of my old stuff so I could mod with them now...
    Still have an 02 I keep around because the nic is lic for Mirai ( But I am having trouble finding my old info and Izware can not find my lic records either. I would really like to take another deep review of Mirai's IK system and give Mirai a shot in Win7 :( )

Lil Blu Tank:
    SGI_O2_front.jpg

I thought the modular compact design was brilliant altho I think I remember there being a recall initially due to heating?
    sgi_open1.jpg

took awhile to ween away from the power animator blue. I use to rely on a usersetup hack that was shared on the old CreativeCrash/Highend3d/loomis listservers:
    [COLOR=#999999][COLOR=blue]scriptJob[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkorange]-e[/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=seagreen]"NewSceneOpened" " setAttr lambert1.color -type double3 0 0.588235 1"[/COLOR]

which is why my avatar is blu btw... ( the color of NURBS vomit is power animator blu ) albeit an old Entropy Render.

Kept that up for a long time cause I once despised the default lamberts default grey.

1-mirai-planet.gif
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Alright, so we got Rhino, Bryce, Paint, PoV Ray... anyone use Power Goo? We're onto something here. How about we start working on a mod for CryEngine? we got everything covered!
  • respawnrt
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Haha awesome :O
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think a friend managed to find a link for a Mirai installer not too long ago but it didn't work past the license authentication of course.

I remember the Bay Raitt videos ("An afternoon in 1999") where he indeed used some very slick quick rigging setup to easily manipulate his characters while working on them. It looked awesome and I'm not even sure if any 3D program today is able to do that ...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubgvomRTW80&quot;]Bay Raitt in Mirai - YouTube[/ame]
  • Farfarer
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    man the icons are still the same!!

(like the tintin scene btw)
    If I'm right, that's Thunderbird 3, not the Tin Tin rocket :D
  • dr jekyll
    Kwramm wrote: »
    Alright, so we got Rhino, Bryce, Paint, PoV Ray... anyone use Power Goo? We're onto something here. How about we start working on a mod for CryEngine? we got everything covered!

In local TV ghetto broadcasting studios I suffered with specular infini-D which had a very sloooooooow ray tracer or trying to render a flying logo under a weekend was too much to ask for using our avid's power mac 8500.

We were such idiots back then that we did not realize there was an option other than rendering to a file series format instead of a contained quictime .mov file! So if we came back after a weekend we would simply kill all the rendering the machine had done if not finished!

Eventually we upgraded to Lightwave and ElectricImage! Besides ElectricImage how about adding

Hash Animation Master wich had an advanced IK system.

Geometique was a macintosh software that could render RIB files.

Besides renderman and bmrt does anyone remember Jacopo Pantaleoni's LightFlow? http://www.lightflowtech.com/
    bspline5_s.jpgbspline4_b.jpg

That and Arnold
    -in beta still from solidangle?-
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vitdfmISlyQ&quot;]Softimage Arnold render engine sneak peek. - YouTube[/ame]

once were considered cutting edge sexy! And I don't think there are any global Illumination examples that surpass Exluna's Entropy? About the time Pixar's Steve Jobs killed the clones, bought Shake and sued entopy from under Larry Gritz, Larry Gritz migrated to Nvidia as did Jacopa! I imagine to create Gelato?

3Djoy! also mac

Photomodeler and Conoma I belive were both the only photogrammetry options till image modeler for anyone wanting to do a Matrix effect. Although the camera projection tutorials exploded shortly afterward where between tracking and projecting your own solution was easy enough.

Terragen landscapes

Not really 3d applications but Apple's QT3D and Maya's Art to Engine quickly became vapor. Supposedly Carmack visited Steve Jobs himself to convince him to drop QT3D and just adopt open gl.
    pior wrote: »
    I remember the Bay Raitt videos ("An afternoon in 1999") where he indeed used some very slick quick rigging setup to easily manipulate his characters while working on them. It looked awesome and I'm not even sure if any 3D program today is able to do that ...

Bay Raitt in Mirai - YouTube

Somewhere Martin Krol posted videos showing off Mirai's advanced animation system and had a couple threads preaching the benefits of Mirai's IK. He was pretty impressive considering he was just a young kid just getting his feet wet in 3D at the time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf1wDoerR4E&quot;]Posing Skeleton - YouTube[/ame]
  • Timmywithag
    Offline / Send Message
    Timmywithag triangle
    The profession I have chosen has an entire history that I am oblivious of.

Truly fascinating.
  • Vio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    The profession I have chosen has an entire history that I am oblivious of.

Truly fascinating.

I was lucky enough to grow up watching my dad work on these things like the old Indigo and silicon graphics stuff. Hes a car surfacer, his job started out doing technical drawings so he was able to see all these things come in.

Looks like its running in the family now lol
  • leilei
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Kwramm wrote: »

Don't forget Kai's Photo Soap so we can smear photos to create original character designs!

With great smear tool comes great power and responsibility.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    praise to carmack. QT3D was crud.

If there's any real expert here, what was the difference between Photo Soap and Power Goo? other than the latter came with every scanner, digital camera and what not and you would end up with as many power goo CDs as you had AOL ones.