Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Mill Valley Cabins [WIP]

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
I decided to take a u-turn from my usual arch viz workflow and dabble in real time. Personally, I think real time is a totally untapped market for architecture. Though, it's a complete departure from my normal workflow. There screencaps are not built with any final lighting, mostly preview to medium. I'm currently working on color grading/lighting. One thing about doing sort of the arch viz piece is the lack of grime/cleaner texture look. Granted some grime is needed, but having cleaner walls (especially on the inside) really shows off some lightmap acne. If I could just use stone walls instead of painted drywall......

The whole scene was inspired by the real Mill Valley Cabins in CA, designed by Feldman Architecture. You can see more of the actual ones here: http://www.archdaily.com/215195/mill-valley-cabins-feldman-architecture/

Though I am not going for an exact match, more of an inspiration from the buildings and the surroundings with my own spin on things. It's close, but not going to be an exact replica.

1331279074-mainimage-image-5-mvcabin-feldman-architecture.jpg

jh5HX6FV

AJ4HuuzX

Though, there is a shadow issue on just the BSP planes as shown below. I've tried increasing the whole scene dynamic shadow radius on my sun, but that doesn't seem to make any changes. Would just building with production lighting solve this? Or is it just a function of having a low setting sun and therefore the light itself is at a rather steep angle?

4n3QOdXt

Many more updates to come as this weekend is a big push to get it done.

Replies

• VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    Continuing on with an update with higher resolution shots with production lighting. Though, a strange problem occurs whenever I run the map through the command console to capture the high res frames for the final video. Some, only one actually, of the flowers seem to drop the texture map. However, the manually placed ones do not drop the texture, in fact not all of the foliage placed flowers drop the texture either, so I don't think it's a pathing issue. And it really only happens in one spot. These were placed with the foliage editor, so who knows? I'll replace them by hand if needed, not too many to do.

I'm currently running DX11 for these shots, playing with the bokeh depth of field. All in all, the end result of this is purely cinematic animation so I don't need to overly worry about in-game frame rate. Though, I'm at about 30-35 fps at most parts of this map when walking around with all of the bells turned on.

I still need some color tweaks and need to adjust my LUT as well.

Zpuw4Ld6

MW0rbUjH

Dlg8tjk6

bDgu04dz

43knCbpn

aAOaA2Vb
  • gsokol
    Looks cool.

That lighting issue that you were seeing on your patio there, it sorta looks like stepping from the falloff of the light. Did you try altering the angle a little bit?
    Personally, I think real time is a totally untapped market for architecture.
    Not that I follow arch vis very much...but I've noticed quite a bit of people utilizing the Unity engine for this type of work. Mainly, being able to make browser builds where you can interactively walk through an environment is a huge draw.
  • VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol wrote: »
    Looks cool.

That lighting issue that you were seeing on your patio there, it sorta looks like stepping from the falloff of the light. Did you try altering the angle a little bit?

Not that I follow arch vis very much...but I've noticed quite a bit of people utilizing the Unity engine for this type of work. Mainly, being able to make browser builds where you can interactively walk through an environment is a huge draw.

When I used production lighting, it fixed that issue. I've used Unity before, it's pretty darn good for viz work. But UDK has better out of the box support. A lot of what you see in Unity is baked from Vray, which really isn't all too efficient using unique textures per object. Yeah, Unity's ability to easly create web deployed content is pretty much a huge selling point to use it.
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    UDK is able to run in-browser utilising Flash now.
    Although I haven't really looked much into it, I think performance-wise it's similar to mobile platforms.
  • VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    That's right, I forgot they do have Flash support now. I'll have to take a look into it and see what the performance is like. Thanks! I tend to forget what was updated from the various Beta versions from time to time.
  • VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    Just for poops and laughs, here is the final compiled video, all done in UDK:

http://vimeo.com/user2231473/mill-valley-cabins

I wish I had more time to really refine some things, but the challenge due date crept up on me before I knew it. I'm more than likely going to re-visit this in a later date. But for now, it's time to give it a nap and move onto a new adventure.