Home General Discussion

the difference between gtx 670 and 680? " 3 frames! "

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
claydough polycounter lvl 10
Besides a "1 frame a second variation" among the graphic intensive benchmarks today... ( +1 in metro 2033's 4 frame difference & -1 in Arkham Asylum with a paltry 2 frame difference )
The amazing GTX 670 consistently scored only a 3 frame a second difference compared to the single GPU flagship gtx680 card! ( where according to Nvidia's math that 3 fps is worth $100 more :poly124: )

Looking at the specs it's easy to see why the score was about the same! ( it's basicallythe same card! )

Although a shorter PCB it is the gk104 again ( perhaps the rumors of the gk104 "not" representing the most powerful kepler single gpu were actually true?? )
With the same amount of memory and only a minor lowering of the clocks!
( With only 190 cores less than the 680's 1536 cores being the only major/minor difference... certainly not a clock difference any more radical than what a 3rd party would give a binned chip on a non reference board of the same chipset! )

judge fer yerself:
PCI-Express Graphics Cards

Graphics Card.....................GeForce GTX670.........GeForce GTX680
GPU Cores ...............................1344 ...........................1536
Core Clock (MHz)......................915 .............................1006
Shader Clock (MHz) ..................Boost 980 ...................Boost 1058
Memory Clock (MHz)................1502 ............................1502
Memory Amount.......................2048MB GDDR5.............2048MB GDDR5
Memory Interface ....................256-bit ........................256-bit

Beside the negligible 3 frame difference ( in bench so far ) this difference gives us less power consumption at lower temperatures under load as well!

( And supposedly supports surround from a single card just like the gtx 680 )

Depending on whether the card can maintain the power and temperature advantage when overclocked... Someone considering "tri sli" ing Kepler may be looking at a savings of $300.00!! ( Hopefully the card will scale as well as recent driver improvements have given the 400 and 500 series as of late )

No slouches in the benchmarks either...
Like Battlefield 3 with it's sometimes memory taxing GBuffer requirement...

Battlefield-3_Benchmark.jpg

At first I thought they used the Console nerfed Crysis 2 instead of Warhead but I would have still have liked to see enthusiast settings with extreme resolutions instead of HD... Where perhaps the GTX 680 could show where it's muscles were?
Crysis_Warhead_Benchmark.jpg

In Arkham Asylum, high tessellation was used But PhysX was disabled ( At surround resolution and with 3dvision turning Physx on the highest setting can punish my cards )
Batman-Arkham-City-Benchmark.jpg

And the new HeavyWeight Champ from my russian brothers...
  • Metro 2033 Benchmark
    • Settings: Very-High Quality, 4x AA, 16x AF, Tessellation, PhysX Disabled
Metro-2033_DX11_Benchmark.jpg

Where with Metro 2033 we see GTX 680 pull ahead by an additional frame a second. ( perhaps with more punishing benchmarks the gtx 680 will show power to handle next console PC gen punishment? That both cards creep well below an ideal 60fps does not inspire much confidence in that added fram though :shifty: ? )

Doesn't seem to make any sense to make a card that powerful against it's own Single GPU flagship? I wonder if another round of Drivers will not expose more hidden power with the 680's?

Kind of has me wondering if rumors of a gk100 GTX 780 were not true?

I am certainly not going to buy any time soon till I see what develops.

If I had already bought a gtx 680 right now I would be pretty nervous!
( I really am glad no KEPLER's were in stock! ) Cuz if these speeds hold, I think the gtx 670's look like easy TRI SLI fun for me at an amazing savings??

I also wonder if they made this card so powerful to match something AMD is about to release and jes decided to screw the early flagship adopters?
( which would be fine with me! Heck maybe they will release a 660 next month that is only 3 more frames down for another $100 dollar savings? :poly124: )
Where the gtx 570 this card replaces was only about even with the gtx 480 in performance...
Such a gtx 660 would Still bitch slaps the gtx 580 the way the GTX 670 has just destroyed the 580.:poly142:

I usually like the job Benchmark Review will do but I am wondering if they have not screwes up these results??

Or Maybe some new tech goes into this short PCB?
( I think the space over the end just supports the fan?? I wonder How short this card could be?? Watercooled would look pretty puny! Maybe the age of monster cards are over? )
NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-670-PCB-Bottom.jpg

Unbelievable...

Replies