Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mechanic Girl (revisited)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
sheckee polycounter lvl 9
LATEST UPDATE:

Scroll down to see previous updates

posetest_2.jpg

Hi all. Quite some time ago I started a thread here called Mechanic Girl or some such. But I never quite got into the swing of things with her and actually eventually decided to step away from CG for a short while because of other things going on. I've picked her up again now and have been modelling hard. I'm trying to figure out how to integrate sculpting packages into my workflow also, if anyone can give some input/tell me if i'm going about it wrong I would be most grateful. Any critique will be gratefully received.

Here's the overall shot of the model progress. So far everything is modelled in Maya, I was planning to do all of the hard surface in here and then sculpt these clothing pieces in zbrush or mudbox, hopefully that's a correct way to do things.

mechanicprogress_03.jpg

So I've got to sculpt her shorts, top, hand rag thing. I need to work on the gloves and the little teddy bear that's going to be attached to her thigh too. Also currently working on the hair planes.

Replies

• StolenPants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really nice so far dood. One little crit i have is from the front view those straps make her look pear shaped, which altogether isn't bad but they cover the hourglass part of her shape which i think adds a nice levle of sexiness to your mechanic. this will probably change after she is posed of course so it's up to you to tweak if you feel it's needed, just wanted to point it out. Also a few minor size changes could really improve her shape. shrinking the neck a little bit more as well as the waist and maybe taking another look at her clavicle area.

i really like those boots tho, remind me of snowboard boots mixed with some gears of war in a fun way. keep up the hot mechanic chick sculptings! i've always wanted to model one
  • sheckee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @StolenPants

Thank you for that man. Will definitely visit all of these areas of critique. The bracers are causing a problem with hiding her shape, you're right. It's a bit annoying in the current static pose, I too was hoping that upon rigging/posing that won't be a concern, but perhaps I can think of a way to make it work in this pose as well. Thanks again, appreciate it.
  • sheckee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update to this, a rotating gif. Few more things to model, then I'll hit Zbrush for the sculpting goodness.

mechgirlturnaround.gif
  • Reventius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reventius polycounter lvl 9
    Her legs are looking a little long in proportion to the rest of her body. You might want to see how they look if you shorten them a bit.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Reventius wrote: »
    Her legs are looking a little long in proportion to the rest of her body. You might want to see how they look if you shorten them a bit.

He legs are the right length but her upper body and shoulders are to skinny making the proportions look off. Shoulder sit about a half a head length over, yours are about way to close.
  • sheckee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computer problems slowed me down, but here's an update. Please guys, critique on anything is welcome. I'm struggling so hard to decide how high poly she should be, and in which case; how much work i'll let normal maps do. I've been trying to do test normal map bakes to help me decide inside of Maya, but really, my knowledge is limited and the bakes aren't working so well. Not really sure what process to use. I think I want the final model to be quite high res as it's not really a game asset, more of a short film type of thing. But there are some crazy details modelled in here that may be better off being a Normal map. If I was to keep all the high res details here, I'd imagine I'd need to consolidate some of the models into one mesh, especially the bag and the main body of the girl herself, because I intend to rig and skin her for some sort of animation. I'm really overthinking this I think, but I can't get my head around where to go next. Help would be really appreciated!

mechupdate_polycount.jpg
    mechupdate_polycount2.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Love everything about this, nice clean modelling too, keep it up!
  • sheckee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MEGrender3.jpg
    Here's an update. Made the hair, completely reworked the face topology for deformation and also altered all of the proportions for her. I think she looks much more refined now.
  • sofabound
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sofabound polycounter lvl 9
    looking really clean so far, can't wait to see the sculpt and textures!