Multiple animation file import with "@"

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
PeterK greentooth
So, I have my files:

character.fbx
character@idle.fbx
character@walk.fbx

I Import character.fbx, but the "character@" animations simply won't load. Anyone know what the issue could be here?

Replies

• blikstad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Based on the information you've provided, it "should work".

But with that said, without more to go on, it's impossible to say what's going wrong.
    You sure the animation FBXs are exported correctly? What exactly is your definition of "won't load"? Load where exactly? They won't import at all? They won't show up in the base meshs animation component? They won't show up on a prefab you've created previously?

I.e. need more info.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Heya Magnus,

You sure the animation FBXs are exported correctly?

I am exporting from max 2009 , selecting the object "export selected"; I have tried it both by exporting all animations with a mesh in the file, and also without a mesh in the file (while importing maintaining the mesh in another static pose file with the skin modifier applied and anomation unchecked in the FBX exporter).

What exactly is your definition of "won't load"? Load where exactly?

When I click "import new asset..." in the unity project view and then select my base mesh the character.fbx, the other files (character@idle / @whatever) do not import along with it (the documentation says it should come in automatically).

They won't import at all? They won't show up in the base meshs animation component?

Won't import at all.

They won't show up on a prefab you've created previously?

Not using a prefab.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You still have to import them.

What it means is the animations are automatically added to the original object on import.

So importing
    character.fbx
    character@idle.fbx
    character@walk.fbx

You end up with a character game object with the animations idle and walk already listed in its Animation component.

edit: Also, if you turn it into a prefab then import more animations, they won't get automatically added to that prefab (you'll have to add them yourself in the animation list of the Animation component), but they will get added to the original game object's Animation component. Bit annoying, but it's not too big a deal.
  • blikstad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, what Talon said. Just import all the files and it should work fine.

And as a side note; there's really no need to use the "import new assets" menu. It's basically just a glorified file copier.
    Simply drop your FBX files into your assets folder and they'll get automatically imported.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
  • scrogbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my experience with the animClips not loading correctly is when the skeleton's are different.

i put all of my animations with a mesh (character@clipName.fbx) into a folder inside of Assets. Then I drag each clip onto the one character i use.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    is there any advantage to doing it this way? any time i've imported animations i've just split it from one file within unity. I can see the point if you want to keep your sequences in separate files for easier editing and whatnot, but the filesize increase for each .fbx seems to outweigh that benefit
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    I first started out using the split animation function in Unity, having idle go from 0-60, walk from 61-75 or whatever.
    but that just felt like stuff didn't want to loop correctly

the character@animation works fine..

but I don't really see a use for it since now days I just import the animation files separately (.fbx) and assign them to the character in the inspector, which you have to do with @animation anyways if I remember correctly (if not, then "oh wow, I save 2 seconds").

just feels cleaner in the project folders to have animations called walk.fbx rather than character@walk.fbx. and then have folders separate the different animations and characters.