Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ORION: DINO BEATDOWN Characters

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
jeffreak polycounter lvl 6
Hi Guys! The game ORION: DINO BEATDOWN has been released and is available via Steam from SPIRAL GAME STUDIO. I created the 2 character classes namely: RECON, and SUPPORT while the ASSAULT was modeled "mminnitt". i was tasked by SPIRAL to modify the sculpt and the textures afterwards. I joined the team around march. It took me 2 months(part-time) to finish the the 3 characters.

Software used: Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop. XNormal, Marmoset Toolbag

Here you go!
Assaultwall.png
Reconwall.png
Supportwall.png
Carrier_pose.jpg
JUSTICE_FRIENDS.jpg

More images(Zbrush sculpt, Wireframe, Texture maps) at my ART BLOG

Cheers!!! :)

Replies

• k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
    Awesomeness! Really like the models.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Good work only crits I can think of are the scratches seem too uniform and some of the details look randomly placed rather than functional.
  • mminnitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mminnitt polycounter lvl 10
    I saw this a few minutes ago on your blog and I was a bit shocked tbh. I was the character artist on ORION from Nov '11 - Jan '12 and made the Assault class you're claiming as your own work.

I appreciate that you've added some normals and additional details to it but still: MY sculpt, MY game mesh and a good portion of MY maps.

Mine on the left, Jeffreak's on the right.

plagerism.jpg

As David Prassel has fallen out with so many staff, artists at Spiral Games are constantly picking up each others work [The herbivores I did for ORION are just re-textures of anothers mesh]. Seriously though - don't attempt to claim someone elses work as your own, it won't do you any favours in the long run.

For now I'd either like you to remove the Assault or link to reference explaining that you only detailed the textures.

EDIT: I've now seen the 'sculpt' you did for the char which is just my sculpt with some small cut-ins, I get that on the blog you do actually say you were asked to give it a makeover but it does look like you're claiming the majority of the thing as yours still.

mapsnc.jpg
  • darthwilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can second that, Mr Minnitt did originally create the character!

Did you remake it from scratch?
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    That sucks (kind of thing happens though, sometimes you get a model and don't even know whos it was before)

cool characters none the less
  • mminnitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sucks (kind of thing happens though, sometimes you get a model and don't even know whos it was before)

cool characters none the less

I know it's not uncommon, I mean I don't know who made the lowpoly meshes for the dinosaurs I retextured, but when posting the work anywhere it needs to be clear what part is yours.

Bleh. Not really a huge deal - just didn't like seeing my work labelled as someone elses.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Ouch.
    can we agree that artists have been thrown around a bit on this, and if they end up stepping on eachothers toes its not always %100 there fault. still Great model mminnitt jeffreaks additions seem done with care.
  • benjyshwa
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    mminnitt, you are right to get angry. People claiming work that isn't their own is serious business, and you should definitely stand up for yourself.
    I do see a couple differences in the mesh. Chest area and forearm look different in 'official' screenshots. And obviously the textures have been changed. But jeffreak didn't give any credit, which makes it seem like he did >all< of the work - when he obviously didn't.
    With that in mind, we can't really trust that anything he posted was made by him.

@benjyshwa, great links. Good to get some background on this company.
  • jeffreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffreak polycounter lvl 6
    @mminnitt and everyone, My apologies. Yes The Assault model is yours, I was tasked to re-do the sculpt and texturing, but due to to lack of time, I reused your model. I'm not informed who the previous modeler was. Again, My apologies.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    whats with the square feet? did you need the model polygon budgets to be lower due to having alot of things on screen?
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    inb4 prassel contacts admin and gets this thread deleted like usual
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Racer445 wrote: »
    inb4 prassel contacts admin and gets this thread deleted like usual

what really irks me is that polycount actually does pull these threads down no integrity right there :P

but i think the two guys resolved the issue so its all good in the hood :thumbup:
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Well, it happens all the time in the industry. However mentioning that the character is a make-over from an already existing model would be good to mention :)

Other than that, looks good! Would like to see them in action more. Maybe I'll watch some gameplay videos. :)
  • mminnitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffreak wrote: »
    @mminnitt and everyone, My apologies. Yes The Assault model is yours, I was tasked to re-do the sculpt and texturing, but due to to lack of time, I reused your model. I'm not informed who the previous modeler was. Again, My apologies.

Thanks for the apology man, I know what working for Spiral is like. But if you should happen to reskin any dinosaurs just drop me a mention yeah?

Also I do like the additions you made to the Assault, was made in a very tight timeframe and needed some love. Your characters are all pretty cool, and I guess you were playing ME3 while making the Recon - I'm getting hints of Tali! ;)

No hard feelings; keep up the good work.
    ae. wrote: »
    whats with the square feet? did you need the model polygon budgets to be lower due to having alot of things on screen?

Fairly low budget so I ploughed the geo into things which would be most noticable to other players. Aside from that though no real reason just the way it went.

Well since my art is here already this is essentially an ORION art dump; I'll add Sally to the blend lest it just become another 'Rage at Spiral' thread. I reused a chunk of the old rex mesh and the base of the sculpt but this is almost entirely my own work.

orion_sally.jpg

Image showing the sculpt Spiral provided me with and my version.

orion_sally_sculpts.jpg
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I actually really like the original sculpt. The face reads really well, and everything feels more natural overall. I guess your version gives a more pronounced normal map though.
  • mminnitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most of the difference is actually in the width of the thing - my version is much more bulky where the original was more raptor than rex. I know what you mean about the face though, it looked quite chunky and powerful with the oversized teeth etc - I was asked to make it more like a Rex I'd made as a personal project though (with the JP shape face)... and yes, it baked better!