Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stone Ogre WIP

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
Just started working on this tonight and felt like I must share it with my favorite community.ogreSketch2.jpg

Replies

• MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Nice start Donovanyoung, i'd like to see larger identifiable cracks running through it? At the moment it seems to be more heading towards a diseased skin rather than stone imo.

Something like this?

dpap-heartbroken.jpg
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    Interesting. One crit I would have, and this is more of a stylistic one, is that the stone aspect of him almost seems to be secondary. As if it were a growth on top of his flesh rather than integrated as part of his physiology. Now that could certainly be an approach for this, but I think it would read better as stone if the major forms of the body were more angular in nature, rather than very organic, as they are now. Or perhaps, you could just choose certain features to accentuate those angles in, such as you did to an extent with the insertion of his right pec muscle.

Really, it all comes down to what you want to convey. At the moment, this guy is reading more as an Asphalt Ogre (which could be cool in its' own right!) than a stone one, because of its organic silhouette, and relatively small scale of the surface stone texture.

But nice start so far! Detailing is definitely one of those things which is an Art in of itself, and is something which I have been trying to improve upon as of late as well. I look forward to updates.

Edit: MrNinjutsu kinda beat me to the punch there. But yea! bigger forms!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Clay is what it puts me in mind of, like the traditional Golem.

I thnk if you were to carry the nice lumpier detail on the chest area throughout the rest of the creature and give him a distinct asymmetry, it might work well. It kinda depends what this creature actually is. Did someone construct him? Did he just gloop his way out of a bog? Is he a regular ogre in a crispy shell?
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    So what I was going for was more of a skin disease that turns the creatures skin into more of a stone like thick skin. Probably closer to a terrible form of sirosis, that is incurable. Eventually it would turn him into a solid stone creature and he would die.