polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
leilei polycounter lvl 14
Yeah, it's out.

It has a single window mode now.

It's probably still messy though I have yet to try it out

The Windows build is a release candidate build still

EDIT: oh damn, a fatal flaw
GIMP 2.8 relies on a newer version of GTK+2 that unfortunately has partially broken support for graphics tablets such as Wacom. If your graphic tablet doesn't work in GIMP 2.8 as it should, we recommend downgrading to 2.6 until we release GIMP 3.0 that relies on GTK+3 which has fully functional support for advanced input devices.

.one step forward and six steps back FTL

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    leilei wrote: »
    Yeah, it's out.

It has a single window mode now.

It's about goddamn time! Enough excuses. If people are begging for it, you don't tell them they don't want it. I know it's a free app, but damn I hated the floating controls. Especially when you accidentally closed one (assuming it would close the app).

Too bad about the WACOM issue though :( (Un)fortunately (for me), I don't have one, so I'm going to go install it NOW :D

Edit: Doh, I forgot they don't provide windows binaries, and the guy that makes them, hasn't updated to 2.8. I'll try to compile it myself, and maybe post a dropbox link here, if a different compile doesn't appear first.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Windows installer is now available: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-win/files/GIMP%20%2B%20GTK%2B%20%28stable%20release%29/GIMP%202.8.0/

Wacoms might work, I saw someone mention using a Bamboo without any issues. I haven't tried it yet at all (waiting for a Mac installer...).

Note: You should grab the gimp-2.8.0-setup.exe link a little further down the list rather than the "Looking for the latest version? Download gimp-2.6.12-i686-setup-2.exe (21.2 MB)" link at the top of the page, it's a bit misleading.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Does Gimp have adjustment layers now? I remember last time I tried it (a long time ago), it didn't have them.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suspect the answer to that is "no".

They literally just integrated with GEGL, so 32bit image processing needed for adjustment layers is the next step. See: http://blog.mmiworks.net/2012/01/gimp-full-gegl-ahead.html for some insight into what the developers are thinking.

They did manage to get layer groups in though which amazingly was lacking prior to 2.8.

GIMP is still not a PS killer or even equal to it yet. Big strides have been made though, so the future of GIMP is looking much brighter than it had been when compared to even a few months ago.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    I think that gimp 2.8 looks great and works great for me.I love new features like rotate brush which wasn't included in older gimp versions and UI looks much more user friendly.
    I don't have wacom tablet but I do have genius one and works fine with it but I find new dynamics options so damn confusing.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    My Cintiq works fine. I like Single Window mode. I have an issue where panning the image slow down my machine. I've got a beefy system and 2.6 worked fine, so it's probably a bug.

The real deal breaker for me is that layers have a "boundary" that doesn't update when you move them. So if you have a 1024x768 image and you move a layer 40 pixels right, the left 40 pixels can't be used unless you update the layer boundary.
  • Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    Image panning lag on windows is indeed a bug. Unfortunately not much can be done about it right now. The bug is in GTK that GIMP uses to draw windows and widgets and the GTK is a separate project from GIMP. As far as I've heard, this should be fixed when GIMP is ported to GTK 3 (which will by itself also bring proper tablet support and faster brushes). No estimate when that will happen though.

Layer boundries can indeed be problematic and annoying. It's one of those legacy things that are known to be an issue, but haven't been tackled yet due to other priorities. According to the roadmap http://wiki.gimp.org/index.php/Roadmap it's planned for GIMP 3.2. However, the roadmap isn't always the best source of information and doesn't reflect recent developments, such as high bit depth aimed for 2.10 (instead of 3.0) and unified transformation tool being developed under this year's GSoC (instead waiting for GIMP 3.8 )
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I like the brush engine and proper color wheel a lot, but the UI is going to take some getting used to. I couldn't get into Gimp before because of a lack of a single window mode, but I'll see if I can get the hang of it enough to take over all my concepting work.