Home General Discussion

Reading to far into an interview

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
I have a question, and its kind of stupid, but I am going to ask it anyway. So one my job hunt I emailed a recruiter I know. I wont say who, or what company, but it is a massive game studio (with offices around the world). He was excited I emailed him, and he interviewed me only 2 days after I first contacted him, and had a 2nd interview the art director, etc. only a few days later. I was told in the first interview I was almost guaranteed the job, so on and so forth. I emailed my contact (who I initially contacted, and interviewed me first) about a week after the second interview and received no reply. Now almost two weeks later and still nothing. My question is, is this normal for this lack of communication to happen? I'm sure it's a very subjective question, and comes down to I got the job or I didn't get it, but it just sucks waiting around, you know? I'd like to hear about other people's similar scenarios. And please don't ask what company it is :)

Edit: I guess the question isn't if I am reading too much into the interview, so much as the fact about the lack of response on a job I thought I would have immediately.

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    You're reading too much into it, 2 weeks without any reply is pretty common I'd say. Try sending one email every week or so, to just check how things are going. While you're doing that, look for other jobs as well. :)
  • Captain King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with following up on weekly basis. I generally do that via e-mail when I'm looking for work. Just be sure to remain polite and courteous as well as proof read your e-mail (to some people, minor grammar and spelling mistakes really stand out). You don't need to write up a massively elaborate e-mail each time, just a quick "Hi J. Smith, I'm just following up on the So and So position. Thanks, Your Name".

Try not to get down if they don't get back to you, tell you the position's been filled, or the position's been closed. Projects and budgets change. Best of luck!
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I've had an interview experience that went like this...

Week 1: 1st Phone Interview w/Recruiter
    Week 2: 2nd Phone Interview w/Art Director
    Week 3: Nothing, but did follow up.
    Week 4: Nothing for Almost the whole week, then finally "We'd like to fly you out for an In-person interview".
    Week 5: Had my In-Person interview on Tuesday.
    Week 6: Got job offer.
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    matthewjvia polycounter lvl 13
    I had an interview with a studio almost 3 months ago and never got a response from followup emails. Then last week I found out that they put the position on hold while they prepare to move to a new building. I also had one studio take over a month to review my art test before asking me to do an interview. So, these things happen. Just be patient. If they liked you that much, then odds are they will let you know one way or another, it just might take a while.
  • wasabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just did my first ever art test 2 weeks ago and no response until now...
    Nervous as hell..........
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    My current job took 3 months to get back to me for an interview after I applied.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    One job took a month to get with follow ups each week...another took two months going three interviews deep and not getting the job.

These days it's an employer's market so there are some things you can do...

1. Don't put all your eggs and plans into one basket, keep looking. You may get a better offer, accept it and then find out that the first one fell through because there was a change in need. Also people that make decisions go on vacation too.

2. Never burn bridges, if you get a more immediate offer you can always let the first company know. They may ask for one more day before you commit.

3. Keep working on your own projects. When you aren't working for a company, effectively you are working for yourself. Update and continue to improve your portfolio, that will keep you thinking of work and not pending offers.

4. Last, and this is for new people, don't spend the money you haven't earned yet. It makes no difference if the CEO tells you that you have the job, until you are taking your lunch in the company cafeteria.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    katana wrote: »
    One job took a month to get with follow ups each week...another took two months going three interviews deep and not getting the job.

These days it's an employer's market so there are some things you can do...

1. Don't put all your eggs and plans into one basket, keep looking. You may get a better offer, accept it and then find out that the first one fell through because there was a change in need. Also people that make decisions go on vacation too.

2. Never burn bridges, if you get a more immediate offer you can always let the first company know. They may ask for one more day before you commit.

3. Keep working on your own projects. When you aren't working for a company, effectively you are working for yourself. Update and continue to improve your portfolio, that will keep you thinking of work and not pending offers.

4. Last, and this is for new people, don't spend the money you haven't earned yet. It makes no difference if the CEO tells you that you have the job, until you are taking your lunch in the company cafeteria.

Perfect Advice!!!!
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for all the reply's everyone :) I'm not going to reply to everyone's individual post, but I will say thanks to everyone, as this has calmed me down a fair bit. I will be sending the 'week 2' follow up on Friday, and continuing to work on my portfolio, and apply to as many other places as possible.

wasabi: Best of luck!