Home General Discussion

horizontal flips of renders...

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Belias polycounter lvl 14
hello

why some images when flipped horizontally they become annoying to look at?

Replies

• Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    Must be a glitch in the Matrix
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I'd be inclined to say it's because our minds have a natural way of reading an image 'left to right, top to bottom' for Westerners for example. So, if the composition is pleasing when read that way, chances are it won't be when it's flipped the other way... and vice versa.

I know what you mean though, sometimes I'll flip an image and it looks worse.

Or, what Jeremy said.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    TeeJay wrote: »

...sometimes I'll flip an image and it looks worse.

Hate to break it to you but it looks the same just flipped. And if it looks bad than it's just plain bad.

It's a known issue for hundreds of years. Your brain gets adopted to a certain "view" of an image really fast and since it takes a while to produce an image you generally stop seeing most of it's lapses and shortcomings. Classic artists solved this by frequently looking at their paintings in the mirror and modern artists, 2d at least, generally have a habit of flipping an image from left to right all the time while working.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not so much the issue with this image in particular..but in general..bad composition causes things to look off when flipped. Like d1ver said, artists flip their work all the time...because it should still read well.

I think for your character in particular...its just due to the way we are accustomed to seeing things. Perhaps its because we read from left to right, or maybe its because we usually don't see to many people with a soccer ball next to their left foot..since most people are right handed/footed. Its just an unfamiliar pose in our mental library.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    but its backwards
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    There's actually a whole lot of study regarding art and it's implications and what not, pertaining to composition. The Mona Lisa, for instance, is composed in a specific way for some reasons (can't remember :S) and when flipped doesn't look right.

Don't get me wrong, 90% of the time the artists jut plain fucked up, but it can be useful and isn't always a mistake. Some Googling should yield more answers.