Home Technical Talk

modo- simple UV question

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
ok, feel like a newbie asking this but I'm stuck with a UV problem in modo.

I have a model with all sorts of primitives all scaled, translated and placed differently in a scene. I want to planar map the whole lot of them from the front (lets say x) so that objects lower down appear lower in the map, and objects high up appear higher in the map.

that sounds pretty straightforward to me, but when I planar map all the separate objects, modo does them all individually instead of as a group- so an object might stretch the entire length of the map, superimposed over other objects- instead of appearing at the bottom or top.

I'm pretty sure in max or maya this would be easily doable so I'm hoping there's a way in modo *without* combining all the objects. I wish to preserve their translations individually

cheers!
-Rich

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can project from view.

Select that option from the UV tools tab and then select the viewport you want to capture the viewport-positions-as-UV-coordinates from.

I think that's what you're after?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    project from view has the same problem, unless it's an issue with my modo?

try creating a few seperate meshes, scatter them about a bit, select them all and do project from view. When I do it, same as the planar map, the objects are all mapped centered to the uv window (in fact, with just a test scene of scattered boxes, they are all assigned exactly the same UVs- from perspective, but only of maybe the first or last box selected)
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I see what you mean.

Works fine if they're all one mesh, but if they're separate items it does strange stuff.

Then I'm not sure how to do it :/
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    it's a shame, since I'm sure at least maya handles this without a problem. I'll struggle on I 'spose with merged geom. really wanted to avoid it!
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It shouldn't take tooo much effort to script it (planar project from origin then offset by the object's position).

But yeah, shame it's not like that straight up.