Home General Discussion

Computer Glasses

Anyone ever try these things? Im on a computer probably 12 hrs a day minimum from work to playing games, if im not playing hockey im usually on a computer. My eyes got bad a few years back, i got glasses and the usual i was just curious if anyone has tried these to reduce the strain

Nick

Replies

• glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Yep, Link plox! I'm very interested in keeping my eyes as healthy as possible
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I heard about Gunnar a while back and some E-Sport players swear by them.

http://www.gunnars.com/
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting... never really thought about this that much until acouple of weeks ago, after working on my laptop for nearly 60 hours straight to hit a deadline... got to a point where i was struggling to even focus on anything.. was super weird... might of just been the lack of sleep and the huge amount of coffee tho!! :D

bet they get real expensive when you add a prescription to them tho!
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    After graduating I was getting some eye strain so I was interested in Gunnars. Turns out my vision wasn't perfect to begin with so I got prescription lenses to go with them. My prescription is very minor though; I think it's -(.5).

Now I can't stand looking at a screen without them. I think it has a lot more to do with the lenses than the yellow tint though. When my new benefits kick in, I'm getting my eyes checked again and new (regular) glasses. The yellow "dims" everything to an extent, and screws with color perception. I have to take them off when texturing because of the hue change.

I'm mostly tired of the way they look. Going in, you know you're not buying them because they look cool, but when you look in the mirror you'll think they don't look half bad. The problem is, you're looking at yellow glasses through yellow lenses... so they're a lot more yellow than you realize. Don't kid yourself, they look dumb.

I'd recommend getting a thorough eye exam and regular glasses with anti-glare lenses instead.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Are they the glasses that came CoD branded a while back? Thought they were just designer shades lol. I can understand their use for work etc. but dude if someone is gaming so much they become a good idea, and they aren't earning thousands of it... might be time to try the outside world hah.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    Are they still doing this scam? This is the whole 'blublocker' all over again.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gunnar are essentially tinted glasses, so yeah, not great for ANY kind of artist who has to work with colors.

As for anti-glare glasses, from my recollection, they were essentially polarized glasses with a sight vignette in some cases, again, I'm not sure how 'good' they are for an artist.

My best advice is to calibrate your monitor instead, you should be able to clamp exp. values between 0.1-0.9 with some progs and soften the 'bleed' of the white hues if there are any. Many laptop tend to automatically apply this math when you take the brightness down to 1 or 2. I'm not kidding, if you have a laptop like an ASUS, you can drop down the brightness to 1 and increase to 2 at most, and you'll get true colors without burning your eyes, makes you wonder why some artist go all out full :/

If anyone is willing in advising some nice programs that allow you to play directly with the source of our issues, I'm pretty sure now is the time to be a hero.
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, I've tried to calibrate my monitors, but I think I didn't do it right. I wish there was a program that could just take direct control of the settings and adjust to the desired results. My eye strain has been real bad this last year of school.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    samcole wrote: »
    Yea, I've tried to calibrate my monitors, but I think I didn't do it right. I wish there was a program that could just take direct control of the settings and adjust to the desired results. My eye strain has been real bad this last year of school.

You have to hand adjust each monitor, they are all different, windows 7 has a color calibration option in the control panel. But there are a lot more calibration images online.
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z0ltan polycounter lvl 13
    http://stereopsis.com/flux/ will save your life. I turn it off when doing stuffs with color, but for everything else this works amazing.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great idea zoltan will give a try
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks to everyone else chimming in
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I asked an eye doctor a few years ago about this.

Blink a lot.

When your working on your PC, you can get really focused on your monitors...and without realizing you will blink significantly less. This causes your eyes to dry out and leads to eye strain. You have to try to remember to blink more...even if you don't need to blink, just doing it will help get a little more moisture on your eyes and you will be much less likely to get an eye strain.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Gunnars are actually quite cool.

I have a pair, I tend to forgot to put them on but whenever I do I am really glad. The yellow tint blocks the bad blue rays, contrast is increased, and they have a very subtle magnification and warping going on making you feel "inside" the picture. I really quite like them ! They feel very good when looking at an ipad or a PSP screen too.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I think the 3 most important things to help eye health are:

1. Don't cheap out on your monitor. Get good quality with good definition.
    2. Find out how big your monitor is and then work out how far you have to sit away. I've got a 24" monitor and I make sure I keep my head atleast at a 70cm distance. Since I moved my monitor back I rarely get eye fatigue.
    3. Calibrate your monitor(s). I found THIS website great as it helps you adjust things that you wouldnt normally think about, but make a huge difference.

EDIT: This is more for Desktops, as opposed to laptops.
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And have a 5 min break for your eyes every houre. Our eyes have there energy limit too
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    SCB wrote: »
    2. Find out how big your monitor is and then work out how far you have to sit away. I've got a 24" monitor and I make sure I keep my head atleast at a 70cm distance. Since I moved my monitor back I rarely get eye fatigue.

This is such an underestimated point. My desk at home is about half the depth of the one i have at uni and i get so much more eye strain with being closer. to the monitor.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    z0ltan wrote: »
    http://stereopsis.com/flux/ will save your life. I turn it off when doing stuffs with color, but for everything else this works amazing.

I swear by this now. You just disable for a hour when texturing. Dont freak about pinkish white, its a matter of perception which doesn't mean anything if your just working on mesh ect. And you get used to it really quickly.

I've installed this on all the computers at our uni and its gotten nothing but positive feedback.

I've done over 100 hours of work this week on computers an it has saved my life. (massive deadline, lots of caffeine pillz)
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    As for monitor calibration, every company on earth that has to do with any kind of color manipulation need to get an external piece of color calibration for their employees. I was surprised 2 years ago when I started as an intern at an arch viz company that also did a lot of print material that they haven't bothered getting their screens calibrated; so we bought a Spyder Elite(http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder4elite/) and now every single screen goes under a monthly calibration, we even set up a company profile that makes sure that the result we see on our screens are ~95% corresponding to everyone else's.

This also helped a lot of my eyes because you actually calibrate your monitors brightness to match the surrounding light.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I like how the flux website has an eye burning color scheme.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But flux is just that, tints the screen like a glass. I was hoping for an actual calibration of the monitor on digital level if someone doesn't have all those fancy buttons under the screen.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Zpanzer wrote: »
    we bought a Spyder Elite(http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder4elite/) and now every single screen goes under a monthly calibration, we even set up a company profile that makes sure that the result we see on our screens are ~95% corresponding to everyone else's.

For $250 I can't think of a reason why every studio shouldn't have one, I wish I could rent one for a one time set up.
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    I try to take a 15 min nap every 4 hrs, just to give my eyes a rest. But I need to find a way to get some prescriptions glasses that don't adjust color and still help eye strain.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    You don't have to take a 15 minute nap every 4 hours. Just stand up and stretch and walk away from your computer monitor for about 5 minutes once every hour. Taking that short break is good for your health for many reasons.