[UDK] Temple Entrance Environment

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Sugus polycounter lvl 7
CURRENT PROGRESS:

templeentrancefinal.jpg

THREAD:

Hello Polycounters,

I've been looking at everyone's amazing work for a couple of months already but never posted any of my artwork myself, so here I am now to do so. Really excited to form part of the community!

Beeing completely new to UDK, this project is helping me to understand how the engine works and day after day I learn a new thing.

The initial idea for this was a temple in a floating island, then it moved to be just a temple without a floating island and now im considering going back to the inital idea.
Anyway, enough babbling, here are some screenshots I took from the level:

secretgarden.jpg

secretgarden1.jpg

Things I have noticed and need to be fixed:

- The face sculpture normal for some reason baked down showing the low poly object within the normal map, giving the mesh a very awkward look.
- The roof top thing is too clearly modular and can be seen where repeated, will have to look into that.
- Landscape looks terrible, i´m heavily considering making a Floating Island in Mudbox and then bring it into UDK.
- Need to revisit the base mesh for the stairs because they don´t match horizontaly (should be just a case of matching vertices, not a big deal

So, what I intend to do:
- Create a waterfall that will come out from the Face’s mouth (hence it being open), flow a bit and fall into nothingness from the border of the floating island.
- Create a particle system that mimics falling leaves
- Add veins to the whole thing?

As for the colour theme, does it look a bit monochromatic? I´ve mainly gone for yellow/brown/reddish colours and this might be a bit boring. Opinions?

So I hope I get good crit and advice from the community, please point out even the littlest detail: I want to learn and improve :)
Also i´m currently reading about matinee to set up a camera and all that, so i´ll post a vid of it as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Replies

• sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start for someone new to udk. I'm no pro myself but here are a few ideas.

1) Are these going to be ruins? Have they been there for hundreds of years? If so I would recommend taking a look at something like this.
    http://cghub.com/files/Image/004001-005000/4855/691_realsize.jpg
    Make sure the objects know each other. Right now everything looks separate like they don't belong together. If it is ruins make sure to show some rubble and some overgrowth. Make sure the landscape textures blend with the vegetation and stonework. I'm assuming there would be some sort of path way to the entrance that would look like it's been well used.

2) Try to do some research on creating some nice tileable textures.

3) I would recommend a complimentary color scheme.

4) Vegetation will be important to get that jungle/forest look if you are going for that. There are some great tutorials on youtube for speedtree.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks Sipher!

The idea is that it will eventually look like ruins, problem is hand in is soon so atm im focusing on getting it looking solid and consistence and once that is done (I plan to continue this project after the submission) then I’ll start making it look more like ruins by adding the overgrowth, blending together the environment (vertex painting I guess?)

Here´s a quick update:

I decided to ditch the Landscape as it was not giving me what I wanted and instead sculpted the terrain in Mudbox and painted it in there as well. Still need to build up a proper Shader for the terrain, atm it’s just the diffuse stuck to it.

I also tried to change the vegetation colour, back to how it was initially. I still need to play a bit more with the colours but it will probably stay in the greenish area. Plus I’ve modeled some new plants to add some variation, creating also 2 diferent colours (I can create as many as I like, for it’s a material instance).

One thing that I forgot to mention is that the tree trunks are very wippy and don´t look at all jungle-ish. I will deffinately go back to them and sculpt proper trunks. I will probably use speedtree to get some more trees in it, but as a first start I wanted to learn how to model trees myself, and not rely on external packages.

Anyway, here is the update:

secretgardenupdate.jpg

Regarding tillable textures I watched and learned from the 3Dmotive Tilable Textures by Ryan Smith. The wall behind the face statue has one of those textures, but the mesh is still from the blockout and needs to be revisited. Here is the texture for the wall:

tilablewall.jpg

And here it is for the floor:

floortile.jpg

With this one i´m planning to set up a shader to vertex paint a mixture of it with sand blening onto a geometry or second option is learn how to apply height maps in my shader and then vertex paint sand on top of that geometry, as opposed to painting sand and the texture in one.

Once achieved I will make the path towards the temple entrance eroded by sand and partally covered by it.

Again thanks for the crit mate, really helpful 
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man those new textures are pretty tight. I'm not sure how you are placing your plants but the foliage mode is pretty handy. You can set the scale min to like .5 and max to like 2 or 3. Throw in a random pitch too. This gives a pretty nice effect. I made this in just a few minutes using the foliage already in udk. Be careful with some of their meshes as they are really high poly and too much of this will crash udk.... especially their grass.

foliagemode.jpg
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah i knwo about the foliage mode but for some reason it didn´t want to place foliage on top of my static mesh (which I have enabled in the foliage options), so i just placed them around very quickly to get a vague idea of how the final thing could look.

I'll have a look at why it isn´t working and try replacing the plants with the foliage mode! Thanks!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Quick update:

I managed to set up a vertex paint for the path that leads to the temple entrance, this is what it looks like:

vertexpainttest.jpg

Also changed the terrain shader so that i could also vertex paint on it so that the path static mesh and the terrain blend in together properly (although at the moment you can see the geometry edge, but it was just a test, i'll go in a model a proper path)
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is just an idea, but how about some uneven stones on this pathway? I mean just some boxes sticking up a little to give it more depth, because now it looks realy flat and boring. other than that it looks pretty good.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    I really like what you are doing here, @Sugus.

You have the right attitude - eager to learn and constantly pushing yourself by critiquing your own work :)

With regards to foliage, I think you are much better off modelling it yourself and trying to stay away from Speedtree because:
    a) You'll learn more.
    b) It will look better.
    c) You have far more control over your objects.
    d) I can't find any advantages of Speedtree that outweigh points a,b and c :D

The Foliage mode in UDK is also great for placing plants (and any other objects) because it instances meshes and ultimately saves time and draw calls.

Keep up the good work, I'll hold off critiques until you've come a bit further.
    I can't wait to see more!

Edit: Although, I'd say take out the stock UDK 'Rock Mesa' meshes as I can spot them a mile off :P
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @Serei - Good advice, i'll get down to that asap! It was one thing i had in mind, to scatter some stones around :) Thanks!

@SirCalalot - Yes, im also pro-do-stuff yourself, the only reason i was planing to go to Speedtree was to get in as much foliage variation in the fastest possible time, just to show it in the hand in and once that time pressure is gone go back and model the tree's myself.

Atm all foliage has been modeled and textured by me. I'm quite happy with the canopy but there is so much room for improvement. When i did this i used Maya to model everything and then took it to Max and used the RTT feature, which in Maya i couldn't get to work properly. Moving around from packages gave me some problems and i think thats where my erros came in.

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention that the big background rocks are placeholders :P Another thing on the list of things to do!

I also figured why I couldn't place Foliage in my Static Mesh. Basically the island doesn't have a collision defined and therefore the Foliage Mode will refuse to place foliage there. I tried to use the auto convey colision box but because I have two rocks at the sides it doesn't make a proper col box, because the mesh has like a concave shape.

What i'll probably do is separate the mesh and have the rocks as separate, that way i should be able to get a proper col.box.

Thanks for the input both of you! :)
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Hi everyone, been away all weekend so couldn’t do much. But here is a little update:

I modeled some bricks which I, for now, scattered randomly in the path. The position of these hasn’t been though logically (as in, I haven’t questioned myself “why is there a brick there?” when I positioned them), but I will think of something to create a story to the environment, suggestions welcome! :)

Aside from that, I’ve been playing around with vertex paint, applying it to probably all of my materials :P I have a question regarding this subject for all you guys:

-Is it possible to change the colour of what you are vertex painting?

I tried moving the colour wheel in the VPaint menu but didn´t work hehe, so I’m assuming that if its possible it must be done in the material editor. Will experiment with that…

Anyway, here are the new pics:

sgupdate.jpg

This one is of the entrance, the back stairs need to be vertex painted.

sgupdate2.jpg

So yeah, after adding the vertex paint I kind of broke a bit the amount of tiling meshes in the scene, now I just need to add colour variation to the vertex paint to make it even less tillable.

I also discovered why the static meshes where showing the low res geometry even though they had a normal map. Well, when baking in xNormal under Smooth Normals i had selected "Use exported normals", when i changed it to "Average" the whole map looked much nicer. That plus Softening the normals in Maya. Everything looks nicer now :D (Maybe from far away you can´t really apreciate it but with a closeup view it was too obvious...)

I think modeling some rocks comes next, those default ones are just tooo obvious :D
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's coming along nicely!

With regards to ground collision, you can make your own collision mesh for your terrain. As long as the terrain isn't too dense as it is, you can probably just duplicate it in Maya and rename the copy exactly the same as the original but with "UCX_" in front of it.

I hope that's clear. I'm very tired :S
  • Guy123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really good!

Just a quick one from me, remember grass can't grow (rarely anyway) in sand, so make sure you place the planes correctly!
    Also try and keep the base of the grass texture the same (ish) colour as the ground that it is coming from, therefore blending in better. At the moment the grass planes stick out quite a lot.

Keep going! Already a huge improvement!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    In my experience, in parts of the world where you see Khmer architecture like that, there is hardy any sand, but there is a lot of short grass and open plains.

Why is Buddha's mouth wide open?
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He plans on having water coming out of the statue's mouth :)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, now it makes sense, terrain shape and everything..
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @SirCalalot – Thanks man, i knew about the UCX naming and everything but when i tried importing the the UCX_Mesh UDK came up with an error that said “Import Failed”, without any explanation. I´m guessing it could probably be that the mesh is a bit high in tricount?

@Guy123 - Good input, had a similar one from a friend of mine.

I have given this some thought and probably I will remove all the sand where the patches of grass are. I kind of tried to imagine a situation in which there would be sand and grass.

The situation would be that very strong winds should blow in order to move around the sand but then A) I would need to create a strong particle system mimicking a sandstorm and B) pump up the wind actor. This would lead to 2 negative things: A) The sandstorm would have to logically be the same colour as the sand and would bring back the monotonous color scheme and B) I don´t want (and this is personal touch) to have a strong wind blowing my trees and grass.

Will change the grass blade colour to match the ground, added to the must do things! :)

@Ambershee – When I started creating this project I wanted to have the architectural style but not the geographical setting. So i´m not trying to replicate Cambodian ruins but replicate ruins with a Cambodian style. And as Calalot says i´m planning to add water pouring from the mouth and flowing down the river bed (the concave shape) and fall from the precipice.

Here´s the update:

20413193.jpg

I finally got rid of the default rocks (oh my, my scene just got worse :P ) and modeled my own ones. Im not too happy with them so for now (deadline close) I’ll leave them as they are, probably work a bit more into the material itself, and when I have more time then re-do them.

Thanks for all the inputs guys, really appreciate them!
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that something you need to sort is also to replace the default UDK sky.
    Maybe a nice hand-painted one? Or something mimicking the style of @choco's skies?

You could also look into Colour Look-up Tables to recolour your scene using Photoshop :)

Oniram wrote: »
    LUT
    [vv]38542834[/vv]
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @SirCalalot – Sorry for the late reply mate, i’ve been finishing off some other projects for Uni and have been unable to answer.
    Oh, and I also handed in this project, so now comes the good part where I don’t have anything else to do except this :D (and some animations…duh)

I have played around with LUT’s briefly before handing in but I couldn’t find one that suited what I wanted, so im guessing I didn’t play around enough. I´ll deffinately give it another go as im sure I can improve my scene drastically with it! Thanks for that vid, will give it a watch right now!

About the sky’s, I had completely forgotten it was default and that it had to be replaced haha.
    Yeah, Choco’s thread is like pure gold, probably gone through it so many times… Not sure whether to go that hand painterly style, might not fit with the architecture in the scene.

So ok, now that I’ve handed in this I’d like to do a recap of what I intend to do:

- Water pouring out of the statues mouth, creating a river which ends in waterfall.
    - Sculpt the tree’s properly (they have no normal maps atm)
    - Get specular maps on anything which hasn’t got one
    - Add particle effects (dust, falling leaves, “glowing bugs maybe?”)
    - Improve the blending between ground and grass
    - Get a collision box on the terrain that works
    - Create vines

This would be for the entrance area. Once this is done I will attempt to build something on top, we’ll see.

• Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Hi everyone,

I played around a bit with the LUT’s and this is what I came up with:

luttest.jpg

I personally like the LUT2 but I do think it makes the sky look too blue? Alhtough if I’m eventually replacing that it shouldn’t be a problem :)

Opinions? Suggestions as to what could look good?

I have also done a quick setup for the water movement and so, pay no mind to the diffuse, just wacked in a random colour to see how it looked.

Atm it looks horrendous, but its just a start and ill build up from here. You also get to see the grass and trees moving :D

http://youtu.be/0Gzcedsnq70

Sorry about the link, couldn't get the embeding working? :S
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like LUT1 and I'm a big fan of vibrant and bold colours.
    Too many games / scenes use desaturated or brown tones these days :P
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LUT2 has tones that look more genuine to me. I like bold and vibrant colours, but LUT1 doesn't look real.
  • ev149
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LUT2 all the way. LUT3 is way too red, and the original looks kinda bland being washed out like that. Nice work so far!
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    LUT2 looks great.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm reading everyone's comments and I'm all like, "Yes, I'm glad everyone agrees with me. LUT2 looks the best".

... So why did I put LUT1 in my post?
    SirCalalot wrote: »
    I like LUT1 and I'm a big fan of vibrant and bold colours.
    Too many games / scenes use desaturated or brown tones these days :P
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @SirCalalot - Typical typing mistake where you're thinking one thing and typing another :D Thanks!

@Amber/Ev/David - Thanks guys, I kind of knew straight away LUT2 was working best, just needed 3rd eye's opinion :)

I also prefer LUT2, the video I linked showing the water is actually already the LUT2 so I guess from a start I was already inclined to use that one :D

Ok, animations are out of the way, I have finished my first year and now comes the good no pressure learning period. I'll give myself a couple of resting days and as soon as they are over i'll start working again.

I'll start by fixing everything that has been pointed out and then ill move on doing some vines and sculpt the trees.

I'm not sure what to do with the top section (where the stairs lead to). Atm its going upwards but I was thinking I could have them descending, leading to a temple which is underground(Bad planification, wish I'd had more time to do so).

More to come soon! :)
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    I say LUT2. Really loving ur environment so far. keep it up! i'll be sure to follow this
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Okay, so a couple of days turned out into a week of resting (guess I needed it)

I modeled some vines, generated normal map for the tree and adjusted the water to make it more muddy.

For those materials that lacked a specular I created that specular.

Also played around with DOF and Bloom, so any critique regarding that would be appreciated.

I still need to correct the blending of the grass with the ground as it’s one thing that still stands out quite a lot.

Here is what I have so far:

templeentrancefinal.jpg

templeentrancefinal2.jpg

Aside of what’s already been mentioned does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could add to improve my scene?

I’ll probably tweak a couple of things and then call this one done :)

Thanks!
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    feels like the colors are very washed out!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks mate, it does look washed out indeed. Probably the Depth of Field isn't helping very much, nor is the bloom. I'll tone them down, play a bit with the saturation also and see what I can come up with.

Thanks!
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not a big fan of the murky water as it just doesn't read well at all :\

Have you tried a more translucent material with some nice animated distortion effects going on?
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @P442 – Don’t know wether that’s suposed to be a good thing or a bad thing but it certainly made me laugh haha! :D

@SirCalalot – Hheheh I did try to replicate water but didn’t get a good result, hence me trying another thing. Probably didn’t spend enough time at it, I’ll go back and try and see if I can get something similar to water that works better :) (I think I recorded a video of it and posted it back somewhere on page one)

Ok, so regarding the Colour washed scene I got rid of the Bloom and DoF, changed a bit the colours of the scene, desaturated the plants a bit (to make them less eye-catching). This is the result:

ndnb.jpg

After that I played around a bit in Photoshop,in my opinion it looks already better than the previous ones. The difference is maybe barely visible at first glance, but when you flicker between the two images it stands out quite a lot:

lutadjst.jpg

Any opinions, suggestions?
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    do you have any vertex blending in here? it feels like the original looks better than the latest ones. And its hard to get a good look with the small sized images. imageshack seems to not work well for me maybe. Id suggest just have a personal blogg to dump pictures on and link to them there.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @Samfisher84 - Hey sorry about the image size, was trying to have all in one for a better read but it turned out the other way hahaa.

I've re-uploaded in the previous post the images in big size, easier to see :)

Yes, there is vertex painting nearly everywhere, wherever there's moss and sand (pretty much all the architecture bits.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Update!

Got rid of the mud river and went back to “water”, this is a first attempt to it:

waterupdate.jpg

waterupdate2.jpg

I also added a particle effect trying to mimic the particles that appear when a waterfall hits the river beneath it, maybe a bit too exaggerated given this isn’t a proper waterfall?

Thanks!
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That water is looking loads better!
    For the sheer volume of water coming out of the statue I think that the amount of particles looks good.

You might want to tone down the blue a bit and add some animated refraction. There is a 'Distortion' channel in the Material Editor that you could simply plug your Normal map or a Height Map into after multiplying it by something like 5.

You should also check out Hourences Indoor Water Tutorial - a first port of call for any water-obsessed UDKer :D