Home General Discussion

Exciting Game Project - Looking for team members

Forgive me if this doesn't quite fit in this forum but I thought it wasn't quite about freelancing.

I just got an email about a great competition that I'd love to take part it. I'm very excited about it and want to have a crack at it. However, I need 3 team mates. I'm currently scouting around my mates, but thought it was worth posting here for a wider audience.

Here's details on the competition. Let me know if you are interested in getting a team together! I have some ideas on paper already, but need the people to make it happen:

Hi There,

On 7th of May 2012, Virgin Media will launch the ‘100 Day Game Project’ giving young graduate student teams and start-ups the opportunity to develop a game with the support of Abertay University and some of the most experienced names in the gaming industry.

Virgin Media are currently looking for teams of four to enter their mobile game idea on iOS or Android based on innovation, iterative-built design and broad appeal. The winning team will develop the game within 100 days and be hosted across at Abertay University’s Centre of Excellence for Video Games Education and have access to the top gaming facilities with industry experts acting as mentors through the whole process.

The team will stay in a fully-furnished house in Dundee and will have a £250 per person allowance a week. After the 100 days the team will travel to London to develop and launch the final stage of the game over the four days of the Eurogamer Expo. The winning team will benefit from opportunities such as an internship at Eurogamer and they’ll also be able to meet investors at the GamesInvest Expo to further nurture their careers.

Virgin Media are looking to uncover the best young game developing talent Britain has to offer by giving them the chance to create a game through the 100 Day Game Project and showcase their work to millions. The competition is open to teams of four with a brilliant mobile game idea on iOS or Android.

Don't miss this opportunity and start thinking about the idea now, applications open from the 7th to the 27th of May 2012.

We look forward to seeing some entries.

Kind Regards,
The Prototype Team

Replies

• ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    This sounds exactly like Dare to be Digital, except that you have to develop a mobile game. I never liked Dare, their terms and conditions were dubious.
  • gateian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty sure this is something for the good. The University of Dundee are working really hard to generate something good for the mobile game industry by stimulating some growth and a bit of excitement as well.

I personally am looking forward to it. Just gotta find some team members! I think this will be a lot of fun. :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    ambershee wrote: »
    This sounds exactly like Dare to be Digital, except that you have to develop a mobile game. I never liked Dare, their terms and conditions were dubious.

Care to elaborate? Plenty of polycounters including me have done Dare and I have to say it was an amazing experience.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I'm sure the experience was great. The part I've always found disagreeable is where they claim ownership to everything you do whilst you are there.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Thats singularly to make sure a team member doesn't run off with the entirety of the games code, or any other problems with difficulties within the team, and to protect the IP. Once the competition is over, Abertay hand the IP rights back to the team. It's done to protect, not exploit.
  • gateian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's also a great chance to work with top people in the industry, gain experience and get your team ALOT of exposure if it does well, which would be more rewarding down the line than not trying at all. I can only see this as a great opportunity and besides i'm looking at the fun of making a great game together with a fantastic bunch of people, which is more important than the money and success that may come from it.

If anyone has any good ideas on where to find some team members i'm all ears!