Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Katia's Characters

Replies

• marrakech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marrakech polycounter lvl 5
    hi, i don't like this style of characters, personal preference i think.
    Lets talk about form and anatomy. i think u can do much more with Ur characters once u learn more of real form and human anatomy, right now they are puppet like barbie characters.
    Try different face types like native American or indian , african ....
    Appreciate Ur hard wok on the characters and hope u don't mind my critique
  • YBourykina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    Alismuffin: thank you!
    Afisher: thank you! and i completely agree, i had a ton of issues with the hands and the eyes, the eyes are better than what they were before, but they could be better still, hopefully next time around i'll get them perfect, same with the hands, i think i made them too low poly for her so they kept caving in, i'll do much better next time :D
    Hai: thank you so much! yeah i think it's my vray lights and/or maybe my sss shader? i was fighting with it a lot, i'm going to have to be more aware of it next time, thank you for the feedback :)
    Marrakech: i completely agree on the anatomy, i do need to experiment more so i can grow as an artist, so thank you, i'll have to expand on what i sculpt and look at different facial features and body structures ^___^

thank you so much guys!
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good.
    Nothing really to add than Mr Fisher but I am really digging your Amelia Earhart. Puffy sleeves look great so far and I agree, there is something about that bald version that just looks nice. Maybe a new direction, perhaps with just a few tufts of fringe. hmm.... either way great work as usual. Keen to see some more.
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    YBourykina wrote: »
    got all the base clothes stuff done in max and GoZed them into zbrush, i made them a bit more subdiveded than i usually do but it's working out okay so far (trying out new things, base is completely new, tried to match it with my lady m low poly head and better body topology for later) smiley.gif
    i think i might (?) have issues with loops later when i'm low polying the sleeves (so puffy at the elbows) and skinning/rigging, and posing them but i'll deal with that once i get there.
    everything is in progress, not sure about the hair structure, i'll revisit that like 10 more times before i'm done, i'm sure, i kind of like her being a baldy XD
    showdown wip thread

ybourykina_amelia_04.jpg

Sup sup. Love that char, can't wait to see the final version. However there is some small things that are bugging me.

I think her neck might be a little too long, it doesn't really show when you slightly look at it but when you thoroughly look at her, it's showing.
    I think her arms (and more particularly the whole Deltoid/biceps/triceps area) could be a little bigger. I know it might be the shape you wanted, but due to the bulging of her clothes towards her elbow, it makes them looks smaller than they really are.
    Finally, I think the reason why Duncan likes the bald version is that it fits the head. With the hair version, there's something off because you can't feel the weight of the hair on the cap, ie the cap with and without hair are the same, i think it could gain something from being a little bigger to show that she has a mass of hair under. (but then again, duncan might like baldies)

Just muh 2 cents
  • YBourykina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    duncan: thank you so much! :D
    Scythe: haha thank you! those are some great points, i tend to accidentally lengthen necks so i'll go back and shorten it XD
    i'll also rework her arms too, i think that was subconsciously bothering me, but now that you mentioned it, i really see it :D and the cap/hair weight part, that's a really good point, i'm going to get back to her tonight and hopefully the changes i make will get her back into order :)

thank you so much guys! i really appreciate it!
  • YBourykina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    made a new generic female base for my personal projects, i used Amelia's anatomy as my starting point, and then i also tried out new methods of rendering in zbrush, if you haven't used BPR Filters yet, they're pretty neat and you don't need much :)

take a look at that BPR Filters video if you are interested ^_^
    http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/render-properties/

also used Hazardous' method for making eyelashes :)
    http://youtu.be/mqkMaLmIG5w

YBourykina_Base_Anatomy_CloseUp.jpg

YBourykina_Base_Anatomy_TurnArounds_Med.jpg
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Damn, this is awesome! Really great anatomy.Congratulations!:)
  • Elijah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely work, Katia.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I like it a lot. The only thing that kind of sticks out at me is on the first full body image on the left: the muscle on the inside of the legs seems like it's not quite right. Maybe this image can show what I mean:
    leg.gif

Sorry for the bad paintover! It's a really nice and sexy model. :)
  • YBourykina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    OniLolz: thank you so much! :D
    Elijah: thank you Elijah! :)
    Jeremy: thank you! ^_^
    Hai: thank you so much! and i appropriate the paint-over, her legs were bothering me a bit and now i know why, i'll go back and fix them :D
  • YBourykina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    finally got around to finishing up my DS2 fanart of Death :P
    low polies are from Marmoset, and high poly was done in zbrush :)

based on BoBo's sculpt and Joe Mad's original design :)

beauty
    YBourykina_Death_Low_Beautyv3.jpg
    YBourykina_Death_Low_Turnarounds_Med.jpg
    YBourykina_Death_Low_Wires_Med.jpg
    YBourykina_Death_Maps_Med.jpg
    high poly with zbrush's bpr filters again :)
    YBourykina_Death_HighPoly_v2_Med.jpg
    regular high poly :P
    YBourykina_Death_HighPoly_Med.jpg
    base mesh
    YBourykina_Death_Basemesh_Med.jpg

mace from my unfinished DS2 contest i had laying around XD
    YBourykina_DS2_Mace_Low_Turnaround.jpg
    YBourykina_DS2_Mace_Low_Wires.jpg
    YBourykina_DS2_Mace_Low_Wires_Flat.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Great Job man, your high poly work is especially good! My main crit would be I feel that your lighting isn't doing your model and textures justice. It looks very flat to me, and its almost as if your normals are hardly being taken advantage of.

In other words, you could practically get the exact same effect if it were diffuse only because your lighting is so flat. So I would def. take some time to play around with that because I think with very little effort this could look a lot better even.
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nihilus polycounter lvl 8
    Lovely work but +1 to what Brad said.
    I thought it was just hand painted and didnt realise you'd baked maps from a hi-poly aswell until I saw the shots of it.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    Nice work! I really think there are a few things you could do to push this a bit further though. Your sculpt is pretty strong but I think it's missing some chunkyness of the darksiders style. The belts and straps kind of lack thickness on your low poly; adding a bevel to the straps would help get rid of some flatness on the texture. (extra cuts in the low poly geo to help push the silhouette would help too)
    RUbWC.png
    Your texturing on the leather and metal look great but I think deaths skin could use some tweaking. If you look closely at the ingame model Death actually has a lot of saturation in his skin, and the specular really help brings out other tones. I think you could paint some purples greens blues and pinks into your spec.
    On the diffuse of his skin, the darks and lights are really contrasty, and all of the shadows and light areas have the same amount of contrast throughout. I think you could lighten up some of the darks, to help drive attention up to his face, lightening up the parts on his pecs and shoulders but keeping some of that dark contrast around the clavicles and under the arms on the side of the ribcage.
    One more thing; :3 I think the tension on the folds of the boots could take another pass, it almost seems as the cloth is melting into the straps. Also I agree about the lighting.

Sorry that was a bit long winded, hope it helps!
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Great job Kat',though I feel your unwrap could deserve more love.

Keep up the badassery
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Dang, this is cool. There's one or two things that have been mentioned by daphz that I echo and one more thing that I think is probably too late now, unless your willing to go back a bit.

pSrH3.png

I reckon the silhouette could be improved if you include more of the clunky jagged features from the Joe Mad concept. Because at the moment it's quite smooth.

Also the markings on his shoulders in the game version they are a purple-ish blue colour and in the concept by Joe Mad; it's blood red. Were you thinking of including it?

Great work so far Katia though. I'm off to play me some DS2!
  • TaylorMouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TaylorMouse polycounter lvl 10
    finally got around to finishing up my DS2 fanart of Death :P
    low polies are from Marmoset, and high poly was done in zbrush :)

based on BoBo's sculpt and Joe Mad's original design :)

beauty
    YBourykina_Death_Low_Beautyv3.jpg
    YBourykina_Death_Low_Turnarounds_Med.jpg
    YBourykina_Death_Low_Wires_Med.jpg
    YBourykina_Death_Maps_Med.jpg
    high poly with zbrush's bpr filters again :)
    YBourykina_Death_HighPoly_v2_Med.jpg
    regular high poly :P
    YBourykina_Death_HighPoly_Med.jpg
    base mesh
    YBourykina_Death_Basemesh_Med.jpg

mace from my unfinished DS2 contest i had laying around XD
    YBourykina_DS2_Mace_Low_Turnaround.jpg
    YBourykina_DS2_Mace_Low_Wires.jpg
    YBourykina_DS2_Mace_Low_Wires_Flat.jpg

I love this! I really enjoyed Darksiders,

just one remark, Death's upper arms, tri-ceps & bi-ceps are thinner, and his skin has more "green"

T.
  • Eithne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eithne polycounter lvl 7
    Love it!!! Great model! :D
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Katia... Just wanted to say keep up the awesome work! You are really going to make it as a character artist through dedication and hard work.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    I feel death's spec map could to with a bit more love, looks like it's just a higher contrast version of the diffuse and doesn't really seem to have much of an impact, what's your gloss map like?

I think it'd really help push it further if you went back and adjusted each element of the spec map to reflect their relevant materials, for example the metals could really do with being darker in the diffuse and would benefit from a slight blue tint in the spec. Just feel it needs some dedicated work on each of the materials beyond what you have at the moment.

And I too have to second what daphz said about the boots, and what Brad has said about the lighting setup, I don't think that's doing you any favors either.

The head also seems a little too small to me, although looking at the concept maybe the neck is too short? Not sure, might just be the scale of the head of the mace in the beauty shot throwing me off :P

It's almost there though, looking good.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    What JJ said! Keep it up! :)
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14

YBourykina_Base_Anatomy_TurnArounds_Med.jpg

Really, really digging those hips. That's going in my inspiration folder. Looks great, Kat! :)