Home General Discussion

Recreating Riven?

Vio
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Vio polycounter lvl 6
http://www.mysterium.ch/riven/pictures/riven_05.jpg

I wanted everyone's advice on this for a project on basically if anyone thinks its worth it. The reason I want to redo at least 1 island in unreal is that these games to me were what I kind of grew up playing. Even today I think the environments in those games are the most beautiful fictional environments I have ever seen.

Because a lot of these games popped up in the 90's they were generally always point and click adventures which made it for me incredibly frustrating that you couldn't explore everything you wanted to.
I always wanted to go inside those strange dome houses and just explore everywhere instead of essentially just looking at a pre-rendered picture.

I'v seen engine revivals of the islands done before, there was Myst 3d in 2001 and various artists have attempted the first island in unreal. Problem is they are all terrible looking revivals in my opinion.

But anyway here's the crunch, I'm about to graduate so really I should be working on getting as much good stuff in my portfolio as possible, re-creating an island from Myst could take a long time but also, I'm not sure about the ethics, people say its just a cop out to re-create what others have done before so I couldn't really put it in my portfolio?

So should I just put this on the back burn as a hobby to do in the future maybe after I have found a job? Its a shame the official Myst 3d was done too early lol.

Replies

• Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see nothing wrong with recreating/reimagining characters/locations as long as it's nicely and tastefully done. Only advice I have is to pick location/slice that you know you'll be able to finish&polish really well in a reasonable time.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't see the problem in recreating these. I'd think of this more like a realy detailed concept art, considering that actually nobody has realy recreated these scenes in a serious manner (as far as I'm aware).

I actually thought of something like that, but I'd love to see this done in the way they made it back in the days when the game was new. I'm sure that a nice pre-rendered 3d Dome around you with todays possibilities would look stunning.

On the other hand, thinking about what ridiculously detailed environments I've already seen with UDK, a version running with real time rendered 3d graphics could look pretty amazing too.

I can't give you any advice on whether you should do it now or later as a hobby, but if you'd ask me I'd say go for it. :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Nothing wrong with it imo, but yeah, aim to create something you can actually finish instead of a whole island that will take too long.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with it imo, but yeah, aim to create something you can actually finish instead of a whole island that will take too long.

Yeah well I was thinking just that lagoon in the references. It would make a map probably about the size of the foliage example map in UDK. I can always block things off and go back to them later.

Its such a shame the Miller brothers never went back to it, they were ahead of their time when they did these games, imagine what they could do with today's technology and their amazing ideas. The stars never line up forever I guess lol.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    riven was.. no, is the shiznits.
    bought it for iphone a while back.. Ive also dreamt about making a realtime map of riven or at least in the spirit of the myst games.. but yeah....;P good luck to you though!
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    DO EET!
    I'd really love to see that.

honestly, i have no idea what's studios' stance on using recreated game scenes in portfolio but i've seen lots of environment artists do it.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Remake the transport railing thingy... that was so badass...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Go for it. Breaking down that scene, it doesn't look like a lot of assets. One hut, a walkway set, rock, sky and water. My only concern is it's very brown.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Do it. Since last year I've been working on recreating a level from an old 2D SNES game because of the same reasons as you. I also believe there are a lot of fans that want to see it and I wanna be that person who delivers it.

Besides your project seems like it can be done in a reasonable time provided you nail down the art style.
  • Korteenea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Korteenea polycounter lvl 8
    I would love to see something like this! The Myst games (but particularly Riven) are high on my list of all-time favorites... it would be really cool to see it updated to use newer techniques.

Are you familiar with Starry Expanse? http://www.starryexpanse.com/
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Korteenea wrote: »
    I would love to see something like this! The Myst games (but particularly Riven) are high on my list of all-time favorites... it would be really cool to see it updated to use newer techniques.

Are you familiar with Starry Expanse? http://www.starryexpanse.com/

Excellent find Korteenea, thank you very much.

I managed to download riven off steam the other night, sadly I don't have any time to play it right now, got to hand my dissertation in this week :poly122:
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Its pretty amazing to think that you can surpass the quality of riven now at 30fps.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Just for anyone who was interested in this idea before, the WIP thread is now up http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99128

cheers.