Home Technical Talk

Baking overlapping transparent surfaces in 3DS Max

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
Hello! I'm trying to make a game environment run better (mostly not my stuff) and I'm trying to bake a bunch of quite similar bush models to far simpler models. Basically, the artist who made them made 4 quite high poly spheres, applied noise and gave each one a different tiling leaf texture (with all different colours/etc.) and I'm trying to bake this to a much simpler piece of geometry so it isn't 5ktris (10ktris+ for the hanging baskets). Problem I've encountered is that 3DS Max's render to texture seems to capture either the first or last surface it sees (changeable via a radio button) and ignores all the rest meaning it doesn't capture the layers poking through one another, just the top or bottom layer. This means that when I view the resultant texture, it's basically a cylinder of floating leaves.

I really don't have time to be doing all these models again, (got to be scripting and doing other level optimisations to try and get a playable framerate) and as I've already low polied and unwrapped them I don't want to waste the time doing that either.

Any ideas on making Max's Render to Texture capture all of the layers? Thanks.

Max viewport render:
Aq0uI.png

Baked:
R9ku8.png

Replies