Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] SIG 552 Commando Rifle

Hey everyone!

I'm working on the high poly for a SIG 552 rifle. I'm about to wrap things up with it and start the low poly soon, but I'm looking for any feedback before I make that jump. I'm a little wary on how some of this detail is going to bake down, so please share some pointers if you have any! :)

sig552-1.jpg
sig552-2.jpg
sig552-3.jpg

Replies

• megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    sig552-3-4.jpg

sig552_1024.jpg

1- Holes are too small, make it bigger like the reference pictures
    2- This hole should be more "squarish"
    3- There, it shouldn't be flat, there's a tiny slope
    4- Make it sharper
    5- I think the height is too high, , low it down
    6- There's suppose to have a tiny line between them
    7- Make it less curvy

Hope it helps! :)
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    Would you mind posting a close up of the ejection port? It looks a little bit off right now
  • lewist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks megalmann2000! Good feedback, I'm working on these areas right now. For number 6, those ridges I've placed as a floating piece running along the grip. Will that cause problems when it comes time to bake to the low poly? Usually I just stick to using floating geo for smaller details like bolts and such, but I felt that piece was starting to get a little difficult to work with.

Zakhar2, here's a close up shot of the ejection port.

sig552-4.jpg
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah, so if you look at this image you'll notice that the ejection port is actually pretty different from what you have right now.

CtaZl.jpg

Secondly, on your gun the bottom part seems to pop out waaaay too much when compared with this image:

3wsDJ.jpg
  • D.Carmine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yes the Sig 552 Commando. One of my personal favorite guns. Anyway I attached some images of the ejection port. I would shorten the length of your pullback (aka the charging bolt) just a tiny bit.

Here is a link to where I got the images: http://www.pixagogo.com/4723744946

Keep it up!

- D. CarminePhoto.aspx?id=S4Rhu7zOlQV5sFD%21gvcVdTt9lkqCqT3kiV0Kw3a8wG9P3iYvyvMKKie1cIQ%21tzXl-%21Photo.aspx?id=S4dSi4GOC0%21Bqqtj1M2bwULQ-141KAQxyoBYCjPNGPaK7ZBoNkiZYw169uBJTq28ZN
  • pǝlloɹ┴
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What tool did you use for this model??
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    WOW thats really cool!
    I don't understand :( Why cant i never make something so cool like this.
  • lewist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the mesh with all those fixes. Ready to do the low poly now. :)

sig5.jpg

sig6.jpg
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holes on the foregrip looks a bit shallow
  • lewist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I'm currently working on the low poly and I have a fairly general question for you 3D gunsmiths out there. What do you do for the interior of the ejection port and magazine well? I'm assuming you'd want to create some sort of depth to these areas, seeing as they could be visible during animation sequences.
  • lewist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been out of town for a few days and haven't had a chance to work on it as much as I'd like. The gun is currently sitting just below 10k tris. I'm not sure what a good estimate for current-gen weapons are, but I feel like I could trim a lot more.

sig_low1.jpg

sig_low2.jpg

sig_low3.jpg

sig_highlowcompare.jpg

The biggest changes I've made since my last update is adding the internals to the stock (allowing it to fold properly) in both the high and low models. I also topped off the magazine with a couple rounds too. C&C are appreciated! :P
  • D.Carmine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as the tris for the gun goes I would say about half of that if not less (I am thinking 3k-4.5k). It is coming along nicely lewist. Excited to see how it looks when it's done.

- D.Carmine
  • Dnna1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I quite agree to your point of view.
  • lewist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the normal maps right now, but I keep getting these errors in my bakes. Any idea what's causing this? I'm currently baking in xNormal and previewing in Maya's viewport 2.0.

normalErrors1.jpg
  • MagnificentMicrowave
    Does this error also show up in xNormal's preview?
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Have you tried painting out the errors in PS?
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    that could just be a max issue have you tried it in a engine yet?
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    or try spinning them edges
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    D.Carmine wrote: »
    As far as the tris for the gun goes I would say about half of that if not less (I am thinking 3k-4.5k). It is coming along nicely lewist. Excited to see how it looks when it's done.

- D.Carmine

3k for a modern gen game...?

On what, the Nintendo 3DS? Come on man, 10k is pretty spot on for what this does.
  • D.Carmine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium wrote: »
    3k for a modern gen game...?

For whatever reason I thought this weapon would be in a 3rd person shooter. If it was than it should be low. 3rd person games need to be lower because the engine is also rendering a character on screen.

If It is going to be for an FPS than 10k is fine.

- D. Carmine
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    are those faces perfectly flat or match the high poly? I'm not exactly an expert on the matter but it could be one factor causing it, if not you may want to try hardening the inner edge's normals or throwing a control loop in there and see if that fixes it, it'd be better to try and sort it in the low poly rather than have to paint it out, this is looking fantastic by the way
  • lewist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ mazz423 - I doubled checked the meshes and the cage. Everything looks good. I've already got an additional loop running through the area to give some support, but no change. :(

@ dudealan2001 - I chalked this up to a display issue at first. That would have been nice, but I am getting the same error in Marmoset & xNormal's 3d preview.

@ Selaznog - Despite how much I would like to just 'shop it, it's not the right course of action. It will just make more work for every revision or other bad bake.

I did some digging around on this issue. Southpaw Sid was on the money. It seems these X-shaped errors occur when xNormal would split a quad differently than Maya. This is why you would manually triangulate before exporting your mesh. This makes sense - except every time I use a triangulated mesh in xNormal, my normal map comes out looking worse.

Example:

mayaToXNormal.jpg
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    matthewjvia polycounter lvl 13
    Have you tried baking in Maya to see what happens?

Also, if your sure the problem is not from the topology, then try unlocking the normals, average everything, then redo the smoothing groups.

Just as a test, for a small, low poly piece like that, you could just remodel it really quickly and transfer UVs. That would at least show you if the problem is in the model and narrow down the list of suspects.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    In Max, I export my lowpoly meshes to xnormal's SBM format with an Edit Mesh modifier stuck between the Editable Poly and the (Cage) Projection - maybe there's a similar way to triangulate in Maya? Or you could export to FBX, which supports both triangulation and tangent export in its newer versions..
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    This could be a little strange maybe, but wort h a try. Export the quaded version, let XN triangulate it and then import the SBM into maya again?

You could upload a small portion of you mesh and we can try and see if there's problems on our ends to. For example just that one button your showing.