Home General Discussion

Some questions regarding the game Industry

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
choco polycounter lvl 10
Hi there,

I just got myself my first job in the industry and I was wondering how much they pay a 3d environment artist working on UE3.

During the interview I was asked if I had an idea of how much I should be payed.
Having no experience what so ever in the industry, I just replied between 1k to 2k euros as a junior 3d artist.

After a few days of work they decided to place me as the lead environment artist.
I'm about to sign a contract and discuss my job pay regarding the lead position in a few days.

The studio in question is not a AAA, but I'd say something between the indie and AAA.
My job consists of leading the 3d team, keeping in check the assets created by artists (meeting the quality bar) and also creating the main assets for the levels and putting them together in level editor.
I understand that a lead position calls for a lot of responsibility and commitment.

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your safest answer to that question is, "Whatever is competitive for my position". :)
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Not too sure in Euros, but as a lead enviro artist, in pounds sterling you should get between 35k-50k (42k-60k Euros?) a year depending on the studio and your experience I guess. Smaller studios and indies will probably pay less, larger studios more. Your pay may go higher if you've had some impressive experience on high profile projects. Sorry if it's a bit vague.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    1k to 2k euros

i assume thats a massive typo

if this company are promoting you to lead environment artist with only a few days experience in the games industry, it's a very hard one for people other than you to judge without knowing more about the actual company. Sounds like there's an issue somewhere (not reflection on you)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some salary research here, might help you. Salaries vary widely depending on the location.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryGameIndustry#Salary_Research

Sounds like you're being massively underpaid, which is OK for the first industry job, as long as you can afford to live at that rate. Once you start to grow unhappy with the pay, you can use your experience to help land the next job. Changing jobs is the perfect time to negotiate a better rate.

However it looks like you're in a strong spot for negotiation. You're talented, and they really need someone like you. Otherwise they would not have promoted you so quickly.

Just do your research, find out how much Leads make in your general geographic area, vs. how much an entry level artist makes. Divide that in half. Even a bit higher, because you've got a strong portfolio.
  • Trixxster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congratulations on your job Choco. You deserve it.
  • 3DKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKnight polycounter lvl 17
    lead after a few day of work? how large is this company? :/ are you doing purely artistic work or are you optimizing and streaming the level as well? how much techical support do you have in making sure you environments meet the requirements of your budget and platform?

congratulations on the job though! from my experiences 2K euros a month would still be hard to live on, though depends on the remoteness of the area
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Grats dude!

And WHERE is it??? Who's it for?!?!?

:D

Entry level is usually pretty set. There might be a $2500 flexibility, but it's usually very very fixxed.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    ask some from France. Game salaries are totally different in Europe. UK used to be much higher paid than anywhere else on the continent, but cost of living was generally more expensive. Germany used to have quite low salaries with a few exceptions. Scandinavia used the be medium to high due to it generally being more expensive.

I think comparing internationally, even within the EU, will not give you accurate numbers for the country you're in (France, right?)
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    After looking though some information I'd say ask for 3-5k a month, You really are aiming for 4k, based on my estimation from someone's expenses posted on the net was around $3,200 for two people. This is because they boosted you to Lead which pays more than Entry Level.

Best of luck, congrats as well!
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Kwramm wrote: »
    ask some from France. Game salaries are totally different in Europe. UK used to be much higher paid than anywhere else on the continent, but cost of living was generally more expensive. Germany used to have quite low salaries with a few exceptions. Scandinavia used the be medium to high due to it generally being more expensive.

I think comparing internationally, even within the EU, will not give you accurate numbers for the country you're in (France, right?)

Asking other people is a good idea but make sure you ask several people from different companies. Some studios have the bad habit of underpaying people no matter how great they are. Other studios pay their devs a lot more than devs usually get paid.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Congrats on the job, and quick promotion!

For a Junior position, around 2000 euros (brut) is ok, but if they're promoting you to lead right away, depending on the state of the company you should definitely be asking for much more. Don't let them scam you into an important position without proper compensation, you'll regret it later on.
    3500 euros (brut again) should be the minimum I think (and yeah if you can ask around the office that would be nice, but it's not so easy to talk about that at work).

What company is this?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Congrats ! Lead already :o

It really depends of your type of contract and status. Also taxes and stuff vary a lot from country to country + cost of life. I don't know which percentage of taxes an american citizen has to pay, but that would be interesting to know.

Don't want to "spit in the soup" :p, but french companies are few and usually they pay ridiculously compare to the amount of work. Well, i think that's pretty global anyway uh.
    They assume your passionate, but i'm a bit confused by people agreed to be exploited. Some companies worst than other, but i won't name them here.

Anyway.
    1k/month ? wth hell, it wouldn't even be legal. SMIC is at 1400 € so that's the minimum.
    I started a 1700 i think, 6 years ago, for a CDI, "long term contract" where ofc, you're paid a bit less than any other type of contrat and status, but have the guarantee to have a work in the long run. But i'm in a small "serious gaming" company, so my case is a bit different.

Now i'm slightly over 2k for 38h/week + paid overtime, which is a bit more that most of my friends working for (big) game or vfx companies.
    Ask your coworkers, compare the amount of work due to your responsabilities.
  • tupwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats on the job! your work is awesome and what a wonderful position to be in! Hope you get treated well on the Salary front.
  • LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    Congratz man, what studio are you at?
    I read an article about salaries in the US,
    there it depended more on how many years experience you had,
    if you're a lead you got a little more but not so much if you hadn't six years of experience, after that it goes way up.
    Saw a job advertise for Environment Artist with a pay of £25k - £40 a year,
    So for a lead in a smaller company somwhere in between that maybe?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Congratulations on the gig :D

Its always suspect to me when a company makes someone so green to the business a lead of any sort. This is in no way a critique of your ability as an artist, you're certainly a fantastic one. But there is something to be said about being given a position of leadership with such inexperience.

Food for thought.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats! Its great to see threads like this!

It does seem a little weird that they would hire you as a Jr and then bump you up to lead? Maybe there is more to the story but why not hire you into the lead position? Anywho... Congrats!
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    That is exactly what happened at Netdevil in CO. They kept hiring students and inexperienced people as their leads and seniors, then they died. I watched the whole thing fall apart. Be wary!! Congrats anyways, its great to hear about your job.
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    in my country I could get maximum of 600€-700€