Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Oil Rig Observation Outpost

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
Hi all!
This is a scene I started working on last week and have been working on during evenings here and there.

I got really inspired by Tor Frick's lab scene and the way he did it, so I thought I'd give that workflow a shot.

There aren't any real concepts for the scene, and I'm making it up as I go.
I've got my mass effect 1 art book lying next to me, so if you recognize any props, that's probably why. :)

The theme I'm going for is some sort of an observation/intelligence/communications outpost on an oilrig 50-100 years from now.

So far I've laid out the basic shapes and a few props.
The materials are still being heavily worked on.
I'm using a 256x512 for the scene.

I guess it's about time to call it done now. :)

LATEST:

Flythrough
[vv]42336299[/vv]

YXizQ.jpg

pmoKz.jpg

WNjJF.jpg

ffIjM.jpg

Please let me know what you think!

QUICK BREAKDOWN:

Alright, I thought I'd make a quick breakdown of my workflow, and my thoughts on the project. What I've learned and what I could've done differently.

First of all I'd like to thank Tor "Snefer" Frick for inspiration and valuable guidance throughout the project. Huge thanks!
You can check out his thread here if you already haven't: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89682

The first thing I did was to create a basic texture with bevels, trims, bolts, vents and things that I felt were going to be used frequently.
After that I started creating the material.

This was the most challenging part of the project. I got a working material up quickly that had all the features I needed except for one. And that was the ability to choose accent color and base color. Tor had a really clever solution to this, which I failed to implement.
Instead I came up with my own, which works pretty well! However, it uses an additional UV set, increasing the cost of the meshes. This is what I mainly feel I could've done better.
However, using my technique I could add a whole bunch of different accent colors in the same material by simply placing the UV shells on a designated grey square in my texture.
I ended up using just one for this project, but if I ever use this material again, I'll definitely try and utilize it to its fullest.

A quick run-down of the material and my workflow with it

UV1 was used for the normal map detail and ambient occlusion.
UV2 was used to apply decals.
UV3 was used to assign accent colors.
UV4 was used for Light Maps and the tiling noise texture.

Next up was designing the level. This also turned out rather challenging, causing me to start over from scratch a few times until I found a look that I liked and that felt different enough from Tor's.
I got a lot of inspiration from old Streamliners and luxury cruisers, as well as from Deus Ex, Mirror's Edge and Mass Effect.

Once I had the design, shapes and lighting set the rest was pretty straight forward. It was basicly just a matter of populating the scene and getting the scale to feel right.

Again, thank you Tor and Polycount! This has been a very, very educational process!

(I will try and get a quick video run-through on my workflow up this weekend.)

Cheers!

Replies