Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] UDK Shack

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
A while back, I got the idea of making a shack made up of different pieces, instead of all of them as one piece in Maya/Max. So, I modeled a few different pieces of metal siding, plywood, and particleboard. I also have some decorative pieces, like cans, bottles, a bucket, a tire, a tub(hoping to do a material animation of the dirty water).

I'm want to make this a portfolio piece. I was about 80% done before a UDK update corrupted my package file, so I decided I'd restart and get input from you guys. I'll try my best to work on it as much as possible and update frequently.

To start off, I have this shot from UDK with some of the meshes applied. I created multiple variations of particle board and metal siding materials, so it won't be so repetitive. I'm also removing the BSP block once I'm done applying the meshes.

Untitled-1.jpg

Also, I tried out Marmoset tonight. Such a cool program! Here is one combination of mesh/textures

tumblr_m2egyl18741qhgknqo1_1280.png

Crit away :)

Replies

• Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooo thats a very nice metal sheet there. Ive been thinking of trying marmoset lately. Cant wait to see the rest of the scene
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    How does youre texture sheet/s look like?
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooo thats a very nice metal sheet there. Ive been thinking of trying marmoset lately. Cant wait to see the rest of the scene

Thanks! I won't lie though, Marmoset makes it look so much better than UDK :\ You should definitely give it a try. I just wish I had a good high-poly model to show off in it.

How does youre texture sheet/s look like?

I'll post a picture of my diffuse/normal/spec soon.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a combination of diffuse, normal, and spec maps I made based on one of my other metal siding meshes. I actually used these textures on a different version of metal siding though. I don't think it's really noticeable, so I might mix them up even more.

forpolycount.png

I also have a question. I'm trying to do this with an engine in mind, so I'm trying to keep my poly count low, baking high poly normals, and not using absurd sizes for textures. Some of my models have a lot of UV space left and since I'm trying to keep things optimized, would it be a good idea(considering this is a portfolio piece) to go back and put multiple models on one uv sheet? Do companies really look at that as a serious thing, or will my texturing/modeling skills be more important?
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little bit more progress. I set up the other materials and added a few things. Ignore the horrible lighting. Not sure why I'm getting a bunch of weird shadows. I'm not really set on what type of lighting I want anyway.

adada.jpg

I also did a quick paintover for some ideas I had.

pcpaintover.jpg

I really liked the ambient light in MW3's Village(around the market) where the light coming through the plastic was colored. I want to replicate it with the blue tarp, if possible with my lighting.

I thought of having some sort of rug for the door, hopefully swaying back and forth.

Definitely needs to be littered. I already have bottles and cans made, but I think I need some decals of other trash.

And I just thought of this while I was working. I'd like to set up a little scene on the right where two people might have been playing checkers. Build up a table stand with tires and particle board, throw some cans in there, and some plastic chairs(if I can figure out how to model them).
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been awhile since I worked on this. School work is getting in the way of portfolio work! I'm trying to get the lighting right so I can figure out what to fix texture wise. I like how it is now, but I think I might have to give some of my spec maps more white, since they kind of look pretty flat, especially for metal.

I also resized the meshes used for the shack. I wasn't liking a bunch of small pieces. I think fewer larger pieces looks better.

Front
    front.jpg
    Back
    back.jpg

Still to come:
    - Material for the plastic tub
    - Finish adding the meshes around the block(then remove the block)
    - More trash meshes/decals
    - Checkerboard table and plastic chairs
    - Rug for the door
    - Ground texture and grass models

I think whenever I have some more free time to really work on something big, I'm gonna try to work on the ground textures and learn vertex painting. So, what do you guys think? Lighting good or bad now?
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quick update with the checkerboard.

screenshot4.jpg

Default Marmoset settings, with one light. I need to fix my spec though, it looks like plastic when the light is close.