Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Yury Uvarov - 3D Modeler / Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Yury polycounter lvl 8
Hey, everyone!

I've recently graduated from college and currently looking for a job. It's a new field for me so I would appreciate any feedback on my portfolio that I have right now.

Please feel free to look at it here http://yuryuvarov.carbonmade.com/

Thank you!

Replies

• GOBEE
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good man. Simple. Straight to your best work. Best work being the Starship Control Room. Nothing that hasn't been done before, but you should definitely send your portfolio to Bioware, Bungie, 343 etc. if Sci-Fi is where you feel comfortable.

I would toss your Medieval Art Set piece. It's not needed.

Also, consider re-texuring your Mandalorian Sniper Rifle. It has a 2K texture applied and it doesn't look like much of it was used to bring out any details.

The 2D art pieces is nice to show you can do 2D as well, but not sure it's doing you any favors. At least choose one (either red or green), not both. Red looks better IMO.

Good luck man! It's a tough industry to break into and even tougher staying in it. Your Orca Helicopter made me laugh by the way. I'd love seeing that thing flying above me.
  • respawnrt
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Hi, i really like your star wars env.Great stuff.Now on the other hand i feel your heli and rifle are dragging you down.It seems to me the texturing on rifle is not that great, and the shading on
    heli is again not that great but looks ok as diffuse .
    The car looks nice other than some inaccurate parts.Now i just looked a bit on photos and please tell me if i am wrong or not.
    https://imgur.com/5icrX
  • Yury
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks, GOBEE! Yeah, Sci-Fi is my favorite setting, but I also don't mind doing fantasy or medieval stuff or modern era :) Mandalorian riffle was one of my earliest projects so ye, texturing isn't great. Need to retexture it definitely

respawnrt, you are right, there is some inaccurate parts indeed. Have to fix it. Thank you for the feedback! :)
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    there's something about ferrari's materials or render style that makes it feel kinda like a plastic toy rather than real car. not sure what is it but that's the vibe i get.

water heater - overall looks good but there's lots of small details that could use more work.
    certain parts seem to have stretched uvw, elements sticking to each other miss a thin line of dirt around places where they connect, level of dirt seems inconsistent.

2D - i agree that it doesn't look like it would help getting a job.

medieval set - it could use some shots of assets from up close. it's hard to see models quality from this distance.
  • Yury
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you for the feedback, Blaisoid! Ferrari was my first rendering experience using mental ray, so it's not that great yes. There's a lot to improve in the render. As for water heare I know I need to polish my unwrapping and texturing skills for sure :icon15:
  • DudeinCA
    I really like how you put the logo of the programs you used to create the model/scene in the thumbnail on the homepage.
  • Yury
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8