Home Unreal Engine

Landscape Mat borked

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Norron polycounter lvl 13
This landscape material I'm trying to work on just doesn't work at all. I think I set it up correctly from following Swizzle's guide but I'm at a loss now. I also have 2 properly named layers set up in my landscape but the material can't be applied anyhow.

Help would be much appreciated.

snvuT.jpg

Replies

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    How is it showing up in your window? Blue checkboard, black, etc? Your material looks good as far as I can tell. Another thing is the layer names are case sensitive so make sure your Snow and Rock layers are exactly the same between the landscape editor and the material you're using. Also, typically I make sure they're in the same order in the Landscape edit list as well.

Also, this is really stupid to ask but just so the base is covered, have you ensured that you have the material properly applied within the "Landscape Material" slot within your landscapes properties?
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The material shows up black and I'm fairly sure the naming and ordering is all the same between the mat and the landscape.

I can't even apply the material to the landscape at the moment, when I try to do so it leaves the material slot empty and does nothing.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I'm not sure why it would not be loading the material at all, however have you tried painting the weight map info on your landscape at all? When we were testing landscapes at work I found that when I applied my material it turned it black. However as soon as I tried to adjust the weight values it snapped all the color and updated fine. Now I know the material isn't loading but maybe this could kickstart some feature into working properly? I'll take a look at Swizzle's guide and see if I can find out anything.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's worth a shot. I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Thanks man.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I looked over his thread and it had some solid information. The only other thing I can think of right away would be to create a new material and start with only your basic diffuse map. No spec or normals and save it out (as well as the package). If you can get a basic material from a saved package to load, then you can add to it and edit it from there. The package needs to be saved so it knows how to pull it.

Also, is your package (.upk) located in your content folder? I have found that UDK sometimes has trouble loading items that are not located within the UDKGame\Content\ directory of the UDK version you're working from. If you're pulling it from My Documents or something that could also be an issue perhaps. Also, make sure that you have "Fully Loaded" the package the material is found in.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no idea what I did differently but applying the material to the landscape worked this time. I have achieved snow!

Many thanks for the help.