Home General Discussion

FOX News anti game industry rhetoric returns

Vio
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Vio polycounter lvl 6
As someone from the UK its always a total shock to see what our friends over the pond have to put up with in regards to Fox News. Every now and then I will see some youtube video of a show on Fox News where they are debating "Evil and violent video games".

Its always a whole panel of people who are against games with maybe one person from the industry on video link having to defend creativity against a biased wall of negativity. They just want to divert attention and blame from the inevitable homicides that come with relaxed gun laws.

Now today I find they are having ago again regarding Mass Effect 3 just because it has a gay character which their friends/bankroller say "sets a bad example".

Its an opinion I have, not a political one, I just think Fox News are ignorant and I dunno how people can stand non objective news. At the end of the day I guess they are kind of doing us a favour by giving titles air time anyway :)

Replies

• J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Without going into too much political detail, yeah, Fox News does this kind of scare tactic thing almost daily. I'd like to think most people see it for the farce that it is, but I'm not that stupid. They'll forget about it tomorrow.
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    Do you have a link to the video/article in question?
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Fox New's demographic tend to be older, republican, religious, white people. Which tend to get scared easily..and i think want to get scared easily? So of course they are gonna watch a channel that tells them what to be afraid of. And videogames and gay people are two things they are afraid of.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's a video tabloid for old people - like the Daily Mail
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    J0NNYquid wrote: »
    Without going into too much political detail, yeah, Fox News does this kind of scare tactic thing almost daily. I'd like to think most people see it for the farce that it is, but I'm not that stupid. They'll forget about it tomorrow.

Sorry I wasn't clear in my first post. The first part is what happened on fox news the second is what I assumed was connected with their whole movement, its all over youtube if you type fox news video games for example.

The second part I should probably stand slightly corrected in that its probably generalising for me to associate Fox news with all right wing Christian activists, in this case known as the Florida family association who complained because the game has gay characters which they claim sets a bad example http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/324630/20120405/mass-effect-3-gay-romance-options-ea.htm.
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    So if I'm reading that correctly, they didn't do a piece on this? I did Youtube it and all I got was a bunch of stuff relating to the first Mass Effect controversy. A quick glance of FOX news' website didn't yield anything either.

Are the two paragraphs from your first post referring to the mass effect one fiasco, and the second two paragraphs referring to the family association?
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I've always loved, and found fascinating, American news organisations. Started watching Fox News regularly while studying politics (had a few American modules) and just love it. All of this, however, is in the context that it's not my actual source of news. I would be kinda pissed if it was my only source of news television. So much misinformation and bias reporting - not that we don't have that here in the UK... but man.

Which is why it worries me when the BBC director general wants UK broadcasters to be freed from regulated impartiality practices. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/17/mark-thompson-bbc-fox-news)
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gotta love fox lol, always good for a laugh
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    actually the true winner in this post is FOX NEWS ! not only are they the most popular news station in the USA but now scores of unwashed downtrodden media consumers from the UK and around the world eagerly await there dose of snippets from you-tube. no longer content with the mind numbing lobotomy of the BBC they scour the internet in search of even more horrendous forms of cruel and unusual punishment to inflict on themselves...

there is little doubt that given the enormous interest and popularity of FOX NEWS amoung the UK public that FOX NEWS UK!!! is in preparation at this very moment! so pat yourself on the back with out your support, viewership, and advertizements such as this thread F.N.U.K would not have been possible.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley wrote: »
    IWhich is why it worries me when the BBC director general wants UK broadcasters to be freed from regulated impartiality practices. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/17/mark-thompson-bbc-fox-news)

actually the BBC is just as factually incorrect and prone to propaganda as fox news is. they just cater to a different sensibility. there is still a unifying underline national consensus on certain issues among the elite which keeps the media rather dull. and the organ itself is state owned. the US however has no national press it is privately owned and there are very large competing interests among the elite. that gives rise to the crazy press in the US.

i gave up on television. i have no time to be brainwashed by fools.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to admit that I was kinda surprised to hear this guy saying "my husband". But as a friendly, understandable, human being, I accepted it. :)

I realy don't get why seemingly everyone in the USA gets butthurt about every little thing, what's up with that?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    All news is biased.

I never could understand the arguments against violent video games, saying they cause violence. I've played Doom and Mortal Kombat, literally, since I was 3 or 4. And I cried once killing a spider.
    If people want to be violent, they will be. I don't think Video Games are to blame.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Joopson wrote: »
    All news is biased.

The major news networks in the US are particularly bad because of market-driven news cycles and the networks efforts to appeal to an increasingly divided political spectrum.

There are legitimate, important news stories Fox covers well that the other networks have at best refused to touch - first to mind is the gun-smuggling conspiracy that is currently crashing down on the Dept. of Justice. Fox has been dogging that hard and actually doing some digging... the other networks have either been ignoring it completely or releasing DOJ press releases as "reporting", completely blithe to the fact (or complicit in doing so) that the press releases are part and parcel of the coverup that's being torn into by the House Oversight Committee.

On the other hand, Fox was the last place I'd expect to get impartial coverage of anything during the Bush years. They sure didn't care much about Valerie Plame, the DOJ Attorney firings, or pretty much anything else that reflected badly on POTUS 43 or his cronies.

And then you have NPR, which is supposed to be impartial by not being beholden to advertisers, yet is apparently staffed at the top levels by people that end up resigning when political extremist and racist ideological rants they went off on leak out to the public. Yay.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Upon further inspection, it sounds like your doing a bit of trolling. There hasn't been any specific Fox News video game outrage lately.

There have been stories of conservative christian groups getting all fussy about companies supporting gay rights but that usually gets squashed by an outpouring of support from the general public. That's what the recent ME & SWTOR thing were about.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Games are violent > Broadcasting a war on terror.

3cd8a33a.png?1306264975
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    gray wrote: »
    actually the BBC is just as factually incorrect and prone to propaganda as fox news is. they just cater to a different sensibility. there is still a unifying underline national consensus on certain issues among the elite which keeps the media rather dull. and the organ itself is state owned. the US however has no national press it is privately owned and there are very large competing interests among the elite. that gives rise to the crazy press in the US.

i gave up on television. i have no time to be brainwashed by fools.

Yeah I do agree that the BBC is pretty bias at times, just in a different way. It's not as overtly bias as Fox News obviously - and thankfully there are a few checks and balances at the Beeb that most companies don't have. However, like you said, it still is skewed. The aftermath of the Iraq war and the reporting of all the enquires displays that pretty clearly.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    EDIT: It's too early in the morning to comprehend wtf this thread is actually about, thus I don't even know what my response is. Just... pick your poison...
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    I watch both Faux News and the Communist News Network(CNN) with a bit of skepticism. Reality is somewhere between the bias of the Left and Right. I just try to keep my BS meter calibrated.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I watch Colbert and Stewart for my news.

The satire seems to make it much more accurate IMHO.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Why do we even have this thread? Any community/person worth their weight in self-respect wouldn't even bother talking about Fox News unless they bring up a comment that might hold a grain of truth.
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The best Fox news moment was when they accused Maxis of pushing an environmentalist agenda with Sim City. Gotta find that clip again when I get home from school.
  • passerby
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Yes, the majority of us are well aware FOX News is ridiculous. I don't think anyone here takes it seriously except the old and dying republicans of yesteryear. Sadly, as JacqueChoi pointed out, our comedians often do a better job.