Home General Discussion

Is there a safe gimpShop link?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
claydough polycounter lvl 10
Downloaded gimpShop and got an adware warning.

Further reading turned up the following from wikipedia?
Unfortunately, due to pending concerns over rights to the GIMPshop name, and a dispute with the individual who purchased the gimpshop.com domain, plans for an update are on hold. As explained by Moschella:
Not more than a few days after the OS X version was released and spread virally, someone who isn't me bought "Gimpshop.com", put up a site with hot-links to the files on my site and began advertising - LOTS of advertising. Soon, there were donate buttons, my name in the site's title and much more - making it look like my website. I asked that the owner stop hot-linking my files (and draining my bandwidth), so he hosted them somewhere else. I questioned his motives and he said he was just a fan and that the site was a "fan-site". It has been five years, the software has stagnated (due in no small part to my becoming discouraged by this one profiteer who trumped me, stole much of my traffic and bumped my site down to the second result when you search for "Gimpshop"). I assumed the guy would just give it up as I sadly let the project stagnate, but that hasn't happened
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMPshop
I tried the original authors blog link in the wiki article but got a 403.

Does anyone know if a safe link exists?

In general I wanted to explore options to Photoshop.
Anyone know of a non linear nodal tree compositing application that could be alternatively used as a graphics application? ( good brushes/brushing and powerful lasso? )
( when Shake introduced brushes, I always assumed that someday it would be possible to just use it as a powerful non linear photoshop replacement. Never followed up after Apple bought it )

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WTF is a "non linear nodal tree compositing application"?
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    Ya I'm lost to that one...

cnet/softpedia are pretty good archives for this kind of stuff

http://download.cnet.com/GIMPshop/3000-2192_4-10650582.html
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    EarthQuake wrote: »

A node based compositor like Nuke or digital fusion I guess, dont know how that relates to gimpshop though.

Claydough: Gimpshop was never that great TBH, I'd just stick with GIMP, atleast your getting the latest builds.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »

Now that After Effects is also offering a non linear workflow with a nodal tree gui...
    is there any Compositing application that is not a "non linear nodal tree compositing application"?
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »

A node based compositor like Nuke or digital fusion I guess, dont know how that relates to gimpshop though.

it doesn't other then:
    In general I wanted to explore options to Photoshop.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »

Claydough: Gimpshop was never that great TBH, I'd just stick with GIMP, atleast your getting the latest builds.

Yep? Researching more it sounds like the original gimp devs distanced themselves from gimpShop cuz they did not like the hack they used to hook up the interface.
    I don't think I will even bother.
    I fired up gimp, I guess it would do if I had no other option. Not immediatley intuitive to me so far :(

claydough wrote: »
    Now that After Effects is also offering a non linear workflow with a nodal tree gui...
    is there any Compositing application that is not a "non linear nodal tree compositing application"?

A friend informs me that After Effects actually has nerfed node tree functionality.
    ( it is diagnostic/schematic without non linear functionality )?
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Last time I tried Gimp Shop, it was exactly like the Gimp but with a pretentious background window that didn't even contain the others. Seemed like a hasty coder rush to say "Yes there is a photoshop on linux! See!!"
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the normal gimp has a single window mode now. which was the main reason for gimp shop. i would stick with the regular gimp. they have picked up development recently and at least are claiming they are working on 32 bit floating image support and hardware acceleration. altho i would not hold my breath for that given there track record for the last few years.

http://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.7.html
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah GIMP 2.8 is nearing completion millimeter by millimeter (RC1 is out).

There's also Pixlr and Sumo Paint.

As far as "node-based"... maybe Aviary Effects Editor is what you're after?

Non-Chrome web app versions:
    Pixlr
    Sumo Paint
    Aviary Effects Editor
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Apuna wrote: »

There's also Pixlr and Sumo Paint.

As far as "node-based"... maybe Aviary Effects Editor is what you're after?

Non-Chrome web app versions:
    Pixlr
    Sumo Paint
    Aviary Effects Editor

Thanks, Aviary sounded promising but the original link I had pointed to a dead website. However, I had a horrible experience with every alterantive alley I have tried
    ( sans the graphic apps I already use and love ).
    Not that there were not promising bits and pieces. If I could not afford a new Photoshop upgrade I could survive. I think I was just disgruntled at the beta 6 release of Photoshop. I guess after 18 years of Photoshopin' I am just married to her now.
    Still...
    I imagine Photoshop is what gave/gives Adobe the kind of muscle to buy Macromedia for 1 Billion dollars?
    You would think that any application that represents that lucrative of a cash cow would easily have serious competition featuring new paradigms "not" available in Photoshop conversly I would think that the Photoshop clones would be much closer in functionality? :(

I just did some illustration painting ( which I rarely have time fer ) in the Photoshop beta and I have to admit that I loved every minute. ( just because I could practically proceed with my eyes closed, and I think having a really beefy system helps )
    Particularly fast ssd, large fast ram and lots of threads.
  • andyadams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am a desinger of isbn barcode of barcode generator.I used to use gimpshop to do my work.But i found there was some problems.

Do NOT install this software. It's full of BLOATWARE. You go through four screens of what you think are ""accept terms of service"", when in actuality you are accepting to download the bloatware. The right button is clearly visible ""ACCEPT"" while the left button ""do not accept"" is hidden in shaded grey. Makes it appear as though you will be refused to download the software. It's all bloatware even if you deny everything and complete installation. I have Windows 7. I've had to buy a program to remove several of the bloatwares hidden but still activate. Also, Malwarebytes has quarantined numerous threats.
  • Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    gray wrote: »
    the normal gimp has a single window mode now. which was the main reason for gimp shop. i would stick with the regular gimp. they have picked up development recently and at least are claiming they are working on 32 bit floating image support and hardware acceleration. altho i would not hold my breath for that given there track record for the last few years.

http://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.7.html

Not only claims, higher bit depths have been in the development version since some time ago. From what I read, the remaining effort is to get the official plugins ported to the new internal engine. Hardware acceleration is also coming, but as usual with the GIMP project, it does take time.
    http://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Hacking:Porting_filters_to_GEGL

For testing, there are automated development builds available at http://nightly.darkrefraction.com/gimp/
    Ben Apuna wrote:

This is from 2012, GIMP 2.8 was already released. Current development version is 2.9 which will become 2.10 once it goes official (odd numbers are dev versions, even are releases). It's getting there, but there's no word yet on how close to release it currently is.