Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] River Shack

Hey everyone,

This is my first time sharing any art work on here. Exciting stuff.

Anyway, I'm working on the following piece for my class. I have to model everything myself, so no Speed Tree or default UDK foliage.

This is representative of about 3 or 4 days work so far between classes. Screenshots taken from Marmoset.

LATEST UPDATE
WIP in UDK
rivershack_udk_wip03.jpg

Latest Render in Marmoset
rivershack_wip01.jpg
rivershack_foliage_wip.jpg

rivershack_assets01.jpg

Thanks a lot for any comments and crits!

Replies

• TheGoozah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking fine!! Keep going!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Which one will show your final scene?

Choose that one and post up an higher rez image, I think the wood's specular might be breaking the feel of the material, but cannot be sure (at least the one in UDK).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 9
    did you follow a tut for the water? if so can you post a link ^_^
  • MooseCommander
    I followed a few different tutorials and tweaked everything to make it work together.

I'll be making a video tutorial on how I achieved the water for later on. I'm planning on doing some vertex painting with it as well to achieve some cool effects, so it should be fun to show off when its 100% complete! :)
  • chazzur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree the water is on point. Looking forward to seeing the tutorial.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what setting are you using in maramoset to get that feel?
  • MooseCommander
    I use the Polaroid preset under the Render tab and then do some adjustments, like turning down Chromatic Abrasion and upping the sharpness a tad. I typically just use the Daylight setting for lighting and then make adjustments to the brightness and rotation as necessary.
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walkonsky polycounter lvl 11
    looks great! reminds me of this one: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93856

maybe you should take another look at your barrel there. you could probably do the opening as a floater (with less sides then you have at the moment) and loose many of those tris on the top side of the barrel itself...
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks moose, i like that look
  • MooseCommander
    Here's a quick update. I started working on the foliage following Damian Lazarski's awesome tutorial over at 3dmotive. I also spent quite a long time staring at the UDK default foliage models and seeing how those were set up. I've never done any foliage before, so this was an exciting first attempt!

Any feedback to help me improve my models or textures for the foliage would be great.
    walkonsky wrote: »
    looks great! reminds me of this one: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93856

maybe you should take another look at your barrel there. you could probably do the opening as a floater (with less sides then you have at the moment) and loose many of those tris on the top side of the barrel itself...

You're absolutely right about the barrel. I hadn't seen that other thread before, so its interesting to see something comparable. Certainly gives me some thoughts on how I can improve a few things.
    nick2730 wrote: »
    thanks moose, i like that look

Of course! I also mess around with a lot of the default settings for the Polaroid look, such as the contrast, master brightness, etc. I definitely think its the best looking post process effect they have in there.
  • MooseCommander
    Quick update, got my foliage working in UDK and took out the default UDK assets. Will start working on some tree and bush cards for the distance, as well as working on a larger landscape following choco's tutorial in the near future.

rivershack_udk_wip02.jpg

I really worked on changing up the water shader. I wasn't super happy with how it was before. I wrote a new shader from scratch, but I'm not convinced its perfect either. I think I'm going to compare the two shaders and look at what they do well and figure out a way to combine the two to get the look I'm going for.
  • MooseCommander
    Quick update - continuing some modeling work today, and then I'll probably switch gears and work on the landscape for the second half of the day. I'm working on trying to get a nice texture for the tin roof panes, which has been a pain. *Insert rim shot noise* As always, please leave comments and crits, and have a great Easter weekend!

rivershack_wip02.jpg
  • MooseCommander
    Quick update. I put in a custom LUT and changed some of the landscape, got the newest models in as well. Slowly getting there - hope to be done in the next week or so.

rivershack_4_16.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    Let's get something off in the distance for more atmosphere. Mountains in the background perhaps? Ruins? IDK, just a thought I had. Looking nice though.
  • MooseCommander
    Definitely! Thanks for the feedback! :) I've been following choco's tutorial and should it in the background soon. I'm still mostly focusing on modeling assets and bringing them into UDK, so the UDK stuff so far is just testing the assets in-engine, as well as my experiments with making water.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I don't know if you're going for realistic or cartoony, you end up somewhere in between with this. Mainly the shapes of the building and the bridge.

You need to create bushes to help the density of the scene, scale the trees a bit different and have more variations by just tweaking the low-poly model to different heights and bends.
    The waterline needs to be broken up with like bigger rocks and smaller riverrocks, maybe some water plants as well.

When propping out the scene you might want to think what they're doing there, might just be a stop for other smaller boats going down the river. But maybe put in some proper roads with some fencing. :) And get some more colors in there, like boats with different color-variations.

Really nice work so far :)
  • MooseCommander
    I don't know if you're going for realistic or cartoony, you end up somewhere in between with this. Mainly the shapes of the building and the bridge.

You need to create bushes to help the density of the scene, scale the trees a bit different and have more variations by just tweaking the low-poly model to different heights and bends.
    The waterline needs to be broken up with like bigger rocks and smaller riverrocks, maybe some water plants as well.

When propping out the scene you might want to think what they're doing there, might just be a stop for other smaller boats going down the river. But maybe put in some proper roads with some fencing. :) And get some more colors in there, like boats with different color-variations.

Really nice work so far :)

Thanks a lot Chris, I was really hoping you would post on here! Your work is amazing and is a constant source of inspiration.

I'm going for a bit of surrealistic look - its not supposed to be 100% realistic, and yes, its definitely a little bit more "cartoony" than I may be aiming for. I do need more foliage variations and that is something I'm working on, as well as more rock models and such. I've also got a boat I'm working on slowly.

Thanks so much for your feedback.
  • MooseCommander
    Just a quick update. Rendered out my rocks in Marmoset to show off. Let me know what you think!

rivershack_rocks.jpg
  • King Mango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango polycounter lvl 10
    That shack and pier look dynamite.
    As far as constructive crits the only things I would mention are firstly, the wooden crate doesn't look practical in terms of its construction. The side walls are set a little too far in for my eye.
    Second, The rocks seem a bit plain shape wise and a little more like metal than stone with that bright specular.
    The tires on the pier are a really nice touch btw. :cheers:
  • MooseCommander
    King Mango wrote: »
    That shack and pier look dynamite.
    As far as constructive crits the only things I would mention are firstly, the wooden crate doesn't look practical in terms of its construction. The side walls are set a little too far in for my eye.
    Second, The rocks seem a bit plain shape wise and a little more like metal than stone with that bright specular.
    The tires on the pier are a really nice touch btw. :cheers:

Thanks Mango, you're right about the specular being too much. I fell into the trap of doing what looks cool, not what looks right. I think seeing it all shiny made me too excited! :poly121:

I think the crate definitely needs a few adjustments, and luckily pushing the polygons out on the inside isn't going to be difficult. Thanks!
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    To me the lighting seems really bland as well. It makes everything seem flat.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    yeah the lighting needs real work, it's bringing down the scene. Looking at it these are the main issues:

There's no contrast there and the shadows don't seem very promenant
  • MooseCommander
    To me the lighting seems really bland as well. It makes everything seem flat.

I appreciate the criticism, and it is very much a WIP. Could you be a little more specific in what I could do to improve my lighting? What would make the scene more interesting to you? Thanks.
  • MooseCommander
    Chimp wrote: »
    yeah the lighting needs real work, it's bringing down the scene. Looking at it these are the main issues:

There's no contrast there and the shadows don't seem very promenant

Thanks, I definitely understand what you mean and that's something I am struggling with at the moment. Once I finish all my assets and get them into Unreal I'll be focusing on improving the lighting and overall composition of the scene more.

Are there any particular tips or suggestions you have as to how I should improve the lighting? In the current shot all the shadows are facing away and being somewhat blocked by other objects, and my foliage shaders are not properly set up so there is still an issue there.
  • MooseCommander

I decided to create a nice looking sheet for my rocks and foliage. Made a few updates to both, tried to give the rocks more form as well as made another one.
  • chakkrit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like it so far :D

I know the lighting has been mentioned already, just wanna say that the image looks a little flat to me. The colour palette is quite monotonous. Maybe change the skybox for a blue one, to break up the horizon? Perhaps add a boat in the river, like red or something, gives it a focal point and creates depth.

I really like the water shader. Of course, everything I've said may go against your concept, it's just my observations. Keep it up though, should look awesome when it's done.
  • MooseCommander
    chakkrit wrote: »
    I really like it so far :D

I know the lighting has been mentioned already, just wanna say that the image looks a little flat to me. The colour palette is quite monotonous. Maybe change the skybox for a blue one, to break up the horizon? Perhaps add a boat in the river, like red or something, gives it a focal point and creates depth.

I really like the water shader. Of course, everything I've said may go against your concept, it's just my observations. Keep it up though, should look awesome when it's done.

Yes, the color palette is a big issue right now. I definitely need to break it up a bit more, and the jungle really doesn't feel like a jungle. It lacks the depth that's needed. It's coming along, slowly, but its coming along.

Thanks for your crits and feedback. :)
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    The rocks are greatly improved, much more visually interesting. I would say that the foliage is looking a little plastic though at the moment.
  • MooseCommander
    JamieRIOT wrote: »
    The rocks are greatly improved, much more visually interesting. I would say that the foliage is looking a little plastic though at the moment.

Yeah, I'm definitely having trouble getting them up to the same visual level my other assets are at. Foliage is tough, especially when I don't have good reference and I'm basically relying on CG Textures to help me find my way.
  • MooseCommander
    Latest update in UDK. Added the landscape, which I think needs some reworking, and added more foliage and props to the scene.

The post processing is in need of some major work. I realize its way too blown out at the moment.

rivershack_udk_wip03.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good so far - I love the rocks.

With regards to lighting, you could try getting in some classic complimentary colours, such as making the sunlight a bit more yellow or orange and the shadows a deep blue (View > World Properties > Lightmass > Environment Colour).
    Generally, outdoor shadows are the colour of your sky as that's what slightly illuminates the areas the sunlight doesn't directly touch.

As well as this, maybe moving your light source slightly to the right would help make shaded areas a bit more distinct.

Additionally, I think two of the main factors that should contrast in your scene are the sky and water - both of which I think would work well being a nice blue.
    At the moment they are a bit grey and brown.
    Perhaps hand-painting a beautiful deep sky as well as adding some colour to the water manually would have a good impact?

I hope that helps :)
  • MooseCommander
    SirCalalot wrote: »
    Looking good so far - I love the rocks.

With regards to lighting, you could try getting in some classic complimentary colours, such as making the sunlight a bit more yellow or orange and the shadows a deep blue (View > World Properties > Lightmass > Environment Colour).
    Generally, outdoor shadows are the colour of your sky as that's what slightly illuminates the areas the sunlight doesn't directly touch.

As well as this, maybe moving your light source slightly to the right would help make shaded areas a bit more distinct.

Additionally, I think two of the main factors that should contrast in your scene are the sky and water - both of which I think would work well being a nice blue.
    At the moment they are a bit grey and brown.
    Perhaps hand-painting a beautiful deep sky as well as adding some colour to the water manually would have a good impact?

I hope that helps :)

Yeah, it really helps! Thanks so much. I love your underwater scene, and your feedback definitely helps. I'll definitely do what I can to pump up the sky a bit, and the Environment Color option really helps. I was always looking for that but couldn't remember where it was. I'll try and improve the contrast and overall colors in the water. It's supposed to be a bit dirty and mirky, but I do want to maybe punch it up a bit more.
  • King Mango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango polycounter lvl 10
    Did you have anything specific in mind for the sky? It seems to be a tropical setting and one of the things I remember most about being in tropical areas all around the world are the absolutely BEAUTIFUL big thick, tall cumulonimbus clouds and the super cool blue that you just don't get moving away from the equator. Even in a highly urbanized area like Houston the skies are amazing.

Then again it all depends on what you're going for. I'm not a fan of the default UDK sky settings, but then again, skyboxes have always been one of if not THE first thing I do in a level. For me it helps cement the immersion while working.
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really awesome and I really like how the shack is rendered out. Have you thought of adding post like fog or something to that affect to add another level. The rocks are really cool did you sculpt them? Keep up the awesome work!