Home General Discussion

EA's the worst company in America for 2012

Replies

• Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I wonder how much of that has to do with ME3 being on Origin.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    Add this one to the pile of evidence that America has it's priorities all jacked up. A game developer gets top spot over a bank with shady practices... sooooo backwards.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Not that this will do much to stop them being dicks but at least people are starting to smell the shit in the roses'
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I think the part where they've been firing nearly all their non-development staff in the US and hiring labour in Asia at ridiculously low cost to keep their profit margins up might have something to do with it.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    ^^
    Except that, having your home taken by a bank while you're grieving over you dead husband, for reasons stated as "you're late on your fee's" is much worse then any stupid game EA might release.

Just saying, don't call something shit unless you have tasted some serious shit.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    They just seem to have become a horrible company since the problems with infinity ward came to light.....
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bank of America - responsible for losing tons of people their jobs and houses... w/e. But that ending to Mass Effect 3? FUCK THAT!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Doesn't mean much if the voting was manipulated by disgruntled Mass Effect 3 fans. It would mean something if it was voted worst by people that work for EA though...

But yeah they aren't really that conscientious a company.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Mathew O wrote: »
    They just seem to have become a horrible company since the problems with infinity ward came to light.....

What does EA have to do with the Infinity Ward debacle?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    seven wrote: »
    Add this one to the pile of evidence that Consumerist readers have their priorities all jacked up. A game developer gets top spot over a bank with shady practices... sooooo backwards.

I fixed your post for you.
  • seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    I fixed your post for you.

touche.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    That is the dumbest thing I've seen in a while. How many of Bank of America's costumers actually go online to check that website vs how many angry gamers spent all day trolling the web cause of ME3 or BF3 dissatisfaction?

BTW me and my wife work at EA and since the wive's lawsuit they changed a lot for the better. At least where me and my wife are at, Sims Studio and Maxis Emeryville it's a great place to work.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont know about in america but certainly in the game industry they earned it, i need to sell my stock in them bought it few years ago nothing but tanked since
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seven wrote: »
    touche.

The proper use of the word "touche", all is forgiven ;)
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    So this was like... an internet poll then?

*moves on*
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    People arent pissed cause of mass effect. They are pissed cause they try and nickel and dime you. Making you pay for everything, like online codes (which i think is a good idea, personally), and constant DLC, even on the first day of releases. Shit like that is why people on that site voted for them.

Might have to do with their constant layoffs as well.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Of course its going to vary greatly studio to studio when working for a massive publisher like EA. Most of the current hate is coming from ME3, BF3, Origin, day 1 DLC, and Dragon Age. I'm personally hoping Origin does well and becomes a real steam competitor, it could improve both platforms. And would never turn down a job at an published EA studio until I actually talked to people that have worked at that particular studio.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree about Origin. Steam needs a competitor and to be honest I don't see any problems with Origin. I don't understand the hate towards it.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    I'm sure it's all about timing and exposure. If the same poll was taken back in 2008 I'm sure one of the banks or insurance companies would be on the top of that list. AIG anyone?
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    ambershee wrote: »
    What does EA have to do with the Infinity Ward debacle?

Sorry I totally forgot that was activision and not EA.... I think it was because someone had mentioned MW3. My bad
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    eh, 2012 is still early on? shouldn't this be 2011. What if a company starts executing babies or something in q4
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Wesley wrote: »
    So this was like... an internet poll then?

*moves on*

Pretty much, yeah.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    As for BF3, origin isn't the problem its battlelog. The idea that you can't go invisible is just ridicules. I have lots of friends on there which is fine for when you want a team game but you know your not always in the mood for that.

I thought the whole design philosophy on BF3 was "play it your way".
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    The fact that they removed all split screen gameplay from all their titles; even the ones that started off as Arcade style games like Burnout and SSX made me very very very sad

but is Origins problems, and losing split-screen REALLY worse than people being forced out their homes for stealth taxing mortgage rates?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    They've worked hard and steadfast over many years to win this price!
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Wait wait wait. Weren't they regarded as a pretty evil company many years ago and then they changed their ways and became good again? What happened :S
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del wrote: »
    The fact that they removed all split screen gameplay from all their titles; even the ones that started off as Arcade style games like Burnout and SSX made me very very very sad

but is Origins problems, and losing split-screen REALLY worse than people being forced out their homes for stealth taxing mortgage rates?

Origins is fine, Steam needs to have some competition, especially on the larger scale of things. Steam did improve a couple of things since Origins came, for FYI for anyone keeping tabs on it.

Problem is, most of the polls are voted by teens who follow online rioting like it's a holy grail, and home sitting nerds with smelly callous hands that smell like Cheetos and lotion.

People can vote against a company by saying 'No' to it, by not buying its stuff, and not pirating it (since lets face it, sometimes spending my bandwidth for piracy on certain games isn't worth it, morales and stuff).

So what do these savage, hand floating, love pillow humping, high-brow but low moral idiots do? Vote on a random internet poll complaining about how they got sodded over by said company, since they can't keep their cash in their pants.

It's nice to see the Koney2012 BS and pressing a Like button on the great interwebz on your Facebook is not lost to whiny bastards.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    origin is not ok with its data mining
  • artstream
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    eh, it's all crap. Business is business. If share holders govern a company, you can expect consistent behavior every time. It doesn't matter who they are. I think it's stupid to even have this kind of rating system in the first place. Someone or some company has too much time on there hands.
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    David-J wrote: »
    I agree about Origin. Steam needs a competitor and to be honest I don't see any problems with Origin. I don't understand the hate towards it.

Most of the complaints I've seen about Origin seem to be leveled at the EULA. I vaguely recall a clause which said something along the lines of "You agree to allow Origin to take a screenshot of your activities for 'commercial' reasons"
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nick2730 wrote: »
    origin is not ok with its data mining
    You can disable that last I recall, I don't use Origins, so I'm not sure how easy it is, but the difference between Steam and Origins was that that:

A) Steam 'asked' you if you wanted to be Data-Mined before the start-up, but even now people aren't sure if you're not being data-mined during gameplay.

B) Origins didn't ask you that, and you had to disable it manually later on, so for those people who didn't know any better or don't check installer options wouldn't pick up on it.

C) No one is sure if Origins data-mining was even more obtrusive then Steams or not since everyone was having a shouting match during that period of time, so anything at this point could have changed easily enough.

This is what I mean, if EA was evil, a well discussed point of the issue would have been useful and proved it, and this 'poll' wouldn't come as a surprise, but with all the nerd-fueled, stupidity-passions fused shouting, no one is sure of anything.

BTW, everyone I have asked so far told me that Origins is much more stable and functional then Steam, no slow speeds, no full servers, no 'Try again later, can't DL game' when you have it installed or pointless 're-patch stuff over 900 times because there is a loop error', so take it for what you will.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Now matter how much shit you dig up on EA or Origin you can't possibly claim them to be worse than Bank of America.
    I think it just shows that the voting is done by people who are completely ignorant of what the companies do, and this is pretty much just disgruntlement by gamers, who make up a good vocal portion of people who vote on things.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    That poll is bs. Because of ^
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kotaku has a higher web ranking than the consumerist :-P
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kotaku has a higher web ranking than the consumerist :-P

That's because of all the cosplay articles they have with big, fat, healthy titties in them ;P
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Completely agree. I bought BF3 on the basis BC2 was fucking amazing. Now I have no war games to play and ill be sticking with RO2 until the new Rainbow Six comes out. Origin is also a mess. It was complicated enough buying everything with all their "checks", EA really wants every damn penny for throwing their games back in your face and the artists dont get much in comparison. Its like hanging the mona lisa in a McDonalds.

Companies just cant handle money. When they become bored with their games theyll usually throw it out the window and milk the hell out of it. Or make a god awful sequel thats so cliche I have nothing to do but bitch to people who think they like it because they can't stand the idea of wasting $60.

Activision
    Jagex
    Blizzard
    EA
    Crytek (still EA)

Of course im probably being a little harsh but im not going to coat everything in sugar because im scared of insulting an industry im somewhat involved in. Im very skeptical about games and just because a friend of mine worked on one I wont go easy on it. Creating games has become so risky theres no room for innovation or originality anymore. Money has soiled development to have such strict guidelines theres now extremely mainstream genres and some are openly dubbed "clones" its sad really.

Indie studios are my love
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    This whole thread is ****ing ridiculous lol. EA makes great games. Sometimes they ask people to work extra overtime, just like pretty much every game company in the world. Yes ohhhhh myyyy goddddd they sell dlc at the same time that the game is initially released..... I can't believe they would do that (full on sarcasm). Yes origin isn't nearly as good as steam... All that article accomplished was to make me think that whoever wrote it or voted for ea is just really ignorant.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    AHAHAHAHH "they own the company that wrote mass effect 3's ending" wow. yea and that company made all the rest of mass 3 wich was fucking awesome. peoples sense of entitlement is fucked. its a game, if you dont like it, dont play it and shut the hell up. there are 1000s of others out there on store shelves waiting for you to buy them. Its supposed to be entertainment......not the end of the world. if you are not entertained......do something else.

ohhhh they sell day one DLC. so if you beat the game quickly, you can play more if it at your own optional choice to buy it. the dlc was budgeted separate, worked on by other teams sometimes and not something that is "supposed to be" in the final game.

online passes: wow, a company trying to make money off its products when gamestop is hurting the industry with its used games. I love the idea of being rewarded for buying games new and supporting developers. maybe if everyone bought games new and didnt save the 3-5 bucks gamestop charges less for the used copy, there might be a few less studio closed/layoff threads around here.

I have worked for EA montreal and have friends who worked for EA burnaby and both mine and their experiences were awesome. EA has also been putting out some fucking amazing games in the last 5 years or so, almost half my collection I have bought recently are EA titles.

the fact is, if you really dont like them for some other reason that they are a large company, just dont buy their games then. I enjoy playing high quality entertainment so I will continue to support them. articles like that just burn my asshole, written by ignorant people who have no idea what they are talking about.
  • R3D
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    consumer power!
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    consumer power? more like angry gamer rage.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Clearly you should've used 'hysterical'
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Insightful:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6TmTv6deTI"]Tasteful, Understated Nerdrage: A Tale of Two Companies - YouTube[/ame]
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    I wonder how much of that has to do with ME3 being on Origin.

um, i wonder if it had to do anything with the shitty ass ending!! :poly127:

ahahaha how did they beat out bank of america!