Home Technical Talk

Cg models Texturing .. Need Help

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
Hello guys

i have two Question about texturing models but cg models .
ok , when you have a hard surface model like a gun with alot of details . how are you going to texture it ? i don't think that i can unwrap it ? maybe ? because it have a lot of polys and hard to unwrap it .. wath the solution .?

my question number 2 is about zbrush model , how texturing a zbrush sclupting . it can't be unwrap it too . so how to texture it ? did i have to use baking nomal like in games models ?

Replies

• zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    My understanding is that for organic things such as z brush sculpts you would create a "mid poly" model which you could uv and then use displacement mapping to give you all the details.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i should use displacement map to get great details ? better then normal map ?
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    1) If i'm understanding you correctly, you are talking about unwrapping the high poly model? which is not required if you intend to bake to a low poly model.

2) i'm not too familiar with zbrush just yet but if its anything like mudbox you'd unwrap your base mesh before importing then paint, then bake a diffuse map out to the low poly. (could be wrong on this one though)
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Mike , but i'm talking about texturing hipoly modeling like for films
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    ok , when you have a hard surface model like a gun with alot of details . how are you going to texture it ? i don't think that i can unwrap it ? maybe ? because it have a lot of polys and hard to unwrap it .. wath the solution .?

If you're talking about games, then ultimately the model will need to be unwrapped, unless it's literally one color and you can just slap a shader on it.

If you're talking abotu movies, then I'm afraid I can't help you much. I think it's pretty much the same idea of unwrapping, but here the UV maps don't need to be squared (As in 512^2, 1024^2, etc). It could also be that shaders are a lot more prevalent here as well.

PS: I realize uv'd and textured assets are also applied to shaders, but I'm talking about you're typical blinn, or mental ray materials w/out mapping.

You can certainly use both. Use the displacement to take care of it larger details (wrinkles) and the normals for smaller detail (skin pores).

If you really don't care about good UV's, you can use the Zbrush UV Master and, after you polypaint it (Zbrush way of texturing, look up Spotlight), export the texture. Zbrush can generate some good UV's, but you really have to work for it. What I usually do is GoZ to Maya, then hit another button on my toolbar to send it to UVLayout, adjust the UV's, send it back to Maya, then send it back to Zbrush... kind of complicated, but I like doing it lol.
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    ayoub44 wrote: »

While a normal map basically "fakes" detail a displacement map actually changes the shape of your model. The downside is that using displacement maps requires you to tesselate your geometry a whole bunch but I believe that maya does this only at render time, which makes it a bit easier to work with.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys , now i understand how to texture zbrush models .. but still have a problem
    understanding how to texture hard surface , i will show you an exemple :

like this :

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7523/lr300r.jpg

here is wires :

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/455/lr300vp.jpg

see how he control texturing ? any helps ?
    and thanks guys :) you help a lot